Old Feb 21, 2015, 12:39 PM
Being British About It
United Kingdom, England, Grimsby
Joined Feb 2015
11 Posts
Discussion
Dynam / Art-Tech AT-6 Texan for Novice?

Hi Guy n gals,

Sorry this has probably been covered a million times, although I did have a search I couldn't really find the opinions I was looking for.

I'm something of a novice flyer, I've got a foamy Easy Star II FPV/Trainer high wing job and I want to move on and expand my horizons as it were.

I can fly the Easy Start pretty easily, my only fear is landings, which I doubt it something I'll ever truly overcome, although I've never actually broken or heavily damaged anything on the Easy Star. The only one disaster I've had with it was on the down-wind run as I wanted to come in to land I tried to bank as I got over a hedge at about 10ft off the ground, I think some wind shear picked the nose up and tipped me over, so I nosed down into the field. My fault for not thinking about it and not carrying enough speed to survive it. other than a bit of mud and a glue join coming undone there was no damage. Won't make that mistake again.

So I'm comfortable with high wing stuff and want to go to a low-wing something a bit more scale. I'm by no means into acrobatics or stunt flying, just enjoy flying around. I prefer stuff nice and slow and nice slow pitch and roll rates so I don't 'over control' the thing.

Question is, given my experience is the Texan a good craft for me to be learning low-wing plane flight on? Open to folks making suggestions pointing me in the right direction if not?

Appreciate the support, thanks guys!
Artermis is offline Find More Posts by Artermis
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2015, 08:37 PM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
1,146 Posts
I would say DON'T get the Texan, or if you do, be on the gas for those down-wind turns, if you're going too slow, it'll drop like a rock. Taildragging planes of just about ANY persuasion are pretty temperamental, some have slower stall speed than others, 'course you can always discover the planes tendencies "a-couple-mistakes-high"...things like stall speed, practice landing approaches, etc., but it's gonna be LIGHTYEARS beyond your Easy Star in just about every aspect...choose wisely...
matiac is online now Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue
Old Feb 21, 2015, 08:48 PM
Santa Cruz, CA
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined Sep 2011
1,557 Posts
However.... It's a fun plane once you get used to it. Flew mine today.
karltrek is online now Find More Posts by karltrek
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2015, 12:02 AM
Being British About It
Joined Feb 2015
11 Posts
Thank you Karl, Matiac.

They do look like fun birds.

I think Matiac has just about nailed it; any tail dragger is going to be vastly different experience and I anticipate that entirely.

What I'm struggling to work out is just which is the most forgiving craft for my needs as a good platform to learn with, there are so many out there to choose from as well

Thank you gents.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 12:07 AM
Santa Cruz, CA
Joined Sep 2011
1,557 Posts
A T-28 is a great next step. Dynam. Durafly, FMS, or Parkzone. Easy flying airframe.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2015, 09:15 AM
AMA 994002
Joined May 2012
1,146 Posts
I was gonna say T28, but the downside to those is the trike L.G., which isn't a problem in and of itself, but that front strut doesn't have a whole lotta foam under it, re-inforce the puppy-poop outta that whole area, or a landing on anything taller than putting green grass COULD rip that strut right outta the plane, OR, you coould get the 800mm T28, and hand-launch/belly-land...unless you have actual pavement to fly off of...
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2015, 10:46 AM
Unstoppable
Northern Virginia
Joined Oct 2007
180 Posts
Parkzone T28 for sure. Put a Safe Rx in it if you have the money for extra security.

Or if you must have that taildragger style try the new Parkzone F4u Corsair with Safe, but this plane imo is harder to fly then the T28.

My T28 has been super easy flying and extremely tough/durable.

I have no experience on the cheaper Chinese planes but many like them.

After teaching my best friend to fly using my Apprentice S15e with Safe I think Safe is super usefull for beginners, or transistioning into a warbird.

Also if you can not fully control and land with ease anytime you want, on a highwing plane, a warbird will push you well beyond your skill level.

They are a different breed entirely.
Lancair 888 is offline Find More Posts by Lancair 888
Old Feb 22, 2015, 11:41 AM
Coy, peruser of worlds
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
5,114 Posts
Artermis -

Another option in a different direction would be getting the FMS 1050mm PT-17 Stearman.

For a tail dragger, it has good manners holding directional stability on the takeoff/landing runs and is very honest in the air. Being a biplane, it flies just "different", very little lateral stability, about what you'd get on one of the easier fighters.

The wheels allow you to operate off of medium grass with little nose over tendencies if you keep mindful of the elevator. The l.g. is also one of the most rugged I've seen on any of these foam planes. It also flairs nicely for landings.

It flies briskly but not fast and can be kept in a relatively small area. In the event of simple nose-overs, the top wing aids in keeping damage to a minimum to the rudder.

