HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2012, 09:52 AM
Middletown, CT
Joined Sep 2009
106 Posts
Build Log
Unofficial Hangar 9 Katana Build Log

I have no idea the proper way to do a build log but I'm doing one for the Hangar 9 Katana 50 my wife bought me for xmas. I will probably violate some build log convention but feel free to correct me

This is the biggest plane I own. My previous build experiences are mostly Multiplex stuff like the Parkmaster and the Acromaster. My one similar build to this plane was a Precision Aerobatics Ultimate AMR which is currently my favorite airplane.

I started posting some pics in the discussion thread about this plane but decided to start a new thread for the build.

I can't promise constant updates as I tend to build in spurts so forgive me if a fews days go between updates.

Next post starts the build.
richh73 is online now Find More Posts by richh73
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2012, 09:54 AM
Middletown, CT
Joined Sep 2009
106 Posts
I'm very impressed with the quality of the components. The airframe seems very sturdy, the pieces all look well built and the covering is gorgeous. The pictures don't do the scheme justice.

I test fit the wings to the fuselage with the tube and I damn near couldn't get the wings off. The wing tube is a really really tight fit. Buddy of mine from my club recommended solid lubricant like baby powder which worked awesome.

Here are the parts I've purchased so far.

Eflite Power 52 motor
Spektrum A6060 Servos x3
Recommended spinner
Recommended prop adapter
APC 15x7 prop
GForce 3cell 40C 5000mah
GForce 2cell 40C 5000mah

I still need to buy the A5040 servos or if I can find some HS-5085MG's or equivalent, I'll do that. The A5040's seem to be out of stock until March. I also need an 80amp ESC. I will get either the Eflite or CC. I also plan on adding the Side Force Generators even though I'm not an expert 3D pilot, I think the plane looks awesome with them on and I'd love to fly the plane and see the difference with those attached. Again, not available until March.
Last edited by richh73; Jan 03, 2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old Jan 04, 2012, 08:42 AM
Middletown, CT
Joined Sep 2009
106 Posts
I got the ailerons installed onto the wings and one aileron servo installed.

I almost goofed and put the right aileron on the left wing and vice versa but I caught the mistake, so the pic shows the almost-oops

Pics below.
Old Jan 05, 2012, 06:22 AM
Middletown, CT
Joined Sep 2009
106 Posts
I did a bunch last night. Also have my first small gripe.

I started skipping a bit because I installed the aileron servos in both wings and setup the push rods for them, but I didn't have long enough servo arms. The ones that come with the A6060 servos are not long enough. So I am waiting to get those in and moved ahead where safe to do so.

I installed the motor on the motor mount. This is where my first gripe comes in. The instructions call for me to mount the motor using four M4x12 socket head screws, 4 black flat washers, and 4 lock washers. I found a bag with 4 M4x20 socket head screws, 8 black flat washers, and 4 lock washers. I also found a bag with 3 M4x12 socket head screws and 3 black flat washers. Dilemna. I read through the rest of the steps again and the only place I could find that uses M4 socket head screws are for gas engine installation. I couldn't find anything that used 3 M4x12 socket head screws so I used those 3 and then I trimmed one of the M4x20's with a dremel cutting tool. Motor installed fine.

What I missed was the landing gear uses the 3 M4x12's but the 3 remaining M4x20's fit without needing trimming so I just used those for the landing gear.

Here is my small gripe (and it is small, I'm sort of nitpicking). Each bag of parts seems to correspond to a step in the instructions and each bag is labeled "bag 1", "bag 2", etc. I think it would have been easy to put in the instructions "For this step, use bag 1, which contains the following:" rather than just "You will need the following items for this step". Or even if in the front or back of the manual it listed the parts in each bag by bag number so you could use it as a reference.

---------------------------------
EDIT: I need to eat some crow here. The very first page of the manual lists the bag numbers and the contents of each bag. I guess I skipped page one in my rush to get to the build steps. So consider my small gripe instead a personal mission to stop skipping ahead when building planes
---------------------------------

I also installed the tail wheel on the rudder and attached the rudder to the fuse. And I installed the main landing gear.
Last edited by richh73; Jan 06, 2012 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Because I can't read
Old Jan 05, 2012, 06:24 AM
Middletown, CT
Joined Sep 2009
106 Posts
Someone tell me if I'm spewing too much nonsense on this or if this is in any way useful

Again, first time doing any kind of post like this.
Old Jan 05, 2012, 10:43 AM
Pug Pilot
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2004
800 Posts
Looks good. I'm curious to hear how the new E-Flite Power 52 runs on a 15x7 compared to the Torque 4014T/570 that I use on my planes. Are you going to use both lipos to create a 5S lipo, or are you going to try a 3S lipo? I like to use 4S 3700 mah Rhino's and 15x7 APC on my Torque 4014.

