HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:25 PM
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2003
1,286 Posts
Question
Powerhouse construction

Hello all I am about to embark on a build of a 1/2A sized Powerhouse short kit from Bob Holmann, however, after studying the plans, looking over the parts and searching the many build threads of the Powerhouse on E-Zone I still am a bit stuck on a construction technique and feature of the Powerhouse.

While the trailing edges on most of these styles of models are of the tapered balsa (triangular) style the Powerhouse design employs a flat sheet supported at a slight upward angle by steps cut in the back end of the ribs and the underside of this TE piece is sanded with a slight bevel to conform to the undercamber profile of the airfoil. Somehow this TE piece is married to the tip pieces, which then must lie flat and will terminate at the midpoint of the LE profile. These tip pieces support the back ends of the two tip ribs which have the notches cut on the bottom surface of the ribs.

Now, in my head, I believe I have a mental picture of how this all fits together and it probably is much easily done rather than trying to figure it out. I just want to have things in line before I start gluing wood together and makle foolish mistakes.

So what I am asking is that anyone who has built a Powerhouse could PLEASE help me out and possibly post pictures of how the whole wing tip, TE spar assembly goes together. I would be forever grateful.

I have included a link to show how the wing is designed and hopefully will make it easier to understand what I am trying to explain.http://www.theplanpage.com/Months/2101/phpt2.htm

Thank you in advance for any help that is offered.

Greg Knipp
Greg Knipp is offline Find More Posts by Greg Knipp
Last edited by Greg Knipp; Jan 31, 2013 at 05:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:40 AM
Chad H Fly`n Farmer
Ancaster, Ontario Canada
Joined Nov 2007
275 Posts
Bob`s doin` one here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1809223

He should be able to help you out.

Also, go back to the start of the "Vintage & Old-Timer Designs" forum, click on the blue bar in the upper right where it sais "search this forum", and type in Powerhouse, or Powerhouse build ect. Try different wording.

You should get some threads, and a build or two on it. It`s a very popular, cool looking, and good flying model.

Also, ask williame3590, he has no less than 3 full size, and one the size you are constructing.

You will get lots of help here, they are all good guys. Even the ones from England!

Lmao.................Chad.
Chad H is offline Find More Posts by Chad H
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:58 AM
Upper Arlington, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,519 Posts
Long time ago, but I just filled in with some liberally glue TE stock for a smaller plane at the tips
RyanNX211 is offline Find More Posts by RyanNX211
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:48 PM
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2003
1,286 Posts
Boy I am just not having any luck here getting some bites on this. I have dug through the many threads about the Powerhouse various times and found nothing that helps my situation. I have sent out a few e-mails and PM's without any responses.

Maybe I'm trying to get everybody while they are on vacation or something? I don't know??

Thanks anyway;

Greg
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:56 PM
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2003
1,286 Posts
Thank you one and all.
Closed Thread