Old Dec 17, 2014, 06:16 PM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lee View Post
Nice shot of the Tuki Tuki river.
Yes it's a shame that they quit making the large I Con, I was hoping they would come out with a revised version, but so far that hasn't happened. I bought two of the large A5 I Con's, as they were having a close out sale and I figured I'd better get another one before they were all gone. So, I have one that I fly over at our lake cabin and the other one I fly off of land. I don't know if you've seen the aerial video that I made of the A5 flying off of the lake, but here it is.

I'm also in the process of converting my Taylorcraft 450 to floats.

J

http://youtu.be/_SC6KHj_A7M
Great viddy and glad to see greasing a landing is a challenge for you too!

All the best!

http://youtu.be/tFhQjoxdUJU?t=1m2s
rikybob is offline Find More Posts by rikybob
Last edited by rikybob; Dec 17, 2014 at 06:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2014, 06:47 PM
scratch-built
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Apr 2007
1,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikybob View Post
Great viddy and glad to see greasing a landing is a challenge for you too!

All the best!

http://youtu.be/tFhQjoxdUJU?t=1m2s
Thanks rikybob,

I've probably done fifty landings and touch and go's with this A5 and about 80% of them are bounced landings, I know how to land it, and I bring it in with throttle on, but somewhere along the glide path I have a brain fart and let it land too soon. Of all of my float planes, this A5 is the hardest to land properly. Oh well, I don't want to get too proficient, or I'll probably break my arm trying to pat myself on the back.

Now my DHC 2 Beaver is a different story all together, you really have to be trying, to mess up a landing with it. It's so easy to land, you can almost close your eyes and land it.

J
Jim Lee is offline Find More Posts by Jim Lee
Old Dec 17, 2014, 07:01 PM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,216 Posts
Quote:
Thanks rikybob,

I've probably done fifty landings and touch and go's with this A5 and about 80% of them are bounced landings, I know how to land it, and I bring it in with throttle on, but somewhere along the glide path I have a brain fart and let it land too soon. Of all of my float planes, this A5 is the hardest to land properly. Oh well, I don't want to get too proficient, or I'll probably break my arm trying to pat myself on the back.

Now my DHC 2 Beaver is a different story all together, you really have to be trying, to mess up a landing with it. It's so easy to land, you can almost close your eyes and land it.

J
Yah, it's kind o funny. I can grease a landing right to left but left to right....grrrr!

Going to look up the Beaver.....I fly on a lake in my neighborhood and it's convienient rather than going to the club.....going to start collecting a cache of water planes......hmmmmm a "Skipper" is cool but smaller.....

b

EDIT: Is it the Skyzone Beaver??
Old Dec 17, 2014, 08:45 PM
scratch-built
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Apr 2007
1,015 Posts
Quote:
Yah, it's kind o funny. I can grease a landing right to left but left to right....grrrr!

Going to look up the Beaver.....I fly on a lake in my neighborhood and it's convienient rather than going to the club.....going to start collecting a cache of water planes......hmmmmm a "Skipper" is cool but smaller.....

b

rikybob,

It's the flyzone Beaver.

http://www.motionrc.com/flyzone-dhc-...-wingspan-txr/

J
Jim Lee is offline Find More Posts by Jim Lee
Old Dec 18, 2014, 02:38 AM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
3,787 Posts
FlyZone, SkyZone, MyZone, it's all the same isn't it? LOL JK

I am putting together a FlyZone DHC2 this winter to maiden next summer. I really like the looks of this plane. I put the AR600 Rx in it. I can't wait to fly it.

bd
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude
Old Dec 18, 2014, 07:35 AM
United States, MA, Worcester
Joined Feb 2013
827 Posts
Quote:
I've found that the secret to landing the Icon A5 without a bounce is the exact same secret that makes landing a tail-dragger in a scale 3-point landing possible. Your landing speed must be slow enough for the plane to settle to the water (or land) in the slightly nose-high attitude it needs to grease the landing. The rear edge of the stepped part of the hull needs to touch down first - not the part forward of the wing's center-line. This requires holding a fixed attitude, slightly nose-high, until the plane settles through ground-effect and contacts the water (or ground for a tail-dragger).

There's often a tendency to land at much higher speeds than is really necessary. It probably stems from two factors: 1) You have no stall-warning indicator or angle-of-attack dial to observe as you would in a real plane. 2) You haven't practiced enough slow flight at high angles of attack to become familiar with the slow-flight aircraft attitude and its flying qualities at high AOA conditions.

The A5 has a spin-resistant wing with both washout and a cuff that separates the turbulent main-wing's airflow from the aileron-equipped outer wing panels. This gives you a progressive stall which is easy enough to detect by the increased elevator inputs required to maintain altitude and the proper nose-level or slightly nose-high attitude. If you balance your plane with the COG where it's supposed to be, the plane runs out of elevator authority well before it can enter a full-on stall/spin condition and simply lowers its nose and regains flying speed.

We should all practice some slow flight (in calm conditions) to slow our landing speeds and make greasing those water landings more attainable. Practice makes perfect, after all.
ST_Bob is offline Find More Posts by ST_Bob
Old Dec 18, 2014, 07:47 AM
United States, MA, Worcester
Joined Feb 2013
827 Posts
Oh- and don't forget that with any slow-speed flight there's a danger. Gusts or wind direction changes as ground obstacles like trees or buildings slow or redirect the wind over your landing field can suddenly put your plane into a stall or spin as the airflow decreases rapidly before the stall-resistant wing design can compensate by lowering the nose. On-board flight stabilizers can hide the obvious flight-attitude changes from the pilot until it's too late to detect the sudden stall and then you lose the plane to a sudden stall, adverse yaw and spin.

