HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Today, 05:16 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2010
1,150 Posts
Thanks BJ

Everything should be within limits as i have been flying for quite some time, but details as follows anyway:

red brick 120 amp esc, 4 cell 2200mah 25c xpower batt, turnigy g25 motor, esc is just behind battery, so in the saddle position, prop 12x10, i should have way enough esc for the job hence i'm so puzzled, take note that it happened at low rpm bench testing it at home so it wasn't even flying, perhaps i need to change the timing on that esc but i do not know where to find it's manual ? And not know what it's on now, strange thing is the esc and bec works perfectly and i had 6 flights since then with no hassles, i sometimes swop between 3 and 4 cells, don't know if that could be a problem, perhaps whatever burned was a loose connection somewhere that burned "in place" but what and how to be certain... ?
Axefly is offline Find More Posts by Axefly
Last edited by Axefly; Today at 05:34 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 06:01 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2010
1,150 Posts
it's this esc:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
Axefly is offline Find More Posts by Axefly
Old Today, 06:07 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
26,259 Posts
Hmmm....

Everything sounds well within spec then.

But that burning smell ain't always a good sign.

Wonder if it was just because you were bench testing it - static testing tends to put a bit more load on everything compared to actually flying.

Did you maybe have it on full throttle for a bit too long without it being able to move?

The whole drivetrain can load up if it isn't actually flying - and, of course, you don't have any decent cooling going on either.

Meh - it sounds like it's flying ok now.

Any tell-tale signs of overheating on the ESC? Like a melt mark on the shrink tube, dark burny looking patches etc?

Where you able to log your amp draw using a Watt Meter?

BJ
BJ64 is online now Find More Posts by BJ64
Old Today, 06:11 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
26,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axefly View Post
That should be way within capacity, seeing as the motor is only rated at 44A for 15 sec and your ESC is rated to 125A max.

Unless you've entered the programming mode of the ESC (that beep mode thingy), I doubt now if it is ESC-timing related - HK usually set their ESC's to default to 'medium' timing one-size-fits-all, IIRC.

Still, you never know for sure...

BJ
BJ64 is online now Find More Posts by BJ64
Old Today, 07:14 AM
Unregistered User
United States, MO, Cameron
Joined Jan 2011
1,058 Posts
[QUOTE=Jerryzito;30974767]Here is the link for it.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html[/QUO

Thanks for the info Jerry.
Kerwin49 is online now Find More Posts by Kerwin49