HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 25, 2014, 04:16 PM
Greece, Central Macedonia, Thessalonika
Joined Mar 2006
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjester2811 View Post
Hey Tmark,
My comment on an X3 was kind of a joke. The updates to the old airframe are nice but it is still an X2.
Jody
It's OK !!!

Does anybody has the new electric fuse already set up ?
I'm interested to see how people has done, and a question
Servos in front and aft of motor and ESC or at the back of motor, ESC and battery ?

For the time being I started building the wings since I'm done with the wire harness

Tmark65 is offline Find More Posts by Tmark65
Last edited by Tmark65; Jul 29, 2014 at 02:15 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2014, 05:34 PM
Joined Jan 2008
69 Posts
Setup

I have the e fuse for the X2. My setup from front to back is Neu 1107 1.5 motor with Esc behind on side with 3 cell 1300 ma lipo on opposite side with Cam and receiver back behind under wing saddle. Mount servos as far back as you can get them in fuse under servo cutout. Good luck
beach1 is offline Find More Posts by beach1
Old Jul 26, 2014, 01:38 AM
Marco Generali - italsoaring
Cremona, Italy
Joined Nov 2010
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Jones View Post
The new tail has a huge elevator surface. At the root the elevator measures 60mm and the fixed portion of the stab 70mm.
It has almost the same area as the classic 3.8m xplorer elevator
snoze88 is offline Find More Posts by snoze88
Old Jul 26, 2014, 04:28 AM
Joined Jul 2012
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoze88 View Post
Yes Marco I have compared it as well. Fin/rudder area also very similar to previous models although rudder area bigger than X1.

I like it. It's clever.

Pink foam cores with spread tow skins I think. Stab weighs 46g
Neil Jones is offline Find More Posts by Neil Jones
Old Jul 26, 2014, 04:40 AM
Joined Oct 2006
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmark65 View Post
It's OK !!!

Does anybody has the new electric fuse already set up ?

For the time being I started building the wings sins I'm done with the wire harness

In my second build I wanted room for plenty of ballast, so no receiver under the wings as I did in my first build. Difficult acces to only 1 ballast pipe lying on the bottom of the fuse.
I managed it by making a new servoplate for rudder and elevator servo and lying the elevator servo Futaba 3150 flat with a mounting from servo-rahmen.de.
Small rudder futaba 3156 cross mounted in front of the elevator servo. Receiver is now under the elevator servo. Leaving enough empty space for 2 ballast pipes ( # 1 kg) and easy changes.

PeggyPeper 2221/8; Castle light 75A as close as posible behind the engine mounted with velcro to the side of the fuse, a SLS 1000 45/90 sideways as close as posible behind the PP. The space you need for easy change of the battery gives you the position of the servoplate.

Flying CG now at 115, stillair 118 mm, changing it by moving the battery ( velcro at battom of fuse). No nose weight needed.
I use foam stabs and a 80gr engine in my first Xplorer. Weight saving 40 gr.

Hope I made it clear. Succes, it is easy

Jan
dutchsoarer is offline Find More Posts by dutchsoarer
Old Jul 26, 2014, 03:48 PM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoze88 View Post
Increase is stability is surprising. Really big change -> totally different trim.
Tuomo is online now Find More Posts by Tuomo
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:52 AM
Joined Mar 2006
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchsoarer View Post
In my second build I wanted room for plenty of ballast, so no receiver under the wings as I did in my first build. Difficult acces to only 1 ballast pipe lying on the bottom of the fuse.
I managed it by making a new servoplate for rudder and elevator servo and lying the elevator servo Futaba 3150 flat with a mounting from servo-rahmen.de.
Small rudder futaba 3156 cross mounted in front of the elevator servo. Receiver is now under the elevator servo. Leaving enough empty space for 2 ballast pipes ( # 1 kg) and easy changes.

PeggyPeper 2221/8; Castle light 75A as close as posible behind the engine mounted with velcro to the side of the fuse, a SLS 1000 45/90 sideways as close as posible behind the PP. The space you need for easy change of the battery gives you the position of the servoplate.

Flying CG now at 115, stillair 118 mm, changing it by moving the battery ( velcro at battom of fuse). No nose weight needed.
I use foam stabs and a 80gr engine in my first Xplorer. Weight saving 40 gr.

Hope I made it clear. Succes, it is easy

Jan
Jan thank you very much !!!

My thinking is to go with your setup.

I have the new fuse, 160 grms aqll carbon Vtail.
I'm not intending to use ballast tube.

