HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 20, 2011, 07:03 PM
if you see a weed, pick it
Devon England
Joined Oct 2006
355 Posts
Build Log
79" Fi-156 Storch 1st scale (ish) build

Ok ive made a start on my first big foam build, its also my first scale project,
I wanted a very slow flying plane , my inspiration being Gerhard Hanssmann Lyrical Citabira
Bellanca Citabria (7 min 38 sec)

I chose the storch because its {if you ignore all the glass and struts and slots etc,} a simple shape (comaperd to a lysander at least) its a proven good flyer, and thers lots of posible colour schemes

the reason for the scale is that i wanted to use one of Dr Drella's aerofoils as ive built a supergee and love the way it flys, and the bigest one i could find was the AG40 for the supra glider the root chord is 11" which works out at 79" span .
I dont know if the aerofoil is a good idea but i know its deisgned to be used with flaps and can fly realy slow , but also has low drag which im hopeing will improve the handeling when its windy,

I geuss il find out.

progress so far is ive made a start on the plan im enlarging it from a little 3veiw, like i say its scale'ish. Its already looking mighty big too!
Construction fuse will be largly 3mm depron coverd in brown paper with wood and carbon cabin structure, (unless i chikken out and just make the cabin in foam too.) and the wing will proberly be hotwired pink foam (no point going for a fancy aerofoil and then not makeing it acurate) again coverd in brown paper,

ive got a week off work so im hopeng to make some good progress over the next few days.
malakiblunt is offline Find More Posts by malakiblunt
Last edited by malakiblunt; Jun 21, 2011 at 04:46 AM. Reason: changed it to a build log
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:18 PM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,543 Posts
I love the Storch. Watching with interest!
kdahlhaus is online now Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:25 PM
Jacintoville,Toledo, Belize
Joined Sep 2009
261 Posts
I in and lookin I really do like the Storch. fun

Tim
timtanner3 is offline Find More Posts by timtanner3
Old Jun 21, 2011, 05:00 AM
Devon England
Joined Oct 2006
355 Posts
Thanks Guys
Ive been thinking about it and ive decided to go with an all foam cabin, rather than 'glass' as this is my first big and scale build. It will save a huge amount of time and headaches me thinks.
What iam defintly going to do though is a working undercarige, as its realy important to the look, that it hangs down whilst flying but squashes up when its on the ground

this is the Morane Saulnier version with the radial engine but it shows the UC well
http://www.aviationmuseum.eu/World/E...h-D-EGTY-2.jpg

heres a nice shoot with the wings folded back,showing how much the UC compresses (though i suspect the older the plane gets the lower it sits!)

http://www.sacarr.co.uk/warbirds/pics/storch_fi156a.jpg

Ok soon as the mourning coffee has soaked in ill start building.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 06:45 AM
Devon England
Joined Oct 2006
355 Posts
Ok as always this is taking longer than i hoped!, drawing the plan from a tiny 3 veiw has taken a while, but ive begun cutting foam, ive also made the tear dro[ shaped sections for the wing struts, these are made from port orford cedar dowl (sold to make wooden arrows) with balsa glued along the edge then planed to same, im realy pleases with this ther both stiff and strong, and it smells wonderful when you plane it!.

ive also laminated a flat strip of carbon tows on to glass for the spar caps (this is a technique i learnd from building a supergee DLG) in the background of the third picture you can see the to pieces of granite clamped to the bench, grantite works great as its flat and can take the clamping pressure (as long as your caerfull not to bridge it) and the resin deosnt stick to it.

And have made the fire wall complete with undercarige pick up points (glass fiber) and all of the bulk heads though im still working on the two big ones that the wings join too, planing on ears sticking out the side to pick up the wings with a pin to hold them in place, the front ones also take the undercarige loads so need to be strong, however its taking a long time because they also need to be realy light, as im looking for a sub 4lbs AUW hopefuly closer to 3
Old Jun 23, 2011, 04:25 PM
Joined Sep 2009
261 Posts
lookin good....where did you get the plan?
Old Jun 23, 2011, 05:19 PM
Devon England
Joined Oct 2006
355 Posts
Hi Tim
I just printed of this 3 veiw -
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-y...0/fi156_3v.jpg
took meruments of and multiplied by 12.2 to get the scale i wanted,Obviously would of been easier to get it enlarged at a print shop, but this way is cheaper and has the advantage of making me realy look , which is a big help to learn the shape, Also if you get plans enlarged you end up with very thick lines.

