SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 02, 2014, 09:14 PM
Greensboro, Pa.
Joined Jun 2002
159 Posts
Discussion
Airfoil

I am really interested in these flying wings. So I was wondering what airfoils are best. I'm planning on mostly thermal flying off of a winch or hi-start unless I can find a place to slope off of.
PDARR is offline Find More Posts by PDARR
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2014, 04:39 AM
United Kingdom, Kent
Joined Nov 2004
872 Posts
Pick something with a low pitching moment, if you're building a swept wing for thermal use the EH3/12 is a good section. Build in about 4 deg of washout, and keep the model as stiff and light as possible. I'm sure others will chip with more specific advice if you post a few ideas....
miniphase is offline Find More Posts by miniphase
Old Oct 08, 2014, 12:29 PM
Ukraine, Crimea, Ordzhonikidze
Joined Jul 2012
39 Posts
MH45 incorporate in good design.
Drinkes is online now Find More Posts by Drinkes
Old Oct 09, 2014, 12:01 AM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,619 Posts
The airfoil really goes with the design. Some use swept wings with the same airfoil for the whole span and give the wing the washout needed. Others avoid some or all the washout by using different airfoils between root and tip. Then there's plank style wings which need more than just a low pitching moment airfoil. Most regular cambered airfoils produce a negative pitching moment. For a plank style wing (as in no significant amount of sweep) one has to go beyond that and use a positive pitching moment airfoil. These are the ones with an "S" shaped reflexed camber line.

There's a surprising amount of information on a variety of web sites about flying wing airfoils for both swept and plank styles. I'd list the links but you can find them just as easily by doing a google search for "flying wing airfoils" since that all I did.
BMatthews is online now Find More Posts by BMatthews