HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2002, 07:48 PM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,585 Posts
Super Doubler

I picked this model up from a local who had too many projects (18) and I intend to convert it to electric just like he had. For those of you who aren't sure what a Doubler is, the picture below is of Sig's .15 sized version. The one I have is a .40 size version that I belive was from Lincks Models.

The plane started its life as a glow plane and used about a .40 size engine, but I'm looking to put a big piece of purple in it.

The Motor of choice seems to be the Hacker B50-13s with a 6.7:1 GB. Most of the combos seem to have between a 15 and 18 inch prop. Unfortunatly a 14" prop is all I'm going to be able to muster.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a Hacker B50 (geared) that I could run between 12-16 cells on say a 14 x 10 prop. I think I could go to a 15" if I absolutely had to, but there would be no prop clearance at all. (3 point TO and landing)

Currently with nothing it it, the airframe weighs roughly 3 lbs, but I think I can shave at least a half pound off of that.

Heres some specs on it.

Span:52"
Length:42"
Wing area is 570 sq. in.

I'm hoping for an all up weight of about 7 lbs. I'll use Hitec 225's on everything. Thankfully there are only three servos in the whole plane.

Thanks in advance.

--Paul
Paul Susbauer is offline Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2002, 12:00 AM
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Feb 2002
2,136 Posts
The Hacker you mentioned -- B50-13S, 6.7 gear setup is the same as the Venus -- it's 16cells and a 15x10 prop. Since it looks like ground clearance is a problem, you could go to a B50-13L, 3.7 and a 14x10APCe on 16cells. It will fy fast. Another choice it to drop down to a 13x10, lose a little thrust and gain speed (if that's what your plane likes) and get more ground clearance and more time in the air. This will be at or below 40amps and allow you to use 3000HV nimhs for more duration.

You should also consider 3 or 4 bladed props if you don't have clearance.
kmashima is offline Find More Posts by kmashima
Old Aug 26, 2002, 01:29 AM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,585 Posts
Hmmm.....well because the Doubler looks more like a little F1 racer, I could use more speed than thrust so the 13L on a 13 x 10 would be perfect both ground clearance wise, current draw, etc..... sounds good. I'll probably do this. Thankfully there is room for those 16 cells.

--Paul
Paul Susbauer is offline Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor