Old Dec 03, 2009, 09:38 AM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,858 Posts
Build Log
Tweplica 40 build

Hello All,

First off,, a special thanks to all the Twistaholics who have contributed countless ideas, tips, and so much information to this RC flyin man, that it is an honor and privilege for me to have been a part of the best group of people I have ever met in the cyber world. we have met many friends along the way and only hope to add more friends as we continue on our journey into the ever changing RC adventures.

This is going to be a build of the Tweplica 40 with the courtesy of Nomatta who drew up the plans. I am going to go through building this plane step by step.

What is the Tweplica? this is one of the most fun planes you will ever fly. it was discontinued, (but now its re-continued) but I'm going to do the build thread anyway, so this build is for a group of us called the Twistaholics who love this plane so much, many combinations and altercations and mods have been tried on this plane. so we are hoping to be able to keep it around for us if no one else. Our good friend Nomatta went through and drew out the plans and has built and flown it.

So by doing this build thread and showing just how easy it can be to scratch build a plane we will hopefully teach some people how to build and even repair their own planes in the future, and of course keep this blast of a plane around for as long as this site exists.

You can build this plane as any size you want, I will be building the 40 sized version.
It is very 3D capable and will do all the 3D you can think of, but not the best for learning 3D.
As a fun flyer there is no end to the good time you will have.

On Low Rates it will handle like a trainer, on high rates well you just try and tame the beast.

I will begin this project in the 2nd or 3rd week of January 2010

I am listing the parts and plans so who ever would like to go along for the ride has some time to get the materials needed if they don't have most of it laying around already.

This is a very simple and quick plane to build and I of course welcome any idea and or tips along the way.
Everyone has their own way of building a plane so my methods might not be for you, I am going to build this plane with the complete beginner in mind, there are no special trades one needs to master to build this plane. if you can tie your shoe, you can build this plane.
everything will be explained very simply and slowly with pics and videos of how each part is worked on and completed.

So with that said save a copy of these plans and have them blown up to full size. for the 40 version the wing should be 4' long when done.
The cost was $5.67 at staples

The Twistaholics group can be found here. they will more than welcome you and answer just about any question under the sun. RC related or not LOL
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post14103097

The plans and other tips and great information are also located here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1032106

Big thanks for these go to "NoMatta"
Waldopepperaxe is online now Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Last edited by Waldopepperaxe; Aug 05, 2011 at 08:12 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2009, 09:40 AM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,858 Posts
Here is the parts List

All the prices for the wood came from Balsa USA
The prices for everything else were from Tower Hobbies.
Use any place you like to use, I was just trying to have some kind of estimated cost for everything.

Feel free to change the prices under the "cost per piece" column and it will change the totals.
Tab 1 is the parts list, Tab 2 is a quick order sheet that has all the wood combined so you won't have to go through it all while ordering.
Let me know if something isn't right as I am not even close to perfect. lol

This is a chart on the different densities of Balsa wood.

I would like to say Thanks to Daoldguy for this research.

http://www.pelaero.com.au/Density%20chart.htm

Save this file to your computer by right clicking it, then save as, then Change the file extension from .PDF to .XLS it is a spread sheet
Last edited by Waldopepperaxe; Feb 19, 2010 at 07:38 AM.
Old Dec 03, 2009, 09:44 AM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,858 Posts
Here are some of the engine choices you can use. there is much more information on the Link above to the "Twistaholics Mods page". any choice is pretty much a great choice for this plane.

TT40 Engines
46 AX ...the standard. Run a 12.25x3.75 on this combo for max performance. 12x4 is ok too.
For a 4 stroke Hot Rod....Os 70 to a Saito 82 with a 14x4, 13x4
OS 61FX for 2 stroke max performance with a 13x4
Waldo's 61 ...."OS 61FX 13x4 and 13x10 for a hoot"
Plow's 61......."I like the OS 61FX/MAS 12 X 7 S2 Series (Scimitar) prop."

