SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 06, 2011, 07:33 PM
Mexico, MEX, Naucalpan
Joined May 2009
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk newbie View Post
Nose is heavy , but still flys well...
Hi. I also can balance somehow easily on the factory marks (nose heavy), however I've been trying to find a better CG and for me it's behind the factory marks, but it requires about 16 grams on the tail. I'm using this as a guide:

http://forums.flyesl.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=255

I do not have yet a definitive position, but working on it.
fbm224 is offline Find More Posts by fbm224
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2011, 08:12 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Aug 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl View Post
I like that! I use two rare earth magnets now but this is a way better solution!

I also have the CG at exact 70mm. With a 1300 battery you should trim it at the stock cg spots (marked on the underside). It's thermalling like an Eagle! (If weather permits......)
I should have mentioned mine also CGs at the marks.

The only trouble with thermalling like an eagle is the bloody eagles . . . .
Ken_Jungles is offline Find More Posts by Ken_Jungles
Old Oct 07, 2011, 01:36 AM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbm224 View Post
Hi. I also can balance somehow easily on the factory marks (nose heavy), however I've been trying to find a better CG and for me it's behind the factory marks, but it requires about 16 grams on the tail. I'm using this as a guide:

http://forums.flyesl.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=255

I do not have yet a definitive position, but working on it.
Try 75 / 80 mm from LE....

Why would you add weight,

by moveing the Battery back you change the CG point..
skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
Old Oct 07, 2011, 09:05 PM
Mexico, MEX, Naucalpan
Joined May 2009
29 Posts
Quote:
Try 75 / 80 mm from LE....

Why would you add weight,

by moveing the Battery back you change the CG point..
Because I already moved the battery (3s 1.8a) as far back I can, without having to extend the battery tray. Which I'm trying to avoid, at least until I find a cg that I'm really comfortable with. BTW, I had a nose in crash about 2 weeks ago, and the nose was bent bad, so it has a little more weight from the repair (some fiberglass and about 4 inches of steel rod).
Old Oct 08, 2011, 05:38 AM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbm224 View Post
Because I already moved the battery (3s 1.8a) as far back I can, without having to extend the battery tray. Which I'm trying to avoid, at least until I find a cg that I'm really comfortable with. BTW, I had a nose in crash about 2 weeks ago, and the nose was bent bad, so it has a little more weight from the repair (some fiberglass and about 4 inches of steel rod).
Have you tryed a heavier battery 2200mAh...

You don't have to extend the battery tray , just undo the screws move the tray back and re-screw the battery tray

Good idea with the steel rods. .
Old Oct 09, 2011, 04:17 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,408 Posts
Can you guys help me out with some quick answers, I don't wanna go through the whole thread at the moment...But once I will do ...I would like to have a speedy setup, how much speed can the existing wings handle? Do you guys reinforce them or they are stiff enough...I heard I would have to reinforce the motor mount, is it a hard task or not so much? Which motor and servo's would you recommend for a speedy setup (by speedy i mean that it climbs fast and could also perform a fast low pass)...
Maybe I'll once also fpv it, is the wing strong enough to mount a 150g hd cam on the wing (far enough that the prop won't be in the view)?

Thanks guys!
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Old Oct 09, 2011, 04:37 PM
Joined Aug 2011
714 Posts
Its a glider not a hotliner.

Wings can handle the speed its those pull outs and nose punches that do them in.
UlteriorModem is offline Find More Posts by UlteriorModem
Old Oct 09, 2011, 04:50 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,408 Posts
i don't mean that much speed like a hotliner would have... I mean like those competitive gliders,..is it the f5j category? So basically if i wanted to perform a more agressive manuever a eould have to additionaly strenghten the wings?
Old Oct 09, 2011, 06:35 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
i don't mean that much speed like a hotliner would have... I mean like those competitive gliders,..is it the f5j category? So basically if i wanted to perform a more agressive manuever a eould have to additionaly strenghten the wings?
I've Fiber Tape on the full length of the LE wing , allso Fiber Taped the midle where the two wing halfs join together...

Fiberglassing the motormount/Firewall will give you added strenght

See post 852 for my set up...

Sean
Last edited by skyhawk newbie; Oct 09, 2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2011, 06:46 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post

Here's my Vid ,not too many agressive manuevers. A few Rolls , loops good cilmb rate with the set up I have...

Pheonix 2000 Glider. (6 min 29 sec)

Old Oct 11, 2011, 07:37 AM
Mexico, MEX, Naucalpan
Joined May 2009
29 Posts
Quote:
Have you tryed a heavier battery 2200mAh...

You don't have to extend the battery tray , just undo the screws move the tray back and re-screw the battery tray

Good idea with the steel rods. .
No, I haven't, I only have 1.8Ah, I'm not comfortable moving the tray because it gives structural rigidity to the fuselage right where the opening of the canopy is, the nylon fuselage in my opinion needs the tray to be where it is now to avoid flexing of the nylon.

Thank you, the rods are glued in with CA and baking soda before covering it with the fiberglass.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:05 AM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,158 Posts
:
CofG/Battery Position
I don't understand all this talk about moving the battery tray to get the CoG correct. All I ever do (when there is space - as there is in this glider) is when using the Velcro is to put a full strip of 'loop' on the battery and a full strip of 'hook' on the battery tray, then adjust the battery backwards and forwards depending on what size/weight battery I'm using.

I was going to take photos, but I'm too lazy, and I'm sure you get the picture/idea!
Or am I missing something!?

B!LL!

Crushed Nose
PS: FBM224 (regarding post#859) and everyone I guess - When I cartwheeled and crashed my Phoenix just after launch because of stupidly launching when I had not done radio and control surface checks and it turned out the ailerons were plugged into the flaps and visa versa, the nose got crushed in about 8mm, snapped motor shaft, lost about 2 inches off a wing tip and took the rudder off.

The wing tip and rudder were easy fixes, but the crushed nose and broken motor shaft were a hassle. Luckily I had spare motor shafts the right size. As for the nose I just soaked it in almost boiling water (well from the hot water tap - not the kettle) I managed to work it back into shape fairly good. If you look at pictures in post#847 you can see the nose is not in 'factory mint' condition after the repair, but the plane is still performing great. I've found no need to strengthen the nose, I just will try to avoid idiot noob mistakes in the future so I don't have any unintended contacts with terrain!

B!LL!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Last edited by Fugitive_Bill; Oct 11, 2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:44 AM
New Brunswick
Joined Feb 2006
1,190 Posts
I'm hesitating between the ARF or the PNP, is the equipment that come with it is good or everything needed to replace?
choopi is offline Find More Posts by choopi
Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:10 PM
Heli's and gliders, what else?
Nederland, GE, Slijk-Ewijk
Joined Apr 2006
747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choopi View Post
I'm hesitating between the ARF or the PNP, is the equipment that come with it is good or everything needed to replace?
Just get the PNP and at the same time get the following items from HK:
  1. XT900 x 5
  2. 40 a ESC with build-in 4a BEC
  3. 2836-1000kv motor
  4. 1300 mAh lipo packs
  5. Get a proper spinner
Ok, now you´ve got that, strenghten the firewall as described in this thread and get a proper set of blades from Aeronaut and you´re all set to have a very pleasant flying experience!
BarnOwl is offline Find More Posts by BarnOwl
Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:23 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,408 Posts
Thanks for the answering skyhawk. ..Does your plane climb vertically?