HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:04 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thai View Post
I'm going crazy trying to decide between the Reconn and QuadOcta. I was originally pretty set on the QuadOcta but I want the size, portability and ease of use indoors of the Reconn. Also want to be able to use an APSC camera because I'll get better photo and video quality on that compared to a GoPro 3.

I guess I'll have to sacrifice something.

My main goals would be to use FPV and make photos and videos for realtors, special events, etc. Kind of a side job - but not super high budget or too mainstream. I don't expect to film for RedBull or anything like that.

Does anyone have a photo of the Reconn next to a QuadOcta? Are there travel cases that will fit the QuadOcta?

Cheers.
Take a look at the Y6 - there should be space enough between the two front arms (depends on the lenght of the arms) but I am not sure since I dont have one from multiwii, just had another one about the same size and with 6x MT2216-900 & a Nex5n.

I have just built a bigger one but I am not that happy with it so I will build a smaller one again and this time I will use multiwii parts.
About 90% of all parts will be multiwii. With the experience from my old small Y6 (and the bigger one) I now know which parts to use to get the most efficiency and performance. I have had great succes using the small Y6 for exactly those kind of jobs your are aiming at.
Also, the Y6 can fly at higher winds than a quad, great for outdoor flying.

Just want to know the weight of the new 12x9mm arms please ...... Crazyj or Quinton?
tritan is offline Find More Posts by tritan
Last edited by tritan; Feb 04, 2013 at 04:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:05 PM
I dont work here
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Apr 2012
1,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmanAUS View Post
Finally got to the end of this forum... Wanted to at least flick over the post to make sure I wasnt asking the same question twice....

A quick background on me is I am a Private Pilot Fixed Wing... I have a RC Heli but had someone else build it for me.. So this is my first build. I work with Enterprise Servers all day everyday so this is my stress relief from work and wife...

I have a couple of problems firstly Q lives to close to me the temptation to order something from his store and have it delivered to the office by lunch time the next day is hard to resist. And thus far I think i have funded the down payment on his next house and we are only 4 weeks into the new year. The upside is for once I am supporting an online business that is in my own backyard rather than Hobby King in Hong Kong.

But I know its a problem that cant be fixed by this thread.

My actual problem that I need help from you guys & gals if any (dont think I have seen any posts by women) is I have 2 scarabs (Avatar & Quad X Stealth Reconn) both are built and have invaded my dinning room table. The Avatar hasnt been powered on or even had the esc's learned. My issue is with the Stealth.

I have plugged it in, the GUI loaded up calibrated my tx and also re run the calibration for the ACC and MAG but when I try ARM the paris and apply throttle I notice the bars for the engines are not even when sitting on a flat surface and depending on how much throttle I apply this differences will vary (Refer attached Pics) I did see a YouTube Video showing how to fix it but forgot to bookmark it and I bloody cant find it now.

I am taking my time with these builds as I have a DJI Phantom I am using as my trainer its more fun over a flight sim..

Couple of quick lessons I have learnt this far as a noob...

Take the prop's off. Got distracted by the wife forgot I hadnt taken them off yet when to test it in the GUI armed it applied full throttle and the little criiter leaps off the table at a million mile an hour. So I guess there is a reason Q write that on every web page "PROPS OFF" got it now....

The other lesson is prop direction on the phantom put the CCW prop on the CW motor and vice versa. Went to apply throttle and the thing nearly flipped over. Me thinking that was a little strange this thing hadnt behaved like that at all and I have put 10 - 15 3's lipo's through it. So me being a noob thinks more power instead of investigation the problem which was clearly trying to tell me something was wrong
So more power I gave it this time it flipped this time with enough force to rip a blade clean off on both props... Again Lesson learnt...

So back to my original problem which I am sure is me being a noob how do I make my thottle bar's even ????

Thanks in advance for your help
They look close enough to me

Before you fly you need to do the gyro and acc calibrations using the radio sticks, then it should be fine
Deet_aus is offline Find More Posts by Deet_aus
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:06 PM
Shipped to work. Wife safe.
Canada, eh?
Joined Jan 2007
794 Posts
Anyone know why the Vampire shows it with the T-Motors? But says it comes with CarbonBirds? And then the video on that page also claims to be CarbonBirds but wondering if they're actually T-Motors.

*Edit - Nevermind, they're both options.

I'm guessing the T-Motors are better? But are they alot better?
Thai is offline Find More Posts by Thai
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:23 PM
I dont work here
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Apr 2012
1,525 Posts
Quote:
I'm going crazy trying to decide between the Reconn and QuadOcta. I was originally pretty set on the QuadOcta but I want the size, portability and ease of use indoors of the Reconn. Also want to be able to use an APSC camera because I'll get better photo and video quality on that compared to a GoPro 3.