TT60 Engines
Ya know, this is a 60 but I dont know anybody runnin a 60
4s choice...OS 91 FS with a 14x4, 15x4
2s choice...OS 91 FX with a 14x4, 14x6
Crazies choice.... up to 125 4 strokes with a 16x4
Old Dec 03, 2009, 11:34 AM
Washougal, Washington, United States
Joined Jan 2004
1,390 Posts
.pdf problem?

This is what I got.
balsabuster2004 is offline Find More Posts by balsabuster2004
Old Dec 03, 2009, 12:17 PM
Cookies Good - Bacon Better
Portland, Oregon
Joined Sep 2008
1,590 Posts
Balsabluster, change the .pdf to .xls and open in in excel.

Waldo, thanks for the public service. Remember, I'm watching you.
NoMatta is offline Find More Posts by NoMatta
Old Dec 03, 2009, 12:46 PM
Washougal, Washington, United States
Joined Jan 2004
1,390 Posts
.pdf

Right-click on picture. Do "Save As", change extension from .pdf to .xls. - WORKS!
balsabuster2004 is offline Find More Posts by balsabuster2004
Old Dec 03, 2009, 12:48 PM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,858 Posts
Cool, I was hoping I didn't confuse the thing right off the get go
Old Dec 03, 2009, 03:37 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,305 Posts
Thanks for doing this Waldo.

Subscribed!!
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Dec 03, 2009, 04:00 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2008
2,937 Posts
Let me also say Thank You for the build thread . Although my T___T is still in great shape its great to know I can Recreate it if I dumbthumb it
init4fun is offline Find More Posts by init4fun
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 03, 2009, 05:42 PM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,119 Posts
Ok, what did I miss? Oh, and Waldo.......I don't feel left out at all regarding engine/prop choice.....really.

snowman is offline Find More Posts by snowman
Old Dec 03, 2009, 08:41 PM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,858 Posts
Snowman What did you miss?? LOL you've been following along. I think LOL And wasn't it you who first put the 61FX on this baby.?

I just copied that engine ditty from the mods page LOL maybe I should have read it again lol Don't get to far behind now its your flying season coming right around the corner.

were having a group Waldo build along lol hmmm I might need to write some music to go with the clips, nope this is plenty enough for this ol boy
Old Dec 03, 2009, 10:01 PM
Newbee AMA # 912488
USA, FL, Pembroke Pines
Joined Sep 2008
123 Posts
My First Scratch Build for an ARF Guy!

Waldo,

I will be following your teachings, Sensei!

Subscribed!! and getting the wood!

Regards,
Eddie
Crazy Eddie is offline Find More Posts by Crazy Eddie
Old Dec 04, 2009, 06:07 AM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,119 Posts
Waldo, how do I subscribe to this here build? Yes, I've been following since the beginning and anticipate every addition to it. With regards to the engine....I'm just pulling your chain. I doubt I was the first, but surely O.S. should be rewarding my promotional efforts, of getting the word out about the phenominal O.S. .61FX and it's many merits, by showering me with company stocks, world cruises, new cars, free engines, etc....
snowman is offline Find More Posts by snowman
Old Dec 04, 2009, 02:33 PM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,858 Posts
Alright kids it looks like its shaping up pretty good welcome all who are going to swell their fingers with the xacto blade

Snowman I know your just bustin my chops, I wouldn't have it any other way, I'd be more worried if you weren't.

Jack211 and yourself were the very first people that talked to me on the original thread, and since then you were always raving about the 61FX combo, I just assumed you were the inspiration for that one as I never heard of anyone else speaking of it back then. it only took me 3 years to buy one with all the other projects I was doing. and the fear of the losing the way it handled with my 70 4 stroke, but man was it worth the wait. and if I don't know when your playing around with me by now, I never will lol
Old Dec 08, 2009, 05:55 AM
Nederland
Joined Sep 2005
158 Posts
I'am gone follow this.

Subscribed!!
Sanka is offline Find More Posts by Sanka