HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 30, 2011, 01:34 AM
USA, WA
Joined Jan 2011
131 Posts
Discussion
HoverFly Pro X8 Fire Training

Gave the HoverFly a good test for heat tolerance today at the training burn with the fire department. It passed! I was worried one of the firemen was going to try and knock me out of the air with one of their water canons. Flying around turbulent air and heat was very interesting, I would not have tried this with my quad and definitely not without the HoverFly board. The camera case came down rather warm after each flight, a house fire sure puts out a lot of heat 100 feet away. I suppose I should run the temp calibration for the board next time before flying near fire so I don't crash and burn

Kittitas Valley Fire & Rescue Training Exercise Aerial Video (2 min 26 sec)
ArltTech is offline Find More Posts by ArltTech
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2011, 02:18 AM
Spain (MÓlaga)
Joined Aug 2010
293 Posts
Interesting and risky!
cafecubain is offline Find More Posts by cafecubain
Old Oct 30, 2011, 02:41 AM
USA, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2010
1,797 Posts
What kind of camera and what settings?

That was nice and stable.
Av8Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Av8Chuck
Old Oct 30, 2011, 10:13 AM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,634 Posts
Very smooth "sounding" craft you got there. No large sound variations like you sometimes hear.

I have seen the siding buckle and windows blow out on a house next to a fire like that. Unbelievable the heat generated. I have a great respect for the firemen who deal with it daily.
pug398 is offline Find More Posts by pug398
Old Oct 30, 2011, 01:09 PM
USA, WA
Joined Jan 2011
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8Chuck View Post
What kind of camera and what settings?

That was nice and stable.
This was just using a GoPro set at r5 (1080p) and hard mounted to the X8. Still waiting on gimbals.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 02:43 PM
USA, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2010
1,797 Posts
That is remarkably smooth considering its a GoPro on r5.
Av8Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Av8Chuck
Old Oct 30, 2011, 03:58 PM
United States, PA, Harrisburg
Joined Aug 2011
377 Posts
Wow, that was brave! The Gopro in 1080 does a great job. I'm hoping we can pickup the new one so we can get a smaller field of view.
JZSlenker is offline Find More Posts by JZSlenker
Old Oct 31, 2011, 01:40 AM
USA, WA
Joined Jan 2011
131 Posts
A few shots from the ground
Old Nov 02, 2011, 12:31 AM
USA, WA
Joined Jan 2011
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JZSlenker View Post
Wow, that was brave! The Gopro in 1080 does a great job. I'm hoping we can pickup the new one so we can get a smaller field of view.
What is the new one with a smaller fov? New release out?
Old Nov 02, 2011, 06:06 AM
Joined Aug 2011
377 Posts
Yeah, Gopro just released the GoPro Hero II. It is much more user friendly, has adjustable field of view on all modes and appears to have the ability to remote trigger.
Old Nov 02, 2011, 07:07 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,544 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, Gopro just released the GoPro Hero II. It is much more user friendly, has adjustable field of view on all modes and appears to have the ability to remote trigger.
Does it get rid of that fisheye distortion? The main reason that I don’t have one is the poor quality lens that causes buildings and utility poles to appear bent?

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Nov 02, 2011, 03:14 PM
United States, OK, Lawton
Joined Apr 2011
427 Posts
Quote:
I was going to order one of the new GoPro's but figured out that the new one doesn't have live video out, for FPV purposes. So I bought the old version instead along with a Sunex f2.8 lense.

Kenny
midiman007 is offline Find More Posts by midiman007
Old Nov 02, 2011, 04:41 PM
Joined Aug 2011
377 Posts
It must have live video out on the multipin because the lcd back that we already have still works with it.
Old Nov 02, 2011, 05:59 PM
United States, OK, Lawton
Joined Apr 2011
427 Posts
Quote:
It must have live video out on the multipin because the lcd back that we already have still works with it.
Looking at the specs, there is no A/V jack, like on the original. But sounds like there is something there, at least for the LCD.
midiman007 is offline Find More Posts by midiman007
Old Nov 16, 2011, 01:22 AM
USA, WA
Joined Jan 2011
131 Posts
X8 Heats Up

Thought some might find this interesting on heat tolerance of the HFP and other components when flying around really hot stuff. Found this when reviewing the last and most intense phase of the burn some time later, never noticed it before until one of the fireman brought it up. At 1:04 you can watch the coax cable sheath melt away from the cable. I was flying almost directly over that cable many times, however the wind shifted slightly toward the lines and brought a LOT of heat with it. I fortunately decided to move outta there before it was too late. At 1:34 you can see the melted coax coating strands hanging from the cable, and then the water comes to cool it off. If I didn't move I would have likely been shot down The cable company replaced the coax the next morning.

If you look at the first video in this post you can see my blue car by the stop sign, I had to move it and set up further back as it was getting really hot.

You likely will need to watch it in full screen and HD to see the cable melt

X8 UAS Fire Fighting Support (1 min 58 sec)
Last edited by ArltTech; Nov 16, 2011 at 01:45 AM. Reason: can't spehl