HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:03 PM
New Zealand, Manawatu-Wanganui, Palmerston North
Joined Aug 2012
19 Posts
Hi Colin and Bill
Great video! Thanks for sending it. I hope to get a video very soon of my gyro in action. I went out last night for a fly, as we had a light but dropping South Westerly at the field. Once I got to the field it had veered a little to the South which made it frustratingly difficult as it was a cross wind between our main and vector runways. However I was able to taxi to a small lift off and short flight. Why such a short flight you might ask? Well stupid me decided to hold the gyro into the wind to check the head speed and feel. I did this without having it turned on and with no servo authority it managed to allow the main blades to strike the rudders and damage them. An action that we have all been warned about but I did it anyway. So the taxiing was done with no rudders. I was just keen to see if the blade loading was going to allow lift off and it did.
Thanks for the info Bill. I have now done the calculations and discovered the blade loading is right on the heavy edge of your guidelines. My gryo weighs in at 1.3 kg with a blade radius of 600mm. This calculates out to be in old world numbers at 3.77oz/sq-ft. Just on the heavy end for a three blade head. This is a little disappointing as it means it will only ever be a slugger, not the nimble craft capable of autos that I would like to have. Oh well that's what you get with experimental projects. I do have a little fat to trim if I can be bothered.
Thanks everybody for all your help and interest. I will be posting video in a little while. I once again I'm having my flying interrupted by overseas travel for the next couple of weeks. Its not all bad as I'm going fishing amongst the Pacific Islands for trophy bone-fish and GT's
Happy flying all and hope to hear from you soon Bill.
Kind regards
Flash
Flash Wallace is offline Find More Posts by Flash Wallace
to remove ads between posts