Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:23 PM
Just Me
United States, OR, Salem
Joined Apr 2006
874 Posts
Question
New Battery for Optic 6

Hi guys/gals,

Need to replace the original Nicad pack in my older Optic 6 transmitter (FM). Am looking at the following:

9.6v NiMH 8 cell AA Block Pack (ELITE 2000mah AA)

Question is, will the charger that came with the Optic 6 charge this pack or do I have to look at a different charger or some modifications?

Also any comments on the above pack will be appreciated....

Don
Brner is offline Find More Posts by Brner
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:37 AM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brner View Post
Hi guys/gals,
Need to replace the original Nicad pack in my older Optic 6 transmitter (FM). Am looking at the following:
9.6v NiMH 8 cell AA Block Pack (ELITE 2000mah AA)
Question is, will the charger that came with the Optic 6 charge this pack or do I have to look at a different charger or some modifications?
Also any comments on the above pack will be appreciated....
Don
The charger supplied will work but a full charge of a 2000 mAh battery @80 mAh will take in excess of
30 hours and may in fact never reach optimum charge.
Best to obtain another charger which is or can be set to charge at 200mAh (1/10 of battery rating)
Recent answer to similar thread on another forum:
. Charging New NiMh 2000 Mah
"Basic wall chargers do not stop charging, simply slow down as resistance builds up.
Time depends upon the rating of your charger, which to charge that battery correctly,
the Rx charge output should be rated at not less than 200mAh.
Rx charge ouput rated below 100 mAh will take 24+ hours and may not peak a 2000 mAh battery.
<snip> "

ELITE 2000mah AA battery pack not known here but should be OK and definitely preferable to using a Lipo etc.
Following older posts might also assist:
. Hitec Aurora, Eclipse, Flash, Optic & Prism series TX - Lipo and Field / Fast Charging.
. Batteries_Lithium Polymer - Do Not Use 3S Lipo in Transmitters

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:30 PM
Just Me
United States, OR, Salem
Joined Apr 2006
874 Posts
A T...

Thanks for the response. I just happen to have a Hangar 9 Double Vision sitting on the shelf that I've never used. Claims an 800mA charge rate. When I switched to lipo flight packs I got an Acucel 6 and never opened the box on the Double Vision. The Double Vision is a field charger but I do have a power supply so I can use it at home or at the field.

The Double Vision has a transmitter plug that fits the Optic 6. I've read where, in some cases, the battery must be removed for charging but I'm guessing this only applies to Lipo's. Don't want to plug this thing directly to the transmitter if there's a problem with that.

Thanks again for the quick response...

Don
Brner is offline Find More Posts by Brner
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:43 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Hitec Transmitter Rapid/Fast Charging Rate via Socket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brner View Post
A T...
Thanks for the response. I just happen to have a Hangar 9 Double Vision sitting on the shelf that I've never used.
Claims an 800mA charge rate. When I switched to lipo flight packs I got an Acucel 6 and never opened the box on
the Double Vision.
The Double Vision is a field charger but I do have a power supply so I can use it at home or at the field.
The Double Vision has a transmitter plug that fits the Optic 6.
I've read where, in some cases, the battery must be removed for charging but I'm guessing this only applies to Lipo's.
Don't want to plug this thing directly to the transmitter
if there's a problem with that.
Thanks again for the quick response...Don
Majority of Peak detect chargers either do not operate or cut off incorrectly due to protection
within the charging circuit. However, the Double Vision Fast Field Charger notes that a diode within circuit does not matter.
I have no way to test a unit here, but as highlighted in the link provided in post #2 regarding Field /Fast charging .
. Hitec Aurora, Eclipse, Flash, Optic, Prism series - Field and Fast Charging
"NB: Circuit on board will prevent peak detection from most other chargers and as per manual,
to avoid possible damage to a very nice transmitter, remove battery and charge externally - refer:

Regret not mentioning in post #2, that the maximum charge rate, due to overall circuitry,
through any Hitec transmitter is 0.9A. 0.8A is so close to that limit.
. Hitec Aurora & Optic Transmitter Rapid/Fast Charging.

. Diode Protection can be Bypassed but at users own risk.
Still recommend removing battery if charge set over .5A.
(It is in a plastic case, without cooling vents, and batteries do get quite warm at charge rates above C20.)

Much more information available under sub sections
"Battery Care, Performance & DIY Battery Packs."
and below
"Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ" at
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Alan T.
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Last edited by A.T.; Mar 11, 2013 at 04:46 PM. Reason: add jpg