It does handle much like a low wing fighter, giving you the feedback as you would need to learn to do the battle birds.

Just a thought. Thread here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1577782
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
Old Feb 23, 2015, 12:17 AM
Being British About It
Joined Feb 2015
11 Posts
HI guys,

Thank you everyone for their input. It looks like the T-28 is getting a lot of votes here, so I think I maybe have to go in that direction, although the Stearman is an interesting bit of kit too.

Thankfully when it comes to flying locations I'm blessed with many options. I actually live in the county of Lincolnshire, England. This is often referred to as Bomber County, because during WWII all the RAF bomber forces were stationed at RAF airbases littered across the region. My parents house even backs onto an old airfield they used to fly the Lancaster from, albeit some of it is now a golf course, the runsways are still there. I also live about 20 mins from RAF Binbrook, where they flew the mental Electric Lightning out of and where they filmed one of my favourite films, Memphis Bell.

On a more still summers day I'm about 5 mins from a great beach which has nice smooth we sand to play on. I also have access to a large paddock which is short grass. There is even a manege (a field where you school horses) which is lined with chopped rubber in case you're in need of a place to ditch.

Cheers everyone for your help!
Old Feb 23, 2015, 12:41 PM
Being British About It
Joined Feb 2015
11 Posts
Just an update since this morning. After watching some of the build logs, setup videos etc around the place, I've taken the plunge and gone with the T-28 from Dynam.

Wasn't really sure at first, I certainly didn't like the look of it compared to the AT-6 but it's grown on me a lot the more I've been looking at it, so overall I'm pleased.

I've gone for the red and white version in the hope that it'll be easy enough to spot in the grey gloom of a Lincolnshire skyline. I'll hopefully get the LEDs figured out to help with that too.

I have to admit, having read the recommendations about the Stearman and the Corsair were very very close competitors, as I do still like the tail dragger idea. I think once I've gotten used to the low-wing setup of the T-28 I'll be revisiting them.

I did read up about the SAFE thing too. The concept of a flight controller isn't anything new to me as I've fooled around the Quadcopters for a while now. With that in mind I've ordered a CC3D board. I'll get that setup and functioning in a manner I understand before I place it in the T-28 for it's maiden.

Whilst I'd fallen out with my money I've also ordered up the necessary items to have flap functionality and a loss and Lipo alarm, just in case!

Thanks everyone.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 10:07 PM
Santa Cruz, CA
Joined Sep 2011
1,557 Posts
Since you have decided on the Dynam T-28 here is a vid of mine out on Sunday. It has been much up powered. Still a wonderful flying aircraft. Very stable. Has a Lemon RX DSMX receiver with gyro and a Hobby King NTM 4238 - 750kv motor. Very fast.

Dynam T 28 in cross wind (4 min 27 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2015, 12:26 AM
Being British About It
Joined Feb 2015
11 Posts
Haha yep that looks like it's running a fair bit of power! I'll just run mine stock, I don't think I'll need any help crashing in that respect. Great location you've got there too!

I'm hoping all the kit arrives for mine some point this week but the weather forecast for the weekend isn't good, >20mph winds here so no flying time for me I think. Still gives additional build time I guess.

Have you done anything regarding strengthening the nose wheel on yours, a lot of people seem to suggest its a weak point?
Old Feb 25, 2015, 02:05 AM
Santa Cruz, CA
Joined Sep 2011
1,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artermis View Post
Haha yep that looks like it's running a fair bit of power! I'll just run mine stock, I don't think I'll need any help crashing in that respect. Great location you've got there too!

I'm hoping all the kit arrives for mine some point this week but the weather forecast for the weekend isn't good, >20mph winds here so no flying time for me I think. Still gives additional build time I guess.

Have you done anything regarding strengthening the nose wheel on yours, a lot of people seem to suggest its a weak point?
I have not done anything to the landing gear. It is all stock. But as you can see our field is pretty smooth. Grass fields will take there toll on the Dynam retracks.

Thanks. We are lucky to have this old runway. Unfortunately it's slated to be developed over the next two years. So our time here is limited. This is one time I hope bureaucratic red tape keeps getting in the way.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2015, 12:03 PM
AMA 994002
Joined May 2012
1,146 Posts
Hey Karl, in your video there's a guy on your right with what I thought was a Corsair, then saw the square-ish tail...what was that? Had the gull-wing, then that square tail...?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2015, 12:49 PM
Coy, peruser of worlds
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
5,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matiac View Post
Hey Karl, in your video there's a guy on your right with what I thought was a Corsair, then saw the square-ish tail...what was that? Had the gull-wing, then that square tail...?
Watch it again. It's a Corsair but the rudder is angled full right.
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82