Can't wait to hear the flight report.

Mox
moxjett is online now Find More Posts by moxjett
Old Jan 05, 2012, 12:50 PM
Middletown, CT
Joined Sep 2009
106 Posts
I'm running them in series for 5S 5000mah. Trying to build it as close to recommended as possible but no way I was spending $160 on a Eflite 5S 5000mah battery

..Rich
Old Jan 05, 2012, 01:45 PM
Joined Jan 2012
18 Posts
Some stuff you should know

Ok...your doing great and it looks great too. BUT! there are some things you need to know so the same thing doesnt happen to you that happend to me. First of all I want to say what a great plane. I have already built mine and maidend it. I have an OS .75ax in it, whitch is plenty of power. Ballance is perfect and flys great. The things you need to know!

- DO NOT use the plastic clasps provided for your servo rods!!! Go out and get metal clasps!!! I bought 2-56 threaded rods, and 2-56 metal clasps. Use the BLUE thread lock( not permenant) once you have set it to the propper lenth to avoid movement. I have already had 2 of the plastic clasps break on me and I had to land with no airolons! Iam lucky I had a safe landing!

-2ND- DO NOT set up the servo rods on the holes that they show you. I have posted the correct way to set them up. You must follow these rules for basic geometry. If you do not, you will strip the gears in your servos, if they are nylon, and need to get a new plane after it meets the ground.

I will post some pictures of the metal clasps, and the proper set up for safe use, and I warn you, if you do not, they WIll break resulting in your loss of a beautiful plane!
TopGanJa is offline Find More Posts by TopGanJa
Old Jan 05, 2012, 07:18 PM
Middletown, CT
Joined Sep 2009
106 Posts
Thanks TopGanJa, good info to have. I will get the metal clasps as recommended. I thought it was strange that such a large plane would come with plastic. Where did that pushrods doc come from?
Old Jan 05, 2012, 07:29 PM
Middletown, CT
Joined Sep 2009
106 Posts
Did you use the stock ball link ends on the pushrods or did you replace those with metal clevis's?
Old Jan 06, 2012, 12:31 AM
Joined Jan 2012
18 Posts
Metal clasps...

that document came from a great planes instructions, for the reactor bipe 60 witch i own...i will post many more pics..and help you with any questions i can. I own the twist 40 and 60, the sundowner, the showtime 50 and 90, the funtana and katana and the reactor bipe 60. all made by hangar 9 except the bipe.. I love every one of them. all metal clasps. On the Katana, I didnt replace the clasps with metal ones, because i didnt have them...almost a crucial error. I was so lucky to land the plan with just my rudder and elvator!. i set it up the way they showed me in the instructions and stripped both gears on both airilon servos, and broke one of the plastic clasps! I realy dont know why i did it, i guess its been a while and i was excited to build another plane, that i over looked those little details and didnt check twice. Iam just glad i can pass on the info to you and all. Ill post some pics of my hangar and if you have any questions, ill answer them to the best of my knowlage. If i dont know...ill tell you! I did not use the ball links as provided. I will post some pics of the pushrods asap so you can see what my chioce of connection is. Take it as you may. I have it set up like this for all my planes, and never had any fail....knock on wood....Do get bigger servo arms, but set it up the way the document says. Basic geometry
Last edited by TopGanJa; Jan 06, 2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2012, 01:28 AM
Joined Jan 2012
18 Posts
here are some pics of the hangar! hope you like. the next post will have the pics of the serevo connections!
Old Jan 06, 2012, 01:39 AM
Joined Jan 2012
18 Posts
servo connections

here is the way i hooked up the servos.
if you notice, the hook up is wrong....thats the way i orginaly hooked up the servo arms, the geometry i wrong. I have fixed them to the way the instructions that i have posted recomend. Just follow what the instructions say. I will repost the way they should be. the first picture is the way i hooked up all of my servo arms. insted of a z bend, i used an "e-z link" it holds the rod in place, and is almost impossible to come undone, due to the pressure being on the rod insted of the plastic holder. the second and third picture show how the book tells you to hook up your servo rods. follow the instructions i posted from the bipe. ill post the correct way in 2morrow.
Last edited by TopGanJa; Jan 06, 2012 at 02:24 AM.
Old Jan 07, 2012, 12:32 AM
Angry Flyer!
washington state
Joined Oct 2008
383 Posts
When you guys have a chance, would like to see flight vid. particularly hovering and takeoff.
jriley1974 is offline Find More Posts by jriley1974