Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Jul 07, 2016, 08:12 PM
Find More Posts by AlmondBark
United States, IL, Urbana
Joined Sep 2013
143 Posts
Build Log
1200 mm Span Sailplane/Glider (Now a Slipso 400 inspired pylon racer)

Hey everybody, I'm just starting a new build with some wings I got from my uncle. He has too many projects going so he gave me some of his wings that never got a fuselage.

I looked at these wings and saw a powered glider or sailplane. But then I started coming across hotliners like the Slipso 400... They are sexy However, my feeling is these wings won't be stiff enough to stand up to forces that hotliners take.

They are an EPS core sheeted with another type of 1 or 2mm foam and what looks like very thin laminating film. One half is 24" long and they have two carbon spars. Very thin airfoil as well with a 5.25" chord tapering to 3.5" at the end.

I think I will kind of wing it (haha ) on the design but if you guys know of anything about this size let me know. By the way the 3-view picture is just a guideline for the shape I may try to go for not for dimensions.

P.S. I love T-Tails.
AlmondBark is offline Find More Posts by AlmondBark
Last edited by AlmondBark; Jul 16, 2016 at 06:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2016, 09:25 PM
Find More Posts by birdofplay
Retired CAD guy
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
10,843 Posts
Looks like a fast lil bird !
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Jul 16, 2016, 07:34 PM
Find More Posts by AlmondBark
United States, IL, Urbana
Joined Sep 2013
143 Posts
Changed my mind

I decided to go with a pylon style like the Slipso 400. I really like the look of this plane made by an RCGroups user, Piece.

I made the fuselage out of 6 mm Depron sort of reinforced with wood sticks and lasercut 3 mm plywood bulkheads. The elevator servo was kind of a pain. I got it completely installed and realized that sticking up beyond the top of the fuse. So I had to hack it out and lower the wood piece.

I am still in the process of sanding the fuselage. When I'm done I will fiberglass it and the leading edge of the wing.
AlmondBark is offline Find More Posts by AlmondBark
Last edited by AlmondBark; Jul 16, 2016 at 07:42 PM.