SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 13, 2014, 11:08 PM
United States, AZ
Joined Jul 2010
46 Posts
Discussion
Hobbyking LET 13 Blanik

When I was looking at photos on Hobbyking's Facebook, I saw that they had a Blanik. I'm wondering if this is a new plane coming out.
DJROTC is offline Find More Posts by DJROTC
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2014, 11:07 AM
United States, PA, West Chester
Joined May 2012
113 Posts
Googled around myself and only found what you found, looks very interesting! Hopefully we hear more soon, Hobbyking seems to have a lot of airplanes in the works.
Citationfxr is offline Find More Posts by Citationfxr
Old Oct 02, 2014, 02:41 PM
Joined Aug 2014
138 Posts
There are several on line hobby shops that carry the FMS L-13 Blanik. Diamond, Motion RC, Hobby GoGo to name a few.

I have heard that it needs a little more power. I would like to know if that's true.
JWDen is offline Find More Posts by JWDen
Old Oct 15, 2014, 01:41 AM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,894 Posts
Pulled the trigger on the new Hobby King 2300mm Blanik! I love the L-13 Blanik and really looking forward to this larger model. Hopefully, it will be at my door within the next 5 days.

Best,
Tony
xplaneguy is offline Find More Posts by xplaneguy
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2014, 02:40 AM
Osijek, Croatia
Joined Oct 2010
151 Posts
Check this out

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00mm_PNF_.html
gcok is offline Find More Posts by gcok
Old Oct 15, 2014, 09:20 AM
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2012
1,089 Posts
Nice price point for this size of glider.
jwellsy is online now Find More Posts by jwellsy
Old Oct 15, 2014, 09:53 AM
Geez That's A Big Fly
Australia, WA, Parkerville
Joined Sep 2011
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWDen View Post
There are several on line hobby shops that carry the FMS L-13 Blanik. Diamond, Motion RC, Hobby GoGo to name a few.

I have heard that it needs a little more power. I would like to know if that's true.
The FMS L-13 is not the same one it is a 1500mm and runs on 2s.

Shaun.
Banjofrog is offline Find More Posts by Banjofrog
Old Oct 15, 2014, 03:35 PM
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2012
1,089 Posts
The USA warehouse currently has it for $175. The international warehouse has a popup price of $148. I wonder how much of a difference there is in shipping between the two?
jwellsy is online now Find More Posts by jwellsy
Old Oct 15, 2014, 06:18 PM
Joined Aug 2014
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjofrog View Post
The FMS L-13 is not the same one it is a 1500mm and runs on 2s.

Shaun.
I understand that now, but there no mention of the size in the original post.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 08:22 PM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Sep 2012
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
The USA warehouse currently has it for $175. The international warehouse has a popup price of $148. I wonder how much of a difference there is in shipping between the two?
Probably a massive price....it would need to fit into an oversized box and then shipping is expensive.

Just placed an order for one from the AUS warehouse as I checked the shipping from the Intl warehouse and it was something like $100 + to ship to where I am.

So I would rather it come from the Aus warehouse where shipping is $28

If thats any help.
drone19730602 is offline Find More Posts by drone19730602
Old Oct 15, 2014, 11:52 PM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,585 Posts
As some have already pointed out, this is not the FMS model.

This model is recommended at 4S packs, which provides plenty of power, though it flies quite well on a 3S 3000~3300mah pack. This is what I was flying it on last weekend in completely dead air.

3S - Powered trainer glider, still do loops/rolls
4S - Plenty of power, rarely ever use full power. No hotliner.

A little shot of the group from last weekend's slope sess.... (failed slope....wind died)

HK Product Team
Paul Susbauer is offline Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 16, 2014, 09:28 AM
Joined Aug 2014
138 Posts
It looks really good, but maybe a little too big for some of us due to wingspan.. If the wings are easily removable that may mitigate the size issue. For some planes, it's a pain. Personally I don't like having to remove the wings on a plane with flap and aileron servos. But that's just me. Others may be ok with that.

I'm looking forward to more posts from people that have bought this or will buy it. If they are positive, I may have to change my mind. I will definitely buy the FMS version because it's what I consider the perfect size. Again, that just me. Others may disagree. I have the FMS Moa and I love it. The FMS L-13 has the same power train and weighs almost the same so it should be OK. .

Full disclosure: in the good old days (or bad old days?), I had a lot of 2 and 3 meter sailplanes. I had a different, larger car back then, also the wings were easier to remove (most of them were rubber/ elevator only, so no issues with the wing servos).

HK may have a winner if this is a well built, good flying glider. It certainly looks good. .
Last edited by JWDen; Oct 16, 2014 at 09:34 AM.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:49 AM
Keep calm and don't blink
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2005
2,094 Posts
Quite keen on this model. I don't really need it, but it is one of those models that I feel is just a pain not to have

Here is the full size glider that the HK Blanik was modelled on. It would not have been my first choice and may cause orientation problems at height. May need to give it some mods - maybe some Red Bull stickers?

KiwiKid is online now Find More Posts by KiwiKid
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by KiwiKid; Oct 16, 2014 at 11:45 AM.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 05:42 PM
Lindenwold, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKid View Post
Quite keen on this model. I don't really need it, but it is one of those models that I feel is just a pain not to have

Here is the full size glider that the HK Blanik was modelled on. It would not have been my first choice and may cause orientation problems at height. May need to give it some mods - maybe some Red Bull stickers?

That full size glider has been grounded worldwide for a few years due to metal fatigue problems. Many clubs, commercial operations and individual owners are left with these giant airport planters. Most of these gliders could be bought for less than $15,000 before the grounding. Now it takes about $40,000 in modifications to get each L-13 back into the air.
John Gallagher is offline Find More Posts by John Gallagher
Old Oct 18, 2014, 11:11 PM
Do a Barrel Roll!
United States, OH, Medina
Joined Jun 2005
1,023 Posts
The soaring club I recently joined has a grounded L-13
They say it will likely never get fixed.
Luckily they have a few other 2 place gliders. I'm training and solo'd on the L-23 now.
rcbif is offline Find More Posts by rcbif