HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2014, 01:22 PM
Ops check good
United States, LA, Barksdale AFB
Joined Mar 2012
37 Posts
Build Log
Selextra 500 Build!

Well here goes nothing! Finally decided to build this baby! I have had this kit since last October when my wonderful wife bought it for me as a birthday gift! Btw Thank you selecthobbies (skaliwag i believe) for making the purchase a breeze. i received the kit in a triangle priority mail box with everything intact and in wonderful shape! Quality balsa, Quality plans, very pleased with the kit from first impressions! So anyways, this is going to be my first kit to build. I have done some other guillows conversions and what not but this is my first actual kit. So forgive me now for any rookie mistakes and please inform me if you see anything that need to be addressed! Now, on to the good stuff, PICTURES!!!

first few pictures here showing the start of the wing, laying r-1 & r-2 ribs in their respective positions. making sure everything is square and 90* to the bottom spar. Progressing on webbing and gluing of the top spar.
trnt_west is offline Find More Posts by trnt_west
Last edited by trnt_west; Jul 24, 2014 at 09:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2014, 02:21 PM
Ops check good
Joined Mar 2012
37 Posts
Moving along to gluing the leading edge and trailing edge stock. Here ive used a yard stick to make sure the wing stays flat against the build board. Nothing like having a few paint bottles around to use a weight! they work really well and weigh enough to be effective at holding the joints tight as the glue dries. Speaking of glue i really like this sig bond! seems to create a good strong joint and after it dries is relatively easy to sand vs CA. Is there any reason to not use this type of glue? i understand that in areas of more stress such as the firewall or landing gear mount i would need to use epoxy but other than that this sig bond should be plenty of holding right? let me know what you think. Also what do you like to use?
Old Jul 20, 2014, 06:01 PM
Ops check good
Joined Mar 2012
37 Posts
After a few hours drying time all is dried and ready to begin the bottom of the wing. To include the bottom trailing edge piece and the front spar. coming along quite nicely.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 08:51 PM
Joined Oct 2004
211 Posts
Nice build job. May want to consider putting the bits and pieces involved in the front wing holding tab and landing gear blocks (if you are doing wheels) before you lock yourself out
skaliwag is offline Find More Posts by skaliwag
Old Jul 20, 2014, 08:57 PM
Ops check good
Joined Mar 2012
37 Posts
Sheeting under the wing. Also getting the landing gear blocks installed, however i am just installing these as a back up in case my plans to use sig hummer landing gear doesnt work as well as i hope. While im on that subject id like to thank Hfenn for his build thread of this plane. It has been much easier with his clear pictures and detailed build log. He also did a mock up of he sig hummer landing gear and pointed out using a sig WWII canopy, which i will also be using.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 09:03 PM
Ops check good
Joined Mar 2012
37 Posts
Thanks skaliwag i was just posting pictures of the landing gear block installation! And i do plan on using wheels with the hummer gear. if my calculations are correct i should be able to afford the extra weight. Speaking of which i plan on using the following:
Norvel .061 r/c w/ 2 oz sullivan fuel tank
4 9gram servos- aileron, elevator, rudder, throttle
lemon-rx 6ch receiver with sat
700mah life 6.6v receiver battery
Old Jul 20, 2014, 10:45 PM
Joined Oct 2004
211 Posts
Looking forward to see how you retro the Hummer L/G package.
BTW... Appears that SIG no longer offers the Humble Hummer.
skaliwag is offline Find More Posts by skaliwag
Old Jul 22, 2014, 06:30 PM
Ops check good
Joined Mar 2012
37 Posts
Well, to answer on how i plan to mount the sig hummer landing gear, i plan on using 1/8th inch ply epoxied in front of former 2. The 1/8 ply will be 30min epoxied laying flush against the bottom fuselage sheeting. i will then use some triangle stock to further reinforce the landing gear mount to the sides of the fuselage. As far as securing the gear i will use 2-56 blind nuts and screws. To counter the forward extra weight i will mount the rudder elevator servos as far after in the mid fuselage section as possible. Hopefully this works out!

The following pictures show the installation of the wing mount and outer rib sheeting.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 06:56 PM
Ops check good
Joined Mar 2012
37 Posts
starting on the fuselage! Petty straight forward. Really enjoying the build so far. Very pleased.

The last picture shows adding the ply pieces to the f-1 and f-2 formers to further strengthen. Also getting the engine mount mocked up so i can add the blindnuts. i going with 2-56 which i feel will be lightweight yet strong enough to keep the norvel .061 snug.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 09:16 PM
Ops check good
Joined Mar 2012
37 Posts
got the fuselage all shaped up and adding the upper and lower sheeting! Again with my paint weights!
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:38 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,306 Posts
I was stationed at BAFB from 1986 to 93 nice entrance over looking the golf course...big base
Amp Abuser is online now Find More Posts by Amp Abuser
Old Jul 24, 2014, 04:08 PM
Ops check good
Joined Mar 2012
37 Posts
Barksdale has been a good base in my opinion. Ive always thought that the entrance is one of the best looking entrances. Especially how the trees drape over the rode with the golf course on both sides, then with the headquarters building center of the main courtyard. Looks real nice!
Old Jul 24, 2014, 04:13 PM
Ops check good
Joined Mar 2012
37 Posts
Well I've got the sheeting all glued up and dried. Trimmed all the excess off the sides and sanded smooth. Time to add in the Fuel tank. I'm going to use a 3 setup with the tank with a filler line running out of the bottom of the fuselage. I've briefly mocked up the engine and with the sides of the fuselage its hard to remove and reinstall the fuel line on the carb. So hopefully this will make refuel and defueling easier!
Old Jul 24, 2014, 05:38 PM
Ops check good
Joined Mar 2012
37 Posts
time to get the front fuselage block shaped!
Old Jul 24, 2014, 06:22 PM
Ops check good
Joined Mar 2012
37 Posts
Lots of dust and carvings later the front fuselage is all shaped up and glued on. also attached the wing. After making sure all was centered up i proceeded to glue on the stabilizers!