Anyways, its been more of the same today working on the bulkheads, but shortly ill have a kit of parts so things will hopefully speed up, what i also did was make a test section of wing built up from depron, i wanted to see if i could get an acurate aerofoil shape that way, very pleased with the results , so will do that instead of hot wireing the wing.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 09:30 PM
Things are looking up...
Orlando, Florida
Joined Nov 2004
1,434 Posts
Looking good Phillip!

Tim and I have foamie Storch's, built from that very 3 view but with 48" wingspans. Tim, have you flown yours yet???

The Storch is a good project for foam, with the slab sides. But don't give up on the framed cockpit, it's not that difficult once you get started, and is super cool when completed. And there's plenty of wing area, so don't be too concerned about getting them exact.

Looking forward to progress pix.

Rick
mechrick is offline Find More Posts by mechrick
Old Jun 24, 2011, 06:17 AM
Devon England
Joined Oct 2006
355 Posts
Hi Rick thanks very much for stoping by! yes i avidly read through your thread, Realy inspired by you paint job too, Yeah your right about the windows, every time i look at the plan and see how from underneth or above you can see right through the aircraft, i think i need to bite the bullet and use the glass!.
Rereading your build i see how youve used the 2 main bulkheads which the wings atach to to make a structural box and then the rest of the cabine is just sticks, so since ive obviosly got those 2 bulkheads too putting in the cabin shouldnt be to hard,

Youve pursauded me ill give it ago!
Old Jun 24, 2011, 12:37 PM
Joined Sep 2009
261 Posts
I will try this again.. I lost the last post.... Phillip the plan Rick and I used worked real well with the plywood bulkheads. I am going to build another soon. I live in Belize and material is very hard to get. I am going to get some Robart hinges to make the flaps more functional for slow landings. I also just bought a good scroll saw which will be a big help making those bulkheads.

And no Rick I still have not maidened my bird.. I got way too busy on a Pietenpol...and you know the rest of the story, but I have to say the Storch is still my favorite project
Old Jun 24, 2011, 03:07 PM
Things are looking up...
Orlando, Florida
Joined Nov 2004
1,434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by malakiblunt View Post
Rereading your build i see how youve used the 2 main bulkheads which the wings atach to to make a structural box and then the rest of the cabine is just sticks, so since ive obviosly got those 2 bulkheads too putting in the cabin shouldnt be to hard,

Youve pursauded me ill give it ago!
Great - you won't regret it!

The bulkheads you have look great, so just use those as patterns for cutting some ply bulkheads. You can make the wing attachments later if you like, you might have noted I cut off my original pattern hinges when the fuselage was complete, and made new ones. The wing attachments are under compression (loaded toward the fuselage and up), so they are plenty strong.

Yep Tim I see you have been busy building. I have been doing ust a bit, mostly trying to fly all the planes I have hanging up, as I tend to neglect them after they get built and flown.

Rick
Old Jun 24, 2011, 07:23 PM
Devon England
Joined Oct 2006
355 Posts
Cheers Rick and Tim

Im like you Rick spend alot more time building, though i might spend more time flying if i could stop crashing so much.

Ive completly remade the bulk heads today, the tie beams are balsa ply i laminated my self, with glass and balsa doublers and ive glued in aluminum tubes for the wing pins, Im realy aiming for a super light weight build here my target is under 4lbs, Hopefully once its all been well triangulated and with the wing struts , it should hold together!
Old Jun 24, 2011, 10:45 PM
Things are looking up...
Orlando, Florida
Joined Nov 2004
1,434 Posts
Great idea on the landing gear hinges! The wing pivots look plenty strong too, I like the inserts. That's all the structure right there, except for the struts, so the rest is easy!

Rick
Old Jun 25, 2011, 05:44 AM
Joined Sep 2009
261 Posts
lookin real good. You got the main structure now all the rest is just another foamie.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 07:47 PM
Devon England
Joined Oct 2006
355 Posts
Ok, had a break from building for a few days , after my much loved cat died sudenly

However back on it today and have nearly finished the cabin area, this is pretty much all balasa for obvious reasons, but is also by far the most complex part of the build so hopefully things will speed up soon.
weight so far is 2.3oz which is on target i think for my sub 4lb AUW (im realy hpeing for closer to 3) this section is 15" long

Ive been giving the power system some thorught, ive got an old 6-1 gear box which oringinaly had a hot 540 buggy motor in, ive been modifing it for a 3200kv 450heli outrunner, i think this should swing a decent size prop all though scale would be 15" !