My servos are MKS, for Vtail and AIL 6100's, 6125minis for flaps.
I'm flying with Vtails .,, and a little heavier batteries. I am using the TP1300-3SPF70 that are long .... but light with some extra mAh for my long flights. ESC is a Koby 55LV and a Peggy Pepper 2221/8, prop 14x10. My receiver is a Multiplex RX-7 Compact and my plan is to be installed along with the ALTimeter in between wing and servos on a velcro stick.
I am wondering with your layout if I can have the CG to 120 without extra weight.

I wish I could see a photo of yours

Best Regards
Tasos
Last edited by Tmark65; Jul 29, 2014 at 01:00 AM.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 02:34 PM
Joined Oct 2006
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmark65 View Post
I have the new fuse, 160 grms aqll carbon Vtail.
I'm not intending to use ballast tube.

Peggy Pepper 2221/8, prop 14x10.

I am wondering with your layout if I can have the CG to 120 without extra weight.

I wish I could see a photo of yours

Best Regards
Tasos
Hello Tasos,

I am flying + tail, so no comparison for me and I was very keen to use ballast. I live in a windy country.
When your intention is not to use ballast, why make it yourself difficult? Then you have plenty of space to play with the lay-out and reach sp 120mm .
With my lay-out you will probably be a little nose-heave because of the V-tail. So leave enough space to the servoplate to play with the battery.
Maybe for your comparison, the foam stabs weights 41 gr including pins.

Because of the max "weight" I am driving the peggy with RF 16 * 8.5 small. Starting when empty with no more than 50% of available motorpower.

Or didn't I get your question right

Jan
dutchsoarer is offline Find More Posts by dutchsoarer
Old Jul 30, 2014, 04:50 PM
Joined Mar 2006
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchsoarer View Post
Hello Tasos,

I am flying + tail, so no comparison for me and I was very keen to use ballast. I live in a windy country.
When your intention is not to use ballast, why make it yourself difficult? Then you have plenty of space to play with the lay-out and reach sp 120mm .
With my lay-out you will probably be a little nose-heave because of the V-tail. So leave enough space to the servoplate to play with the battery.
Maybe for your comparison, the foam stabs weights 41 gr including pins.

Because of the max "weight" I am driving the peggy with RF 16 * 8.5 small. Starting when empty with no more than 50% of available motorpower.

Or didn't I get your question right

Jan
Jan,

Everything is clear enough now ... !!!

I got the idea and I'm ready to go for the fuse setup !!!

Thank you Jan !
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:47 AM
dare to thermal
Mannheim, Germany
Joined May 2004
659 Posts
4mX2 : ballast or not to ballast, thatīs the question?

When do you start to ballast your 4m Xplorer MkII? Depending of windspeed or other criteria?
Today we had appr. 8-12m/s wind. How much ballast would you use?

Bernd
Bernd Brunner is offline Find More Posts by Bernd Brunner
Old Aug 19, 2014, 01:30 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
3,092 Posts
Thats harder to answer -

Wind is only one factor - lift is the main factor for me examples:

12 MPH in no lift --- lowest ballast I can get and still move forward avoid sailplane reverse transmission.... The X2 is pretty good in wind. In low lift you dont want to crush your mind sink performance...

12MPH in high lift - big cycles (big lift big sink) - more ballast because you have to keep more energy in the model to survive the sink invariably hitting you on the way home...

Its all about the lift for me.

Also the starting weight of your model is a factor - If you have a 72 oz X2 4.0 you are fine without ballast to 12 MPH in most situations. If you started at sub 60 - well thats different right t?
webbsolution is offline Find More Posts by webbsolution
Old Aug 19, 2014, 07:01 PM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,206 Posts
That's 17 to 26 MPH... a good blow indeed. I'd load it ALL up in those conditions.
Hostage-46 is offline Find More Posts by Hostage-46
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:18 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Aug 2006
463 Posts
25 mph on an X2 will need 24 to 30 oz. Mine start at 71 oz. empty. INMO.

Stefano
stefanoc2 is offline Find More Posts by stefanoc2
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:23 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
3,092 Posts
28 MPH = 12.5 m/s ??

Yea I was at 99 oz in SA - thats pretty close - I misread the original post thining 12 mph - not meters -
webbsolution is offline Find More Posts by webbsolution
Old Aug 24, 2014, 09:30 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,845 Posts
Well, today I flew my 4M X2 and I'm getting better with it. That being said, today was almost an idiot-proof day. (No Dan... not Marine-proof, either...) The lapse rate was a little long so the thermals were spaced out a bit, but I had some climbs that were pretty amazing. Still like my 3.7M X1 a bit better. I might need to work a touch more on my setup... but all in all... I'm gettin' there.
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman