HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2015, 04:40 AM
Joined Feb 2015
8 Posts
Discussion
Budget FPV build - please help!

Hey guys. I've been flying for about four months now and I'd like to get into FPV. I don't have a lot of cash so I've come up with a budget build.

I'm trying to keep the cost as close to $200- $300 as possible. Long term I'd like to add a proper autopilot with GPS waypoints and return home capability, but for the mean time I'm happy with goggles and a simple OSD showing RSSI and Voltage. I'll be flying fairly short range, <1km.

So heres what I had in mind. Bear in mind that I'm in Australia so shipping costs can be quite expensive. Hobbyking has an Australia warehouse so most of my order is from there.
  • Bixler 2 - $70
  • Turnigy Motor - $12.5
  • ESC 40A blueseries - $25
  • 6 cheap ebay servos - $12
  • 3S 2200mah - $13
  • Runcam PZ0420H - $38
  • Boscam 200mw tx/rx TS351 + RC805 - $48
  • frsky D8-II plus - $38
  • Quanum DIY FPV goggles - $38
  • Hobbyking E-OSD - $18
  • Shipping $30
  • Antennas, extra batteries etc

What do you guys think? I've already got the 9XR + frsky module. Anywhere I can save money? Is the Bixler 2 a good choice?
lipro is offline Find More Posts by lipro
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2015, 05:40 AM
FPV Proximity is FUN!
Australia, WA, York
Joined May 2012
1,828 Posts
The E-osd doesn't display RSSI, but fine for short range stuff. Looks pretty good! Check out the hobbyking DIY goggs thread to see some nice resolution mods and lens mods.

-Ben
fOaMmaSh87 is offline Find More Posts by fOaMmaSh87
Old Feb 27, 2015, 08:25 AM
Joined Feb 2015
8 Posts
Stock it doesn't but the HK E-OSD has two voltage inputs and can be flashed to read one as RSSI.
http://blog.oscarliang.net/e-osd-fla...-using-arduin/

It can't read PWM signals so a circuit has to be built to convert it to a continous voltage.

If there's a better OSD out there in the similar price range, let me know. I'm contemplating getting one which can read current...
Old Feb 27, 2015, 09:10 AM
FPV Proximity is FUN!
Australia, WA, York
Joined May 2012
1,828 Posts
Oh yeah I've heard of the RSSI mod, never done it to mine.
fOaMmaSh87 is offline Find More Posts by fOaMmaSh87
Old Feb 28, 2015, 07:01 AM
Joined Feb 2015
8 Posts
Contemplating getting a more powerful and configurable OSD, like a Naze32 or CC3D clone plus minimOSD. Not much more expensive and those devices have onboard gyros, GPS connections and can act as autopilots.
Old Mar 02, 2015, 02:19 PM
Wait...what?
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Sep 2010
1,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipro View Post
Hey guys. I've been flying for about four months now and I'd like to get into FPV. I don't have a lot of cash so I've come up with a budget build.

I'm trying to keep the cost as close to $200- $300 as possible. Long term I'd like to add a proper autopilot with GPS waypoints and return home capability, but for the mean time I'm happy with goggles and a simple OSD showing RSSI and Voltage. I'll be flying fairly short range, <1km.

So heres what I had in mind. Bear in mind that I'm in Australia so shipping costs can be quite expensive. Hobbyking has an Australia warehouse so most of my order is from there.
  • Bixler 2 - $70
  • Turnigy Motor - $12.5
  • ESC 40A blueseries - $25
  • 6 cheap ebay servos - $12
  • 3S 2200mah - $13
  • Runcam PZ0420H - $38
  • Boscam 200mw tx/rx TS351 + RC805 - $48
  • frsky D8-II plus - $38
  • Quanum DIY FPV goggles - $38
  • Hobbyking E-OSD - $18
  • Shipping $30
  • Antennas, extra batteries etc

What do you guys think? I've already got the 9XR + frsky module. Anywhere I can save money? Is the Bixler 2 a good choice?
What you have listed is (almost) the exact setup I use. I have an 8" monitor instead of the Quanum goggle.
If you are considering a flight controller/OSD I highly recommend this:
http://www.rctimer.com/product-1269.html Add a current sensor and MinimOsd and you have a full blown autopilot UAV system with stabilization, RTH and waypoint navigation for less than $150 US.
OR
This new option from HK if you want to save weight, same price and specs but MUCH smaller.
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...r_915Mhz_.html

Check out my Youtube channel to see mine in action. Love my Bix2 UAV
https://www.youtube.com/user/gbmarsh...ew=0&flow=grid

EDIT: With the DJT and D8R-II Plus, RSSI on the OSD isn't that important as the beeps from the module are VERY good for letting you now when you get to the edges of your range.

Cheers,
Geoff
gbmarsh is online now Find More Posts by gbmarsh
Last edited by gbmarsh; Mar 02, 2015 at 02:34 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2015, 08:09 PM
United States, Mt, Great Falls
Joined May 2011
377 Posts
i would upgrade the servos. all that gear and one poor qc'ed servos and you know the rest of the story
jminardi is online now Find More Posts by jminardi
Old Mar 02, 2015, 08:48 PM
Joined Feb 2015
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmarsh View Post
If you are considering a flight controller/OSD I highly recommend this:
http://www.rctimer.com/product-1269.html Add a current sensor and MinimOsd and you have a full blown autopilot UAV system with stabilization, RTH and waypoint navigation for less than $150 US.
Interesting. I had considered the APM as it is quite a mature platform. But I was concerned about the longevity from a hardware resources standpoint, given that it is an 8-bit system which has been around for a while. However it sounds like it already has the features I'd need.

The APM2.5 (with on-board magnetometer) is only about $48 on ebay.

Also I think I'll be going for the Bix3 as the Bixler 2 is out of stock. I do like the sound of the easier wing attachment.
Last edited by lipro; Mar 02, 2015 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Bix