HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old May 25, 2011, 04:32 PM
OS Sponsor
kinderkram's Avatar
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankers View Post
Please, do not buy one, we do not want that attitude or that negativity. There are many other projects around that would love the sales. We would rather keep the project friendly to be honest.
Good luck!

Trying to be friendly & helpful sometimes makes you an easy target @ RCG.
Jealousy and competition often rules the scene. I can tell ya.

You already attracted some of the most friendliest guys here, so ... good luck!

btw: Great project! Kept an eye on it for a year now and it looks potential.
Good things take their time but some guys want everything, now.

I think you should draw clearer lines between the different parts of the project so people don't get confused with OP, PP, CC or whatever.
kinderkram is offline Find More Posts by kinderkram
RCG Plus Member
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2011, 05:21 PM
Suspended Account
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2006
8,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankers View Post
I am trying hard not to get involved as I am busy with the project but some of the reactions here are heartbreaking.

The project is not 2 years old, we started coding in January 2010. This exaggeration to make us look bad is not fair. We have been going a lot shorter than many other projects that cost a great deal more and they don't have anywhere near the code quality, most are just forks from much older projects still.

There was a debate in the project if to even sell the boards for fear that people who have not helped would have some big sense of entitlement.

Please don't do this to us, we have worked long and hard on all this, mostly what we got along the way was attacks from commercial companies and a lot of hassle. Everyone in the project are volunteers and all of you could have helped us and we still need your help, not snide attacks like we are some large corporate business.

There has been a huge investment in people's time and money to bring this to everyone here, we make only a small margin on the boards to help people in the hobby and progress OpenPilot.

OpenPilot is non-commercial and non-profit project, we do this for fun only.


dankers i am involved for several reasons, one is the dedication you hard working fellas have done. im not expecting a computer control from nasa im just in it to see what has evolved and ofcourse the price is worth a look into what can and will be next! you guys have worked hard i seen that i have talked to you about it last year i always said i was interested,. unfortunately i cannot help in the code writing, but putting the word out i am good at. i think when you put anything out your going to have to allow for the negative thats all apart of marketing, the good people will outweigh anything else. keep up the hard work and i wish you guys more sucess, thanks for stopping by.
Quad_Addict is offline Find More Posts by Quad_Addict
Old May 25, 2011, 05:25 PM
Ready to fly MRs
Sid3ways's Avatar
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankers View Post
Please, do not buy one, we do not want that attitude or that negativity. There are many other projects around that would love the sales. We would rather keep the project friendly to be honest.
Please excuse my reaction, I would normally hop into your forums to read about once a month and when I saw this I thought I was going to see the full blown board. I was a little surprised to see less on the board than originally thought.

I will say for the price and how mature the 6DOF is, you guys are on the right track for possibly making the best platform out there.
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Old May 25, 2011, 05:36 PM
Z06 Tony's Avatar
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankers View Post
I am trying hard not to get involved as I am busy with the project but some of the reactions here are heartbreaking.

The project is not 2 years old, we started coding in January 2010. This exaggeration to make us look bad is not fair. We have been going a lot shorter than many other projects that cost a great deal more and they don't have anywhere near the code quality, most are just forks from much older projects still.

There was a debate in the project if to even sell the boards for fear that people who have not helped would have some big sense of entitlement.

Please don't do this to us, we have worked long and hard on all this, mostly what we got along the way was attacks from commercial companies and a lot of hassle. Everyone in the project are volunteers and all of you could have helped us and we still need your help, not snide attacks like we are some large corporate business.

There has been a huge investment in people's time and money to bring this to everyone here, we make only a small margin on the boards to help people in the hobby and progress OpenPilot.