I guess I'll have to sacrifice something.

My main goals would be to use FPV and make photos and videos for realtors, special events, etc. Kind of a side job - but not super high budget or too mainstream. I don't expect to film for RedBull or anything like that.

Does anyone have a photo of the Reconn next to a QuadOcta? Are there travel cases that will fit the QuadOcta?

Cheers.
choose one, then later, get the other
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:50 PM
I dont work here
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Apr 2012
1,525 Posts
Those of you in the USA may want to look at this

And perhaps NOT take a holiday to Oregon

RFTC: Oregon Senate Bill 71 Bans FPV Flying and Other "Drones" (4 min 42 sec)
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:42 PM
Canada, eh?
Joined Jan 2007
794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deet_aus View Post
Those of you in the USA may want to look at this

And perhaps NOT take a holiday to Oregon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygoJo...ature=youtu.be
Makes you want to question the validity of your country being "free".
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:08 PM
Scarab Pro Pilot
United States, CA, Capitola
Joined Jan 2011
461 Posts
Quote:
Makes you want to question the validity of your country being "free".
The issue is a STUPID UNEDUCATED bureaucrate who know nothing of the hobby and is just being a total moron
piccolo831 is online now Find More Posts by piccolo831
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:58 PM
Trying to grow up !
Brazil, MG, Belo Horizonte
Joined May 2012
161 Posts
Quote:
Anyone know why the Vampire shows it with the T-Motors? But says it comes with CarbonBirds? And then the video on that page also claims to be CarbonBirds but wondering if they're actually T-Motors.

*Edit - Nevermind, they're both options.

I'm guessing the T-Motors are better? But are they alot better?
Probably as in photografic lenses there is a huge monetary gap betwen the average ones and the good ones. You can think data sheet is not too much, but to build this better you have to pay this price.
lt.Hayata is offline Find More Posts by lt.Hayata
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:40 PM
Canada, eh?
Joined Jan 2007
794 Posts
I'm 90% decided on the Vampire at the moment.

My motor options are the Carbonbird 775k (68g ea) or the T-Motor MT2216-11 800kv (88g ea). That's an extra 120g for the 'upgraded' T-Motor.

Are the T-Motors going to give me well in excess of an extra 120g lift capacity to justify it? Can someone shed some light on the pros/cons of these 2 motors for the Vampire? I'm also guessing the supplied ESCs will be fine for the T-Motors too. Thanks.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:46 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Nov 2002
2,545 Posts
What are you trying to lift? I can vouch for the CarbonBird 775kv motors on the Vampire. The setup carries:

FPV gear
Sony Nex5n with 18mm lens
HDMI to analog video converter
2650 4s 40c battery

Motors are using the 9x5 triple props so they can do even better with the DJI 10x3.8 props.

I need to measure the total flying weight but at this moment I would never consider getting larger motors. Maybe if you need to carry a regular SLR then the larger motors might do it.

-Jason
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:56 PM
Canada, eh?
Joined Jan 2007
794 Posts
Pretty much the same gear you listed, but probably a 5000mah 4s lipo, OSD, lipo alarm and additional LEDs. I would just rather get the best beneficial upgrades now then learn down the road I should've earlier.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:58 PM
SILURIA / UK
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2009
2,445 Posts
I'm running same as Jason on the Vampire. Lack of power is not an issue - even with a Nex5N on board!
Shikra is offline Find More Posts by Shikra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: MultiWii OSD - MWOSD NG
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:18 PM
Canada, eh?
Joined Jan 2007
794 Posts
Does the Vampire have a 1 motor redundancy? Can you safely land if one craps out?
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:41 PM
I dont work here
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Apr 2012
1,525 Posts
Quote:
Does the Vampire have a 1 motor redundancy? Can you safely land if one craps out?
I would say if a centre motor failed you would be alb to land, but if one of the corner motors goes then it will start to yaw. If you had headfree set up on a switch and reacted fast enough , you may get it to land ok
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:23 PM
Joined May 2011
369 Posts
New DJI Props

Hello,
Just wondeirng what your experience is like balancing the new 10x3.8 DJI props that Quinton is selling. The props is really efficient with the carbonbirds 775kv but found them to be difficult to get well balanced. They are kind of ok out of the box but to completely get rid of vibrations(often the prop adapters vibrate sideways while changing RPMs)I found that the blades and the hubs need balance...problem is they are not as consistent as the GWS tripple blades or other APC props I've tried. I know the hub reaming has an impact but I'm using the the stepped reamer from multiwiicopter.com (vs the conical ones that I have) and the holes are coming slightly bigger than the inserts I guess causing part of the inconsistency in balancing. Intrested to hear your opinions.
IconFlyer is offline Find More Posts by IconFlyer