HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:42 AM
United States, TN, Arlington
Joined Jan 2005
53 Posts
My Ultra arrived yesterday. My wife has confiscated the box and told me I can open it on Christmas morning. Bah Humbug!!!
gbman is offline Find More Posts by gbman
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:21 PM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,455 Posts
I hate packagus interuptis!
Petefoss is online now Find More Posts by Petefoss
Old Dec 23, 2012, 02:47 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,680 Posts
For anyone using a 2810-9 motor and Maytech 40 amp ESC in their Polaris Ultra, you can realize a 5% increase in power by changing the timing from Auto to high.

Going from an APC 8 x 6 to a Master Airscrew 3 blade 8 x 6 picks up another 5%. We'll be stocking the 3 blade soon.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
Model Aero is offline Find More Posts by Model Aero
Old Dec 23, 2012, 02:54 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,781 Posts
Three bladers always look cool on these amphibs IMO
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:49 PM
Registered Offender
United States, FL, Gulf Breeze
Joined Apr 2008
2,865 Posts
My Ultra arrived today (Sunday) via USPS
It was in perfect shape in spite of the Post Office's best efforts to scuff it up!
Nice job Scott, looking forward to it!
gatorb8 is online now Find More Posts by gatorb8
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My First FPV experience
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:13 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorb8 View Post
My Ultra arrived today (Sunday) via USPS
It was in perfect shape in spite of the Post Office's best efforts to scuff it up!
Nice job Scott, looking forward to it!
How the heck did it get delivered on a Sunday

I'm sure glad they paid attention to the fragile notation. At least that part of the box didn't get a hole punched in it!

Happy to hear the plane survived A-OK!

Scott
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:18 PM
Springfield, VA
Joined Feb 2000
1,210 Posts
During the Christmas season, the week before, USPS goes to a 7 day week...
pmisuinas is offline Find More Posts by pmisuinas
Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:23 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,680 Posts
Good news! Santa brought us a shipment of goodies this morning so all orders that were waiting on electronics have shipped.

Thanks for your patience and Merry Christmas!!!

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
Old Dec 24, 2012, 04:57 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Jan 2002
432 Posts
Santa came through!

My Ultra was delivered today and in excellent shape!

Merry Christmas to all here on the group and a Happy & Healthy New Year!
Caddguy6 is online now Find More Posts by Caddguy6
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:13 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,960 Posts
Mine is glued together and the motor and servo installation is starting. No hitches in the basic assembly work.

Some hints:
1. There are three different lengths of screw for the control horns: long for rudder, medium for elevator and slightly shorter for aileron. The back plate goes on with the bumps into the foam. Don't tighten too much or you'll squash the foam.

2. The spar joiners are shorter than the available space inside the spars. I wanted to make sure they were centered, so first stuck some masking tape in the middle and marked the center, then assembled everything and determined how far they should go into one wing. Then I epoxied them into that wing, making assembly a little later very easy. The wing was a perfect fit into the fuselage.

3. Follow the directions carefully regarding where and how to apply the glue. And spread it really thinly. I weighed my parts before and after assembly (including the stab) and the epoxy only added 10g to the total weight.

4. The stab required a bit of sanding and filing of the notch in the LE and the corresponding part in the fin to allow it to move far enough forward to get the fit just right. I also lightly sanded all parts of the stab that would be glued. Make sure the top part of the fin is tightly pressed down on the top of the stab and the fin is aligned at the rear.

5. Don't attach the mounting plate to the motor until you have used it to mark where the pilot holes for the screws will be. It's MUCH easier this way! (This assumes you are using the standard 2810-09 motor). By the way, I notice this version has a flush back, unlike the ones we had when the Polaris XL came out, which had a collar sticking out.

6. I weighed the two wing panels separately and they were about 10g different. This is not unusual for a foam model, but it does suggest checking the lateral balance when the model is finished and adding a few grams in one wingtip if needed.

So far, no problems.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:15 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
1,617 Posts
Eta on back ordered parts?
BrownEyedFool is offline Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
Old Dec 25, 2012, 09:11 AM
Registered Offender
United States, FL, Gulf Breeze
Joined Apr 2008
2,865 Posts
anyone know of a slightly more powerful motor that would fit and use 3S to 4S? Under 100g
Say sustained watts closer to 500. I'm guessing/looking for similar KV of 1350 to keep the prop size the same. I know, asking a lot!
I've been searching around but can't seem to find one. Motor specs are all over the map and it seems tips from experimenters work best.
Thanks
gatorb8 is online now Find More Posts by gatorb8
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My First FPV experience
Old Dec 25, 2012, 10:18 AM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool View Post
Eta on back ordered parts?
All back orders have shipped and should arrive in a few days.

Scott
Old Dec 25, 2012, 02:13 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorb8 View Post
anyone know of a slightly more powerful motor that would fit and use 3S to 4S? Under 100g
Say sustained watts closer to 500. I'm guessing/looking for similar KV of 1350 to keep the prop size the same. I know, asking a lot!
I've been searching around but can't seem to find one. Motor specs are all over the map and it seems tips from experimenters work best.
Thanks
If you want to increase the power substantially, you have to increase the prop load one way or another -- pitch, diameter, number of blades. Or you have to spin it faster. For sure this isn't going to work with 3s and 1350KV as it's only going to give you 12K or so. A 4s setup should give closer to 16K.

The other thing to consider is that going beyond about 350-400w may need heavier motor wiring than is installed in there now as at 500w you will be pulling around 35A. Changing the wiring could get difficult.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14342
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:59 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
Some hints:
6. I weighed the two wing panels separately and they were about 10g different. This is not unusual for a foam model, but it does suggest checking the lateral balance when the model is finished and adding a few grams in one wingtip if needed.
Weighed my wing panels this morning and found the right panel 15 grams heavier than the left. Not too bad I guess. Thanks for the tip, I will be doing a lateral balance after I finish the build.

While I was weighing the panels, I did find that the aileron on the left wing panel had begun to seperate from the wing along the hinge line starting at the wing root in the area of the control horn. This could have cause some control issues but I found a quick fix. I used some Shoe Goo to reattach the seperated section. I put a small amount in the gap, pushed the aileron back toward the wing, wiped off the excess Shoe Goo and let it set up overnight. This morning it was gooder than new!

Now back to work on the build.

McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28