HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 12, 2013, 07:13 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,522 Posts
Discussion
E-flite Carbon-Z Splendor with AS3X

BNF version at the moment

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodId=EFL10250

E-flite Carbon-Z Splendor AS3X (2 min 17 sec)

Looks very smooth with the AS3X

What do you F3A folks think to it ?
Dogdude is offline Find More Posts by Dogdude
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:50 PM
"Get off the runway!"
United States, TX, Hutto
Joined May 2012
550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdude View Post
BNF version at the moment

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodId=EFL10250

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGQCVZqc8hE

Looks very smooth with the AS3X

What do you F3A folks think to it ?
A little expensive considering the size. How about a kit sans running gear?
Da Big_G is online now Find More Posts by Da Big_G
Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:15 AM
SBSS, SVSS, SCCMAS, EBRC
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jan 2004
152 Posts
Would be ideal as a PnP without the AS3X or BNF Basic with a non AS3X receiver. Can't fly it in any contest with AS3X and would bring down the price.
Don McCullough is offline Find More Posts by Don McCullough
Old Mar 13, 2013, 05:18 AM
Marietta GA.
Joined Jan 2011
338 Posts
Yeah, I`m not a fan of that...It does look like it performs very well. but, I think 420.00 bucks for a foam plane is crazy even with electronics . When I used to fly Eflite I found it fell apart and the landing gear wouldn`t stay in it..It also takes an odd size battery as well.
mazjag is offline Find More Posts by mazjag
Old Mar 13, 2013, 06:19 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,522 Posts
Yes, I thought it was very exepnsive too
Not being any kind of competition flyer I didn't realise you couldn't use AS3X or other gyros, well you learn something new every day eh ?
Dogdude is offline Find More Posts by Dogdude
Old Mar 20, 2013, 03:21 PM
Joined Oct 2007
56 Posts
Weird pricing...
UniDaHero is offline Find More Posts by UniDaHero
Old Mar 20, 2013, 08:10 PM
Fly Every Day
United States, FL, Sebastian
Joined Apr 2001
801 Posts
A rigid piece of white plastic was included in the box with my plane. Does anyone know what this is? I put it next to battery for size identification.
pmmartin is offline Find More Posts by pmmartin
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:00 AM
Joined Feb 2012
116 Posts
I was wondering that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmmartin View Post
A rigid piece of white plastic was included in the box with my plane. Does anyone know what this is? I put it next to battery for size identification.
Mr Oz is offline Find More Posts by Mr Oz
Old Apr 10, 2013, 02:58 PM
Joined Feb 2012
116 Posts
I found out. It's bracing for the packaging of the plane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmmartin View Post
Mr Oz is offline Find More Posts by Mr Oz
Old Apr 28, 2013, 07:54 AM
Joined Dec 2009
23 Posts
I'm looking for a small field , winter practice F3A model. While I have been happy with the Horizon Products, particularly their E-Flight motors that I use in U/C Stunt and their customer service has been 100% , the cost of this model is exorbitant.
I work with a professional modeler who cuts some of the best foam model aviation products to be found anywhere.
The cost of foam , as we all know, is cheap and hot wire cutting tools are easy to fabricate and don't require a team of assemblers like a built up wood product does.
So, as I study this aircraft as it come delivered; considering electronics onboard, development costs, advertising, etc. I feel it should come in RTF at roughly $279 street price . That would still give them a tidy profit margin.
f.imbriaco is offline Find More Posts by f.imbriaco
Old Apr 28, 2013, 09:39 AM
Fly Every Day
United States, FL, Sebastian
Joined Apr 2001
801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.imbriaco View Post
I'm looking for a small field , winter practice F3A model. While I have been happy with the Horizon Products, particularly their E-Flight motors that I use in U/C Stunt and their customer service has been 100% , the cost of this model is exorbitant.
I work with a professional modeler who cuts some of the best foam model aviation products to be found anywhere.
The cost of foam , as we all know, is cheap and hot wire cutting tools are easy to fabricate and don't require a team of assemblers like a built up wood product does.
So, as I study this aircraft as it come delivered; considering electronics onboard, development costs, advertising, etc. I feel it should come in RTF at roughly $279 street price . That would still give them a tidy profit margin.
There are a ton of associated costs that you are totally missing. This isn't a garage operation but a well designed sofisticated model. Tooling and product development to produce something like this are unimaginable. How much do you think it cost just to develope and produce the receiver. Get real there!
pmmartin is offline Find More Posts by pmmartin
Old Apr 28, 2013, 12:12 PM
Joined Dec 2009
23 Posts
I stick by what I say.
Been In this hobby over 50 years, have competed and won at the highest levels, personally know manufacturing reps , etc.
The components , including development, are much lower than you can possibly imagine.

Let's end it now by saying we agree to disagree.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 01:35 PM
El Cajon, CA, USA
Joined Feb 2001
801 Posts
I'm not sure why beating your point into his head is helpful.

Let the market decide. Either they sell alot of them and you were wrong or they don't and you were right.

No reason to be aggressive about it.
Munch is offline Find More Posts by Munch
Old Apr 29, 2013, 12:19 PM
Joined Dec 2009
23 Posts
Thanks.
Old May 02, 2013, 12:59 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
7,157 Posts
Pricing is a tough thing to figure
The plane ain't cheap .
However ,it flies extremely well with or without the 635 rx.
haven't seen anything else in it's class size which is better - or in my opinion as good
the 47 " stuff too small - the 62" stuff costs more . and doesn't fly any better -
I just got another one ,which I am going to try powering differently.
It's a hobby- Been at it a long time and pattern planes have consumed the most time and experimentation.
As the model comes , it is way too "bright" for doing the FAI stuff - but reducing mechanical setups on servos and fiddling a bit on cg and expo- -it flies well, tracks well and has very little couple .
I have fallen in love with the new all foam concept - -I always wanted a plane which was "one piece"
. Lord knows I built enough wood n glass ones ---
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson