HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2013, 06:48 PM
Old Duffer
United States, ME, Portland
Joined Feb 2013
287 Posts
Idea
Pilot House doors.

I needed a couple of pilot house doors for "Nonesuch" a phantom old-style small pushboat I'm building. I started out milling some oak (this is a poorman's boat, an upscale would have been mahogany or cherry). In any case, I started by trying to mill some oak out of material I had on hand and was glad that I only needed two doors because the building was slow going.
On a visit to the local home goods store I happened across some pre-glued oak veneer and thought for a little over $5 it was worth a try for the doors.
The material is 0.031 thick, and after the panels, stiles, and rails are all glued together makes a rigid plywood-type structure that finishes like any other wood. The directions are to use a standard household iron set on "cotton" (high heat). I discovered that moving the iron while it is in contact with the wood will pull the pieces. This can be overcome because there is a small window of time when the pieces can be moved prior to the glue setting hard.
I've included a few photos of how I went about it. I doubt this is anything new, but it was new to me, and has worked out very well for my needs.
Garboard is offline Find More Posts by Garboard
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2013, 07:42 PM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2006
1,327 Posts
More reason I love this forum so much!

Thanks for sharing.
Rmay is online now Find More Posts by Rmay
Old Nov 19, 2013, 12:50 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,728 Posts
Yep, ideas,ideas,ideas I love it.
Predreadnut is offline Find More Posts by Predreadnut
Old Nov 19, 2013, 07:07 AM
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
4,282 Posts
That's Great!
Jerome Morris is online now Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
Old Nov 19, 2013, 01:29 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,196 Posts
Wish Ida seen it a long time ago, doors take up so much time ~
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 03:10 PM
Old Duffer
Joined Feb 2013
287 Posts
Thank you. I had hoped it would help someone out.
I've attached a couple of photos of the doors in the mocked up deckhouse of "Nonesuch".
Nothing is fastened as I have a lot to do to the interior (paint, console, pilot house deck, bench, radiator, etc.) The console will be components built pretty much the same way as the doors, then installed after it's wired and the gauges, sticks, and throttles are placed.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 04:06 PM
Old Duffer
Joined Feb 2013
287 Posts
Here's a couple of photo's of the console I'm building for the towboat using the same material.