HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2003, 09:41 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,599 Posts
New Projects

Got a couple of old Sterling peanut scale 2 in 1 kits today. One builds a Jenny and the Spirit of St.Louis. The other a Sterman PT-17 and a Taylorcraft. The bi-planes are of the most intrest to me.

I've never seen such poor quality print wood. It looks like they attempted to use the printing process to die-cut the petrified wood used. The outline on many of the smaller parts is unusable, even for templates. The kits come with really nice sets of waterslide decals. The plastic cowls look too heavy to use, but these planes usually need extra weight in the nose.

I'm thinking of using 1/32 sheet tail surfaces and undercambered wings also from 1/32 sheet. Using the stick/tissue construction for the fuse. The Jenny looks like it may be quite easy to do with the fuse of 1/32 sheet too.

I'm open to suggestions from anyone who has experience converting Peanut scale designs to RFFS/actuator-type R/C. The actuators will NOT be mounted in the tail. Wondering about rudder vs. alieron and if the std. 13" span of these planes will provide enough wing area. I can easily enlarge them if needed. Anyone know if using the std. stick/tissue construction would save weight over the sheet methods I mentioned above.

TIA
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts