HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2014, 05:37 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Argyll and Bute
Joined Oct 2012
819 Posts
Video
Hz Supercub (floats)

The flying weather in Scotland hasn't been so good lately so having to look back a few months to the 'good' times
nicktwinnflying (1 min 55 sec)
drambuidhe is online now Find More Posts by drambuidhe
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2014, 05:11 PM
Flap flier
Sweden
Joined Aug 2011
346 Posts
Nice! Was the landing in fpv? Impressing!
Flahultarn is offline Find More Posts by Flahultarn
Old Nov 17, 2014, 02:01 AM
Joined Oct 2012
819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flahultarn View Post
Nice! Was the landing in fpv? Impressing!
Thanks- no I can't lie, I chickened out with the fpv for a landing. If I'd got it wrong I would have had a cold swim
Old Nov 17, 2014, 02:20 AM
Flap flier
Sweden
Joined Aug 2011
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drambuidhe View Post
Thanks- no I can't lie, I chickened out with the fpv for a landing. If I'd got it wrong I would have had a cold swim
Haha, chicken I'm just in the start of my flying experiences but have thought that landing FPV on flat water must be doable. Large and infinite landing strip! But that is theoretical, might be different IRL though...
Old Nov 17, 2014, 03:28 AM
Joined Oct 2012
819 Posts
Quote:
Haha, chicken I'm just in the start of my flying experiences but have thought that landing FPV on flat water must be doable. Large and infinite landing strip! But that is theoretical, might be different IRL though...
Well yes, water does provide a nice large and sometimes flat surface to land on, but don't forget what you see through your fpv transmissions isn't as good as your HD footage watched later
On a totally mirror calm day I tried it and hit the surface at way too much speed and she nosed right over.
An ex-BA pilot I fly with reckons there's many a full scale float plane that's done the same , the mirror flat water makes it difficult to judge distance from , I can vouch for that one
Here's one of my first (desperate ) successes though
nicktwinnflying Super cub fpv float plane (10 min 57 sec)
Old Nov 17, 2014, 04:35 AM
Flap flier
Sweden
Joined Aug 2011
346 Posts
Hey man, I'm impressed by a number of things in your vid=) On two (didn't learn my lesson from the first) flights I've got carried away and been flying out down wind and not been able to get home again and as you say hearing the motor to loose power is frustrating. I'm flying in woodlands so in the moment I got near the ground I lost video so not possible to land the excellent way you did. I guesss you felt quite satisfied after that landing! I had to order a new glue after my disasters...

What FPV-setup do you run? Guess you have an OSD so har far out were you at the most?
What size battery? I'm flying a Fun cub recently redesigned for twin motors and using a 4S 2200 I'm hoping for about 15 min flight time that might give some more safe margin and still be able to fly more freely.

You don't happen to record the FPV-cam? Would be very interesting to see this vid from that perspective together with the OSD info...

Scotland is the kind of landscape I like the most =)
Old Nov 17, 2014, 02:59 PM
Joined Oct 2012
819 Posts
Quote:
Hey man, I'm impressed by a number of things in your vid=) On two (didn't learn my lesson from the first) flights I've got carried away and been flying out down wind and not been able to get home again and as you say hearing the motor to loose power is frustrating. I'm flying in woodlands so in the moment I got near the ground I lost video so not possible to land the excellent way you did. I guesss you felt quite satisfied after that landing! I had to order a new glue after my disasters...

What FPV-setup do you run? Guess you have an OSD so har far out were you at the most?
What size battery? I'm flying a Fun cub recently redesigned for twin motors and using a 4S 2200 I'm hoping for about 15 min flight time that might give some more safe margin and still be able to fly more freely.

You don't happen to record the FPV-cam? Would be very interesting to see this vid from that perspective together with the OSD info...

Scotland is the kind of landscape I like the most =)
Hi Flahultarn,
The fpv kit is Immersion 600mw vtx with stock rubber duck antenna
Immersion Patch Spironet 13dbi antenna on Immersion Uni vrx
Powered off dedicated 2s 1000mah lipo
No osd (then) just battery alarm.
Flight battery- 3s 2200 Zippy Compact(good for >18mins)
No other camera- No16 used for flight record and fpv.
Thanks
Old Nov 17, 2014, 03:09 PM
Flap flier
Sweden
Joined Aug 2011
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drambuidhe View Post
Hi Flahultarn,
The fpv kit is Immersion 600mw vtx with stock rubber duck antenna
Immersion Patch Spironet 13dbi antenna on Immersion Uni vrx
Powered off dedicated 2s 1000mah lipo
No osd (then) just battery alarm.
Flight battery- 3s 2200 Zippy Compact(good for >18mins)
No other camera- No16 used for flight record and fpv.
Thanks
Ok, thanks for the info! Suprised it can take the weight as good as it does...
Old Nov 18, 2014, 03:07 AM
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Apr 2013
94 Posts
Nice videos. I'd like to build a similar FPV plane.
I have the spironet patch antenna on my receiver as well and I wanted to mention that because it is a CP antenna it would be better matched with a CP antenna on the transmitter. If i remember correctly there's a 3dbi loss going from a linear antenna to a CP, and 3dbi theoretically doubles range. Your video looks great but if you want an increase in range and decrease in interference I think a CP on the transmitter would be worth it.
thehelidude is offline Find More Posts by thehelidude
Old Nov 18, 2014, 04:16 AM
Joined Oct 2012
819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehelidude View Post
Nice videos. I'd like to build a similar FPV plane.
I have the spironet patch antenna on my receiver as well and I wanted to mention that because it is a CP antenna it would be better matched with a CP antenna on the transmitter. If i remember correctly there's a 3dbi loss going from a linear antenna to a CP, and 3dbi theoretically doubles range. Your video looks great but if you want an increase in range and decrease in interference I think a CP on the transmitter would be worth it.
Hi Helidude, I usually do use an Immersion cp antenna on the vtx on my other planes . The furthest I've been is around the 3.5 km mark. I used the rubber duck antenna on the seaplane to add a bit more weight forward and to see how it performed , since it had lain in the box the vtx had come in and never been used.
I've been gobsmacked by its performance to be honest!
I generally fly lower with the seaplane so didn't expect much range.
The weird thing is I am getting just as far as the cp and swear I have a sharper pic??
nicktwinnflying (8 min 21 sec)