HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2015, 09:47 PM
Joined Aug 2012
22 Posts
Discussion
Recovering hinge area

I'm new to RC and want to recover my ARF. Don't like the color. How do handle the hinge areas? Do I cut off the hinges and start over? Or do I use a tool to get the covering down into the crack of the control surface?

The videos on Youtube all show people covering planes that don't have control surfaces attached which makes me curious.

Thanks in advance...
Rockinar is offline Find More Posts by Rockinar
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2015, 10:20 PM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
4,013 Posts
As long as you have a bit of space to deal with some irons will get into pretty small gaps. Ripping hinges out could make quite a mess.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXB365&P=8
davidmc36 is online now Find More Posts by davidmc36
Old Feb 21, 2015, 02:49 AM
Joined Aug 2012
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36 View Post
As long as you have a bit of space to deal with some irons will get into pretty small gaps. Ripping hinges out could make quite a mess.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXB365&P=8
Yeah, that looks to be the route I will go. Messing with the hinges seems to be more of a project than I'm interested in right now. I was just not sure how most people did it.
Rockinar is offline Find More Posts by Rockinar
Old Feb 21, 2015, 09:43 AM
United States, NJ, Woodstown
Joined Sep 2011
169 Posts
if you have CA or nylon hinges, it's easier to do a better job of covering if you cut off the hinges. In my opinion, it also saves a decent amount of time since you don't have to fiddle around in cramped areas with a hot iron and worry about sticking the covering together.

Just re-slot adjacent to the old hinges for the new hinges and you'll be good as new.

Good luck...
valkrider is online now Find More Posts by valkrider
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2015, 09:57 AM
United States, CA, Hidden Valley Lake
Joined Aug 2002
68 Posts
I try to avoid cutting the hinges if I can.
I take a piece of my lightest colored covering and cut it 1" wide by the length of the surface I am covering. I then cut 1/2" deep slots where the hinges are. This piece I can then slip into the space between the wing/stabilizer and the control surface. Tack it into place. This allows me to cover the surface up to slot and the wood in the slot is protected. This will have to be done on both surfaces.

Good Luck,
KW_Counter
kw_counter is offline Find More Posts by kw_counter
Old Feb 21, 2015, 10:49 AM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
4,013 Posts
The only thing that I might be worried about if you re-cover without cutting hinges off is if it is a wet fuel model you may not be able to get the covering overlapped and that would leave a place where exhaust gasses etc. could get under the covering.

If you are electric, should be no worries.

Cutting hinges off and making new slots sounds like a good idea.
davidmc36 is online now Find More Posts by davidmc36
Old Mar 01, 2015, 04:01 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,729 Posts
I recovered a set of repaired wings yesterday and, rather than patch them up I stripped them for recovering. Didn't want to rehinge them though, so I left the strip ailerons covered and then just extended the new Oracover over the original covering. It added a fraction of an ounce of weight, I suppose, but it saved a lot of hassle. I slit the covering at the hinge-line underneath, but experimented with leaving a full film hinge on top.

However I didn't like the added resistance, so ended up slitting the top covering as well. My standard covering iron easily got into the hingeline to ensure that everything was well stuck down.

That Profilm/Oracover is great stuff - an absolutely drum tight finish when shrunk with a heat gun, after the ironing on, and tough as old boots.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer