HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old May 22, 2012, 10:34 PM
**I'm Battman**
RCBABBEL's Avatar
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Yesterday was a perfect flying day here in MN! Mid-70s & sunny, with hardly a breath of a breeze, 0-4 MPH right down the centerline. I spent the entire day & evening at the field. I flew the crap out of the B3D, among others. Had an absolute blast! One of my flying buddies flies heavies for a living - A320s and the like. He's also an accomplished pattern & 3D pilot. He was screwing around with a Multiplex Fun Cub & handed me the tx for awhile. I flew it around for 15 minutes or so, having a blast doing touch & goes and all sorts of goofy maneuvers - with a big grin on my face the whole time. (I now understand why they named it 'Fun Cub'!)

Afterward, I asked him if he'd like to try the B3D on 3s. He has seen me fly it on many occasions in both calm and windy conditions. He responded enthusiastically. I popped in a fresh Hyp 180 3s Babbelbatt & set it for a neutral CG, handed him the tx, and briefed him on the idiosyncrasies of AS3X. I told him to wring it out if he wanted to. He took off & carved up the sky until the timer went off @ 4:50. As he put the bird through its paces, I could hear him laughing. He was grinning as he handed me the tx. after he landed The first thing he said was that it felt just like flying a large-scale plane. The second thing he said was that he's ordering one! Now there's a guy who really knows how to manage the throttle. He tore up the sky for nearly 5 minutes on 3s, doing pattern & 3D - and only used 97 mAh!

I also heard a number of comments about my 37 MPH wind demo last Saturday. I guess a number of pilots had been talking about it afterward & said they'd never seen such a thing - and that at first, was hard for them to even believe their eyes.

Hmmm....

We know that the Horizon guys follow these threads, which means that they know about our 3s experiments. They must also know that we're having excellent success (so far) with the EFLU4864 brick on 3s. Makes me wonder if they're doing a bit their own 3s testing...

Joel

Joel,

Big smile in Idah after reading that sweet story!

I forget how small the B3D really is as soon as she lifts off.
She has an amazing blend of large and small flight characteristics.
I've really been getting into some violent WOT 3S cross controlled spins lately.
The B3D airframe and servos are always up to the abusive task.

I usually take 2~3 planes to the field.
As soon as the B3D comes out, the others don't get flown again.

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2012, 10:50 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
I usually take 2~3 planes to the field.
As soon as the B3D comes out, the others don't get flown again.

rc
I do love the Beast 3D on 3S... a lot. But all I can say is that one of those planes you bring to the field must not be a 3DHS Slick 51! I really really love that plane!
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 12:40 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Grazer's Avatar
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,541 Posts
Posted this on the 02nd May:

Quote:
Hey guys.....at an indoor session and my beast has an aileron issue. Push stick left and they go down, push right they go up! Any ideas??
Although a resident in Australia, and Horizon Hobby do not have a branch here, I tried my luck by emailing the support centre in the US. I got a reply within 48 hours letting me know that although HH do not service Australia, they would post me out a servo reverser and provided instructions. I got the servo reverser today and connected it up to the offending servo. Unplugged and now my Beast is fully operational with AS3X to all servos.

Impressed with the service and level of help, even though I am a resident far from HH zone of service.

Thanks HH. Partly the reason I am surrounded by no less than 21 HH planes and Spektrum Tx & Rx gear.
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 01:08 AM
Registered User
Wellington New Zealand
Joined Feb 2010
119 Posts
Tried 3s today and the board made a couple of popping sounds and let out a fair bit of smoke.When I plugged it in again at home it all still worked!

Back down the park and a test flight and it would cutout at anything over half throttle.

Works fine on 2s.

Im not complaining cause I was happy enough on 2s,2300kv motor and 5043 prop but does anyone know what popped on the board?

As I said it popped and let out the magic smoke but then worked just fine.
milmarc is offline Find More Posts by milmarc
Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 04:48 AM
BMFA 190658
SilentPilot's Avatar
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Tony,

Please keep us posted on how your 3S flights go.

Static WOT vs in flight WOT.
OCP kicking in??

AS3X doesn't like out of balance props, especially on 3S power!

rc
3S is a blast on the Sbach, guess I just got lucky...
Uses 3S TP250s (until the arrival of your Babbelbatts) 2300/5043 and is a lunatic!! It wont glide but who cares, I'll put a 2S 180 in to thermal it

The Beast 3D on the otherhand, well that run up nicely on a storage charged TP250 but when I took it to the local field with a full pack it seemed to hit OCP above 50% throttle (motor shutdown and flashing Rx until it reset). I swapped the motor back to OE and found a bunch of bad connections between ESC & motor. I've swapped back to 2300/5043 and fixed these then run pretty much a full pack through it static testing at 100% bursts, all seems good now.

I'm off back to the field now before work to test it for real. Might even take my Keyfob Camera to see if I can get some decent video, though last time I did that I got carried away and mashed up my Extra showing off. Maybe just some gentle circuits this time until I'm used to being on film

Tony
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SilentPilot; May 23, 2012 at 04:54 AM. Reason: Sorry guys, missed an entire page!
Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 04:54 AM
BMFA 190658
SilentPilot's Avatar
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by milmarc View Post
Tried 3s today and the board made a couple of popping sounds and let out a fair bit of smoke.When I plugged it in again at home it all still worked!

Back down the park and a test flight and it would cutout at anything over half throttle.

Works fine on 2s.

Im not complaining cause I was happy enough on 2s,2300kv motor and 5043 prop but does anyone know what popped on the board?

As I said it popped and let out the magic smoke but then worked just fine.
Mine did this, look at the wires and check the connector block between the ESC & motor, mine was loose. Guess the extra power of 3S showed this up?

Not sure about your popping brick, it could be just some moisture burning off with the extra heat from the voltage upgrade. Or it might be the first sign we have of a B3D brick failing on 3S....
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LemonRx V3 stab in Parkzone Ka8
Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 07:21 AM
BMFA 190658
SilentPilot's Avatar
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,163 Posts
Just got back from some more 3S testing at the field (using the B3D).

Took 3x TP250s.
First flight was amazing, loads of thrust for verticals etc. I could feel it trying to rip out of my hands on takeoff. No issues.
Second flight; the takeoff seemed a bit down on power, just not the same level of thrust evident as before. Roughly half way through the flight (2mins ish) the motor failed. Poss OCP, I managed to glide down and restart the motor. Carried on flying for about another 2mins with no issues.
Third flight was again down on power at launch and had intermittent OCP all the way through the flight.

This makes me wonder if it is in fact Over Temperature Protection kicking in? I am running the 2300 motor direct swap from the Sbach with no spinner. The Beast spinner has somekind of disk behind it. Does this act as a fan for extra cooling?

I think all things considdered, at this point in time I will leave the Beast on 2S with the lighter wingloading and enjoy the Sbach on 3S. I've got a second Sbach airframe coming my way which I will beef up for the 3S madness

Tony
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LemonRx V3 stab in Parkzone Ka8
Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 11:55 AM
Registered User
TexasFlyer's Avatar
Houston, TX
Joined Sep 2005
1,015 Posts
Tony,

I think you are right about it being OTP rather than OCP. When mine cuts out, it is never soon after hitting full throttle which is when max current is achieved. It can cut out after a few seconds of full throttle but some times it happened a few seconds after reducing to mid or low throttle - again, not what I'd expect from OCP. Also, I'm in Houston, TX which is much warmer than ID, MN, etc where others have not had issues with heat (yet). It was in the upper 80's when I was experiencing issues.

Based on this, I'm going to look at how I can improve the cooling of the ESC.. Thanks for mentioning OTP as the potential issue.

Alan
TexasFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TexasFlyer
Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 12:01 PM
Parkzone junkie
kalmon's Avatar
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
We know that the Horizon guys follow these threads, which means that they know about our 3s experiments. They must also know that we're having excellent success (so far) with the EFLU4864 brick on 3s. Makes me wonder if they're doing a bit of their own 3s testing...

Joel
+1 I certainly hope they are!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
3S is a blast on the Sbach, guess I just got lucky...
Uses 3S TP250s (until the arrival of your Babbelbatts) 2300/5043 and is a lunatic!! It wont glide but who cares, I'll put a 2S 180 in to thermal it

The Beast 3D on the otherhand, well that run up nicely on a storage charged TP250 but when I took it to the local field with a full pack it seemed to hit OCP above 50% throttle (motor shutdown and flashing Rx until it reset). I swapped the motor back to OE and found a bunch of bad connections between ESC & motor. I've swapped back to 2300/5043 and fixed these then run pretty much a full pack through it static testing at 100% bursts, all seems good now.

I'm off back to the field now before work to test it for real. Might even take my Keyfob Camera to see if I can get some decent video, though last time I did that I got carried away and mashed up my Extra showing off. Maybe just some gentle circuits this time until I'm used to being on film

Tony
What bad connections did you find? pics? My B3D could not fly on 3S power over 60-70% throttle without shutting down, Thermal or OCP. At 3S 60% throttle I had more power with my 3000kv on 2S so I swapped the motor back out and I'm running on 2S again. If there was something I could check to make 3S work I'd do it.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 02:20 PM
BMFA 190658
SilentPilot's Avatar
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
What bad connections did you find? pics? My B3D could not fly on 3S power over 60-70% throttle without shutting down, Thermal or OCP. At 3S 60% throttle I had more power with my 3000kv on 2S so I swapped the motor back out and I'm running on 2S again. If there was something I could check to make 3S work I'd do it.

-Brian
Sorry Brian, not at home tonight, will post a pic tomorrow if you still need it.
It was the standard e-flite plug on the motor - all three wires pulled out easily. I fixed that and thought it was fixed. It is possible that I've fixed an OCP issue and now got a Thermal Shutdown issue. It sounds like extreme issues but I'm glad that the Brick puts up with it!

Should have mentioned that the temp today was 23deg C which could have contributed...
It could be a cooling issue, maybe that is why my Sbach is ok with it's two holes in the cowl and the huge undernose hole. The Beast does not seem to have any cooling vents - yet! I will add some and try again.

As said before, and I think you agree Brian, the Beast is very good on 2S. I like doing biplane type aerobatics with it, no 3D nonsense though I do cross sticks quite a bit at the top of an up line then let it tumble power off. I'm happy if it goes vertical and with the 2S 2300/5043 or 3000/5030 it will do. I don't really need the power to pull out of Hovers as I never try them.

The Sbach on the other hand excels with power, but that is for another thread

Tony
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LemonRx V3 stab in Parkzone Ka8
Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 05:42 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,660 Posts
Could flying style have something to do with the cutout issues?

I've flown mine on 3s in 85-90 degree temps a number of times this season. I have not had any cutouts, and the motor is just warm to the touch after a flight. But I also I use throttle management. I'm getting 6-7 minutes to the 80% discharge point with a 3s 180.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old May 23, 2012, 07:29 PM
Parkzone junkie
kalmon's Avatar
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Could flying style have something to do with the cutout issues?

I've flown mine on 3s in 85-90 degree temps a number of times this season. I have not had any cutouts, and the motor is just warm to the touch after a flight. But I also I use throttle management. I'm getting 6-7 minutes to the 80% discharge point with a 3s 180.

Joel
I know it wasn't flying style with mine. After the initial flights I was doing oval laps gently increasing throttle until I got a cutoff. I found that it usually happened around 70% on a fresh pack. I'm not completely convinced that is is OCP and not OTP. The motor windmills at idle and probably everything being so small I bet it cools fast while gliding down. The one cutoff I had was most certainly OTP as It was on landing I was at <10% throttle on a nice stabilized approach and it just cut two feet off the ground. I just flared and carrier landed it. ran over and touched the motor and it was hot to touch. This was all with a fresh balanced 5030 on a 2500kv motor. The motor only has about 20 flights on it to...

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 08:14 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
I know it wasn't flying style with mine. After the initial flights I was doing oval laps gently increasing throttle until I got a cutoff. I found that it usually happened around 70% on a fresh pack. I'm not completely convinced that is is OCP and not OTP. The motor windmills at idle and probably everything being so small I bet it cools fast while gliding down. The one cutoff I had was most certainly OTP as It was on landing I was at <10% throttle on a nice stabilized approach and it just cut two feet off the ground. I just flared and carrier landed it. ran over and touched the motor and it was hot to touch. This was all with a fresh balanced 5030 on a 2500kv motor. The motor only has about 20 flights on it to...

-Brian
I don't think the motor had much of a chance to cool down before I checked it. I usually do harrier landings at my feet, so I've usually got the power on until just before I pick it up. But then I'm running the 2300/5043, which is considerably less current-hungry than the 2500/5030 - given the flight-time increase I saw when I switched the B3D to the 2300/5043.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old May 23, 2012, 08:31 PM
Parkzone junkie
kalmon's Avatar
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
I don't think the motor had much of a chance to cool down before I checked it. I usually do harrier landings at my feet, so I've usually got the power on until just before I pick it up. But then I'm running the 2300/5043, which is considerably less current-hungry than the 2500/5030 - given the flight-time increase I saw when I switched the B3D to the 2300/5043.

Joel
Yeah I'm hoping when my CC arrives, which got pushed back again... , I'll get a 2300kv in it. Then I'll take it out and put it in the B3D to test on 3S. I've got a nice 5043 all balanced and ready to go. I also made myself a custom 5530 by trimming down a 6030. I sanded the blades to match the tip shape of a 5030. Should be a great prop on the beast considering how much ground clearance it has especially with those big ol' 1.25s on it.

*edit* I wonder what could be causing my motor to get so hot. bad winding? inadequate airflow? I wonder if I made a cooling intake area under the motor to match the gap over it would help.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Last edited by kalmon; May 23, 2012 at 08:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 11:01 PM
**I'm Battman**
RCBABBEL's Avatar
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,569 Posts
B3D/stock 2500Kv motor/GWS 5030 prop:

The crazy part of this 3S situation is I've flown a couple times this year in 75~80 temps.
I love Wide Open Throttle management.
I peg the throttle stick every chance I get.
I've never hit OCP ever.
I've popped the hood many times as soon as I land.
Motor is always cool to the touch.


rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Official Eflite UMX Beast Owners thread! darksiede Micro Ready-to-Fly 18358 Yesterday 01:32 PM
Sold Eflite UMX Beast w/3batt and charger $120 shipped RobDog Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Feb 06, 2011 09:40 PM
Wanted eflite UMX Beast fnlrun Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 11 Dec 12, 2010 04:23 AM
Sold eflite UMX BEAST TERMAGATOR Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 8 Dec 04, 2010 01:16 AM