Be careful when practicing slow flight - maybe use one of your less valuable (and irreplaceable) trainer aircraft till you get good at slow flight... I did a LOT of slow flight pratice with a Durafly electric Das Ugly Stick and it really helped with my water landings on the A5. However; it didn't help save the Ugly Stick from a crash during a slow landing-approach... I recovered and then lost it in the sun. By the time I regained my view the 'Stick was headed toward the ground at near full-throttle and I spent quite a while picking up shattered pieces of faux engine and crushed fuselage pieces... Don't want to let the same thing happen to the A5; do we... So allow the plane to settle in a SLIGHTLY nose-high attitude with power off or slightly on rather than trying to hang it on the prop and drag the tail in over the landing area.

But maybe that's just me... I'm a risk-taker I guess. But we learn from our mistakes. I've got the busted A5 parts from several other learning experiences to prove it.
ST_Bob is offline Find More Posts by ST_Bob
Old Dec 18, 2014, 01:39 PM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST_Bob View Post
I've found that the secret to landing the Icon A5 without a bounce is the exact same secret that makes landing a tail-dragger in a scale 3-point landing possible. Your landing speed must be slow enough for the plane to settle to the water (or land) in the slightly nose-high attitude it needs to grease the landing. The rear edge of the stepped part of the hull needs to touch down first - not the part forward of the wing's center-line. This requires holding a fixed attitude, slightly nose-high, until the plane settles through ground-effect and contacts the water (or ground for a tail-dragger).

There's often a tendency to land at much higher speeds than is really necessary. It probably stems from two factors: 1) You have no stall-warning indicator or angle-of-attack dial to observe as you would in a real plane. 2) You haven't practiced enough slow flight at high angles of attack to become familiar with the slow-flight aircraft attitude and its flying qualities at high AOA conditions.

The A5 has a spin-resistant wing with both washout and a cuff that separates the turbulent main-wing's airflow from the aileron-equipped outer wing panels. This gives you a progressive stall which is easy enough to detect by the increased elevator inputs required to maintain altitude and the proper nose-level or slightly nose-high attitude. If you balance your plane with the COG where it's supposed to be, the plane runs out of elevator authority well before it can enter a full-on stall/spin condition and simply lowers its nose and regains flying speed.

We should all practice some slow flight (in calm conditions) to slow our landing speeds and make greasing those water landings more attainable. Practice makes perfect, after all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST_Bob View Post
Oh- and don't forget that with any slow-speed flight there's a danger. Gusts or wind direction changes as ground obstacles like trees or buildings slow or redirect the wind over your landing field can suddenly put your plane into a stall or spin as the airflow decreases rapidly before the stall-resistant wing design can compensate by lowering the nose. On-board flight stabilizers can hide the obvious flight-attitude changes from the pilot until it's too late to detect the sudden stall and then you lose the plane to a sudden stall, adverse yaw and spin.

Be careful when practicing slow flight - maybe use one of your less valuable (and irreplaceable) trainer aircraft till you get good at slow flight... I did a LOT of slow flight pratice with a Durafly electric Das Ugly Stick and it really helped with my water landings on the A5. However; it didn't help save the Ugly Stick from a crash during a slow landing-approach... I recovered and then lost it in the sun. By the time I regained my view the 'Stick was headed toward the ground at near full-throttle and I spent quite a while picking up shattered pieces of faux engine and crushed fuselage pieces... Don't want to let the same thing happen to the A5; do we... So allow the plane to settle in a SLIGHTLY nose-high attitude with power off or slightly on rather than trying to hang it on the prop and drag the tail in over the landing area.

But maybe that's just me... I'm a risk-taker I guess. But we learn from our mistakes. I've got the busted A5 parts from several other learning experiences to prove it.

Good advice Bob!

I just spend an INORDINATE amount of time landing or doing touch and goes on one or two of my four packs-o-flyin'!

I've gotten better and you are right. I flare up the ole A-5 just above the deck when I notice that there really isn't any more authority as I rotate and the long boom comes in contact 1st! <sniff> it's a (rare) thing to behold!

Here's a little A-5 "pron" from the other day here in Florida!

b
Old Dec 18, 2014, 03:14 PM
above us only sky
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Jan 2006
851 Posts
You guys are video crazy. Keep it up! LOL.

Here's a short viddy using a go pro from the dock last week. Calm but a bit drizzly. I edited out the segments where it went too far to see.

If you look closely, you can see all the lighting. Headlights, nav lights and now the tail beacon flashing on top of the elevator. Extends flight time well into twilight.

I think the UMX Icon has helped with my landings on the bigger one. It seems to have a wider window of opportunity for landing.

Loving the Icon.

Cheers!
Renfield is offline Find More Posts by Renfield
Old Today, 11:40 AM
Gone Flying
United States, IN, Covington
Joined Dec 2012
806 Posts
Quote:

b

I have the Icon and Flyzone Beaver. They are great planes. The beaver is a great flier. Flying off of snow with skis is a blast as well! I haven't flown the Icon off of snow as our snow tends to be too wet for the large fuselage to break free. Noses in.
TechJunkieRC is online now Find More Posts by TechJunkieRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Beaver Skis