OpenPilot is non-commercial and non-profit project, we do this for fun only.
Dave I know sideways and he is a good guy. I dont think he was trying to put the project down to hurt your feelings. I cant help with coding either but will help with testing. Should have my CC board Fri or Sat hopefully. Just in time for the loooong weekend. I should have mine flying within hours of getting it. I am EXCITED.
Z06 Tony is offline Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old May 25, 2011, 05:57 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2011
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUERGEN_ View Post
a beautiful part

there is a lack of sellers for Germany
www.openpilot.eu, my friend. Germany is part of Europe
elafargue is offline Find More Posts by elafargue
Old May 25, 2011, 08:53 PM
Registered User
gtoguy's Avatar
USA, CA, Healdsburg
Joined Dec 2007
205 Posts
How did I miss this???

I've been using the Ardupilot Mega for a while, playing with code mods and testing with fixed and quads. I must say that CC's code and hardware design blows it away. I desperately need a tiny 6DOF controller that I can put in a very small fixed wing airframe at a reasonable cost. I'm looking for an inertial platform for now, I don't can't use GPS (indoors). This is exactly what I need. Going to do more research tonight, read through the CC forums. Hopefully I can contribute to the team. Thanks, Paul

Edit: I meant "Open Pilot" not Copter Control, some confusion there on my part.
gtoguy is offline Find More Posts by gtoguy
Last edited by gtoguy; May 25, 2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old May 25, 2011, 09:26 PM
Registered User
USA
Joined Aug 2009
828 Posts
Hi. Congrats on your amazing achievement! Looks like it's flying great! Just wondering if there is code to output camera tilt and roll compensation servos yet for this platform. Thanks!
importon is offline Find More Posts by importon
Old May 25, 2011, 09:31 PM
TECH for XaircraftAmerica!
South Carolina
Joined Mar 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Tony View Post
Dave I know sideways and he is a good guy. I dont think he was trying to put the project down to hurt your feelings. I cant help with coding either but will help with testing. Should have my CC board Fri or Sat hopefully. Just in time for the loooong weekend. I should have mine flying within hours of getting it. I am EXCITED.
I will also help out where I can. I too am not a coder, but love testing the stuff out. I am excited to get this board and run it through its paces.

I hope OpenPilot , succeeds in everyway.
tc3wins is online now Find More Posts by tc3wins
Old May 25, 2011, 10:37 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2009
2,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by importon View Post
Hi. Congrats on your amazing achievement! Looks like it's flying great! Just wondering if there is code to output camera tilt and roll compensation servos yet for this platform. Thanks!
I was wondering/wish for the same thing. Could something be plug into the Flexi port. Opensource Lads probably have something up there sleeve.
NaterPin is online now Find More Posts by NaterPin
Old May 25, 2011, 10:40 PM
Suspended Account
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2006
8,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaterPin View Post
I was wondering/wish for the same thing. Could something be plug into the Flexi port. Opensource Lads probably have something up there sleeve.
well he does mention in the introduction that there "several possibilities" to do with flexi port
Quad_Addict is offline Find More Posts by Quad_Addict
Old May 26, 2011, 01:14 AM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
I'm on the fence on this one. I'm building up a few new quads for promotional work (demos) for our FPV gear (ImmersionRC) as well as aerial photo/video work and generally just for hobby purposes. Current quads I own use MK FC 1.2 with mkmag, but I'm tempted to try something else.

CC looks very tempting, as a developer myself I recognize the attention to detail and the fact that this clearly is something that was painstakingly put together with a levelheaded approach to the featureset and parts selection.

However, Arduino, or rather Multiwii, is what I've seen other folks use, which looks appealling as well. So a question for folks that jumped on the CC bandwagon which are familiar with MK and Arduino/Multiwii, why did you pick CC?

I'd be very interested to read your replies.

