HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2015, 02:04 AM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Jan 2013
669 Posts
Discussion
Evo 40/46 Remote NVA Perfect Fit for McCoy 35 Red Head

Who says you can't teach an old dog a new trick? I just found that an Evolution .46 remote needle valve assembly is a perfect match for my Testors McCoy .35 Red Head. I just modernized this 60 year old engine, LOL. It dials in with a nice 4 stroke almost breaking into 2 stroke at 1.75 turns open. (It's for my Sterling S-1 Ringmaster. Head is blackened due to use of non-heat resistant red touch up paint painted over congealed Castor - used engine purchase.)

Cleaning up the head, I soaked it for 2 days in an old Poly-Perk percolator with 50-50 antifreeze. It works just as great as a crockpot, IMO. After heating to boil (leave off the grinds basket and stem), it switches to warming mode. Grime and paint scrubbed off with a toothbrush. Works like a champ, I can paint it or leave it in natural aluminum.
GallopingGhostlr is offline Find More Posts by GallopingGhostlr
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2015, 12:01 PM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
Joined Jan 2013
669 Posts
Testors used a paper gasket for the head gasket. I hypothesize that Permatex Ultra Gray RTV ought to work as a head gasket as the heat of combustion by methanol is 9,800 BTU/lb. versus gasoline at 20,400 BTU/lb. We don't get the cigarette lighting temperatures on exhaust parts like one does with auto exhaust manifolds. Ultra Gray is known to seal in very thin coats, used in auto transmission cases and I've used it with success on motorcycle cases. That was sufficient without concern for burning or heat stressing the paper.

I ran the engine 4 times, an ounce at a time. The Permatex Ultra Gray held. I've got 2 other McCoy 35's, when I strip the paint off their heads will be the time to repaint them. Thanks to Dennis Lipsett's inputs, I only need one can of Duplicolor engine paint and not the primer ($$$). This setup is good to go.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 02:03 AM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
Joined Jan 2013
669 Posts
Here''s the engine mounted on the business end of my 42 inch (1067 mm) span Sterling Kit S-1 Ringmaster. After some monior repairs, I'll fly it.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 12:43 PM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
3,033 Posts
Now that's good to know. I have one of those from my childhood days.
Edwin
edwin1 is offline Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Feb 14, 2015, 09:57 AM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,661 Posts
I am guessing that you soldered up the needle valve end, or made your own nipple fitting for the intake. I used to get the Fox remote needle valves. They were cheap and had a bracket to mount on the exh flange of the motor. I guess Fox is done now. They were a bit heavy but worked ok, better than their historical reputation.
aspeed is offline Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Feb 14, 2015, 10:12 AM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
Joined Jan 2013
669 Posts
I used a short 2-56 screw and flat washer to plug the needle end of the spraybar (see photo). Needle thread is 2-56.

Yes, it looks like Fox is no longer in the engine business, unfortunately.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 09:09 AM
Canada, ON, Windsor
Joined Apr 2008
1,148 Posts
For safety I used those EVO NVA's on all my 40 class motors and recommended that mod to my students and friends. In most cases they fit perfectly with no alterations, (just longer bolts).

Fortunately, with that style carb removal of the stock HS needles is painless. The caps are readily available for approx $5.

ps. I used the Fox and legacy OS setups and even fabbed my own in a pinch. Always preferred the EVO.
Cougar429 is offline Find More Posts by Cougar429
Old Feb 15, 2015, 09:32 AM
Certifiable Enya nut.
United States, MN, Cottage Grove
Joined Dec 2014
279 Posts
Boy... I went looking for a remote needle valve assembly at the hobby shop last week since I recently acquired an engine that needs one. Low and behold, the hobby shop only carries the OS RNV for a whopping $39!! That's just the NVA. Good to see the EVO units are much cheaper. I'll keep that in mind next time I need one.
1QwkSport2.5r is online now Find More Posts by 1QwkSport2.5r