SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 27, 2013, 07:45 AM
Canada, ON, Innisfil
Joined Aug 2010
507 Posts
Discussion
Guardian Expander - yaws/drifts to right when on

I've been trying to sort out an issue with my guardian expander and after a few days of googling and searching the threads, haven't found anything that seems to have solved it (yet!). Running all latest firmware as of data recorder 10.52. Gain controlled via aux knob.

When I turn the gain up to even just 1 with heading hold enabled, it levels the plane but then beings a gradual yaw to the right (slowly turning a few degrees a second to the right).

It is enough that no matter what gain setting I pick, I almost immediately move the stick ever so slightly back to the left to counteract it.

If I turn the gain to 0, plane will fly straight and level (as it is trimmed that way) or as level as any RC plane can get when up in the sky lol.

---

Here are the steps I have taken:

1. Run servo wizard again just to be safe

2. I have reset sticks/cruise a couple of times to ensure that the trims were accepted.

3. Confirmed level of expander in plane by using small light bubble levels on horizontal stab and on top of expander.

4. Verified that when flying the horizon lines are level with the horizon.

5. Stabilizer overall gain is set to 5 but is overridden by the gain knob.

Every other setting is default (since I recently did a factory reset of the settings to get my tracker working) and return to home does work (though I have not turned it yet to make it perfect).

Any other tips?

Thanks
Tim
Thorvald is offline Find More Posts by Thorvald
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2013, 07:44 PM
Canada, ON, Innisfil
Joined Aug 2010
507 Posts
I checked today on a flight to see if the "R" value was changing and it did not... so I assume this means the stab was not commanding the rudder channel to move? Or do you not see heading hold stab values on the servo stats? (only your own inputs?).

I've also noticed the horizon indicate lags by a good half second or so it would seem, might be part of the cause but not sure.

I finally have a mini DVR coming so I'll be able to record what's happening soon.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 08:16 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
1,050 Posts
Hi Thorvold, does your plane fly straight and level with all stabilization turned off? Including powered and unpowered.

You may need to Reset Level Pitch and Roll during flight in the OSD.

Geoff
garris2 is offline Find More Posts by garris2
Old Jul 29, 2013, 09:27 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Apr 2013
497 Posts
Thorvald,

I would like to see the AHI movement while hold and moving the plane in your hands. When you get your DVR please post a video. Or, just video the monitor with handheld camera or camera on a phone. It doesn't need to be really high quality.

A couple of notes/questions;

Do you have ailerons or rudder connected to the OSD Pro?

Do you have heading hold enabled?

It is best to run the servo analysis wizard after you have “Reset Cruise Sticks/Throtl” and "Reset Level Pitch and Roll"
JohnET is offline Find More Posts by JohnET
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 29, 2013, 01:10 PM
Canada, ON, Innisfil
Joined Aug 2010
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnET View Post
I would like to see the AHI movement while hold and moving the plane in your hands. When you get your DVR please post a video. Or, just video the monitor with handheld camera or camera on a phone. It doesn't need to be really high quality.
Will do!

A couple of notes/questions;

Do you have ailerons or rudder connected to the OSD Pro?
Ailerons

Do you have heading hold enabled?
Yes

It is best to run the servo analysis wizard after you have “Reset Cruise Sticks/Throtl” and "Reset Level Pitch and Roll"
Might need to redo this then. May have done out of order.
Thanks John, see answers above.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 01:14 PM
Canada, ON, Innisfil
Joined Aug 2010
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garris2 View Post
Hi Thorvold, does your plane fly straight and level with all stabilization turned off? Including powered and unpowered.

You may need to Reset Level Pitch and Roll during flight in the OSD.

Geoff
The plane with the throttle set at half (my cruising speed) is trimmed out nice and will fly pretty good, but of course it will get blown around by wind etc. The EasyStar 2 is not what I would call a rock stable flyer if there is any wind at all, tends to twitch around a lot. Dead calm yes it's nice.

Any change to the throttle throws the trim out of course as I would expect, so I have no idea how you can set trim for nice and level with throttle off and on?

If I add throttle, I climb (but stay wings level for the most part), reduce throttle, loose altitude (obviously).

When I do a video you should see that the plane is happy at cruise, add stab set to even 1 and it will begin to veer to right.

Cheers
Tim
Old Jul 30, 2013, 09:11 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
1,050 Posts
Hi Thorvold, yes its difficult to get satisfactory trim at different throttle settings.

My Cularis wants to climb when I apply throttle and if I put the CofG further back it becomes very twitchy on elevator input.
So the best I can come up with is to mix in some down elevator as throttle increases.

When you run the servo analysis wizard the osd will record the different elevator settings at the different throttle settings.

Geoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorvald View Post
The plane with the throttle set at half (my cruising speed) is trimmed out nice and will fly pretty good, but of course it will get blown around by wind etc. The EasyStar 2 is not what I would call a rock stable flyer if there is any wind at all, tends to twitch around a lot. Dead calm yes it's nice.

Any change to the throttle throws the trim out of course as I would expect, so I have no idea how you can set trim for nice and level with throttle off and on?

If I add throttle, I climb (but stay wings level for the most part), reduce throttle, loose altitude (obviously).

When I do a video you should see that the plane is happy at cruise, add stab set to even 1 and it will begin to veer to right.

Cheers
Tim
garris2 is offline Find More Posts by garris2
Old Sep 30, 2013, 08:28 AM
Canada, ON, Innisfil
Joined Aug 2010
507 Posts
Well I've finally got a recorder and have been doing more tests. Sure enough, I find that when the motor is on (pusher prop, EasyStar2), it drifts all over the place with heading hold.

With motor off, it's not too bad but still drifts a little but I think that may simply be due to not having a magnetic compass and not fully understanding how heading hold works. I assumed that as soon as I let go of the sticks in level flight it would "hold that heading" like a rock. However it does not and the compass tape drifts over...

I switched to stabilize Center sticks only and turned off heading hold, now it is a little more manageable. Doesn't try to hold a heading (didn't before anyways yet) but now it behaves like a regular stabilizer. Still drifts bad when motor is on so I suspect rudder or vibration issues (guardian is velcroed to bottom of front of plane under canopy).

Will experiment more this week hopefully.

Cheers
Tim