Cheers,

Sander - ImmersionRC

P.s. Dankers, OP TV 1 convinced me you have a very well rounded product here, my compliments, software suite and the integration with the hardware looks very well done.
ssassen is offline Find More Posts by ssassen
Old May 26, 2011, 03:05 AM
RTFM // copter damaged
warthox's Avatar
Joined Aug 2009
1,726 Posts
i got the board to test, here are my findings:


build:
i made an adapter board to adapt the op cc to the standart 45x45mm format.
see pics below.


setup:
it took a while till i found the gcs software. the homepage was a bit confusing at beginning.

its great that i dont need to upload any firmware or install drivers for the board.

setting up everything was easy. its great that u can choose the flight mode directly in the gcs.

the default values for the stabilization were not usable. i have set it up coarse following the setup guide. the guide is very good. http://wiki.openpilot.org/display/Do...ng++Multirotor

u should add a step after step3 http://wiki.openpilot.org/display/Do...+Started+Guide with tuning the stabilization http://wiki.openpilot.org/display/Do...ng++Multirotor

sometimes some values get lost sporadicly. i.e. i have set up the stabilization values and the values for the align correction of the board and after flying and reconecting sometimes the stabilization values were default or the align values were default.

statement from Ed:
We are hard at work on the issues you have mentioned, namely saving of some settings which had an issue (should be fixed in latest firmware) and a good packaging of the firmware for easy and foolproof upgrade procedure!


flying
the acro mode works good. the rate is a bit slow, i have to increase it. and do further tests.

the stable mode is the best i ever flew with. very good work guys. i can fly arround only using pitch and yaw. roll is stabilized perfectly.
thats also how i flew the stable mode in the videos.


conclusion

good:
- price
- easy setup
- no firmware/drivers needed
- flight mode setup direct in gcs
- good docu
- professional looking gui (best i saw so far)
- lots of options in gcs (u can set up everything; e.g. u can select the pinouts for every single motor)
- great stable mode


bad:
- default stabilzation values not usable
- non standart form factor for multicopters ( adapterboard needed)
- some values get lost sporadicly (see Ed's statement)

thats not all but these are the things that come to mind now the most.

all in all i think this project has a great future and the cc hardware is absolutly worth the money.


i saw that QA already posted the videos but for completeness i add them here to my report.

openpilot coptercontrol - testflight no1 (2 min 34 sec)


openpilot coptercontrol - testflight no2 funfly (3 min 9 sec)


openpilot coptercontrol - testflight no3 (2 min 29 sec)
warthox is offline Find More Posts by warthox
Last edited by warthox; May 26, 2011 at 05:02 AM.
Old May 26, 2011, 03:19 AM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Thanks Warthox,

Very useful info! I never really 'abuse' my quads like you do as with FPV flying that would be vomit inducing, but it is good to see CC holds up even with that.

Ordered 3 CC boards, can't hurt to keep a spare

Cheers,

Sander - ImmersionRC
ssassen is offline Find More Posts by ssassen
Old May 26, 2011, 03:21 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warthox View Post
i got the board to test, here are my findings:
warthox, the links are busted (looks like forum copypaste, and they have the ...'s inside them.

In other news i welcome the destruction of whatever multiwii board you had used to mount CC
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Old May 26, 2011, 03:44 AM
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
JUERGEN_'s Avatar
Deutschland
Joined Nov 2009
660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankers View Post
......,

OpenPilot is non-commercial and non-profit project, we do this for fun only.
forget the neider

and keep going at its target.

JUERGEN_ is offline Find More Posts by JUERGEN_
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion The Aussie RCG Coffee thread (aka "we don't drink instant") glydr Australia 164 Sep 08, 2012 04:33 AM
Discussion NEW? -Openpilot flight controller tc3wins Multirotor Talk 229 Mar 02, 2012 06:14 PM
Discussion Share your art! PinkYakRC Painting and Finishing Tips 13 Apr 27, 2011 08:04 PM
Discussion RCG 07 JR Indoor Live Coverage Thread Jim T. Graham JR Indoor Electric Festival 19 Nov 04, 2007 02:36 PM
Discussion My first RCG flame thread WBE Chit Chat 6 Sep 04, 2007 10:17 PM