TurboRacer is online now Find More Posts by TurboRacer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2015, 03:08 PM
Joined Jul 2006
819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjdog350 View Post
microheli :

What a nice place to fly. All that room?

I really like your 28mm edf. Down side what having to change out the board for a 2s board. I would think that would really drive up the price of the ASK-21?

However - a real nice flier. I can plainly see you have much more power available than my two MSRX tail motors are providing!
This was not my plane.
I think they have simply use the stock brick and channel5 to drive a external ESC for the 30mm EDF.
microheli is offline Find More Posts by microheli
Old Feb 11, 2015, 09:38 AM
Joined Jan 2007
120 Posts
I did a little power mod and after reviewing this thread I didn't see it done before, hopefully it works. The idea is to just make enough thrust to maintain altitude once pitched into the air. Maybe it would make enough to climb a little as well.

Use a heated 5/32 brass tube to make a hollow in the nose of the glider.
--Watch out for the tow release mechanism!
Use Beacon 3-n-1 to secure a NanoQX motor with prop in place.
--Align motor for slight right and down thrust.
--Add a small dab of glue on the rear of the motor to secure the wires.
Solder jumper wires from the backside of the motor plug on the brick to the motor wires.
--Looking from the top it is common on the left, positive in the middle of the connector.

I didn't have to change anything in the brick. The throttle channel worked perfectly.

Maiden will be this Friday at the next Akron Indoor.
http://www.rcgroups.com/nef-ne-ohio-...-festival-935/
Team_Monkey is offline Find More Posts by Team_Monkey
Last edited by Team_Monkey; Feb 11, 2015 at 10:13 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 06:04 PM
Northern Cali
Joined Sep 2003
1,559 Posts
Good job! I put a umxRadian drive-train in mine and it works very well. I need to reinforce the nose to make it stronger. Good luck with the maiden!

~Shoe
Brown Shoe is offline Find More Posts by Brown Shoe
Old Feb 14, 2015, 10:37 AM
HG and RC
United States, NY, Colonie
Joined Feb 2014
14 Posts
Hey, nice to see a little activity on this thread again. Just adding to the power mod pictures. I get a slow climb with max 5min of power...add thermals...much more! Without the power mod, this glider just sat on the shelf. No slope soaring near me.

motor - Blade 120 SR tail motor - http://www.horizonhobby.com/tail-boo...-120sr-blh3102

props - http://astroid-designs.myshopify.com...il-rotor-blade

-Al-
lowsave is offline Find More Posts by lowsave
Old Feb 15, 2015, 03:12 PM
Northern Cali
Joined Sep 2003
1,559 Posts
Hmmm....I like the direct drive motor idea. I have a second bird I could try it with. Thanks guys for sharing your mods. I have some quad-rotor motors and props I could experiment with.

Question? How do the props hold up during landings or do you catch it in the air?

~Shoe
Brown Shoe is offline Find More Posts by Brown Shoe
Old Feb 16, 2015, 09:18 AM
HG and RC
United States, NY, Colonie
Joined Feb 2014
14 Posts
Hi Shoe,
The little tail rotor props survive surprisingly well landing on grass. I just try to slow it down as much as I can. I have broken a couple in probably 100 landings. I like your mod too with the umx Radian drive and folding prop. ( I have a umx Radian also and in fact flew it yesterday in a small gym while it was 9 degrees with fresh snow and gale force wind outside.) I wish I could find a small folding prop for the ASK-21's direct drive motor but without a motor brake setting on the built in brushed esc, I'm not sure it would fold anyway. I tried this one from http://www.atomicworkshop.co.uk/cata...roducts_id=209
It fit right on the motor shaft but was way too much prop for the little direct drive motor. It heated up to very hot just holding the plane in my hand and running, so I never tried it in the air. Good luck with your setup!
-Al-
lowsave is offline Find More Posts by lowsave
Old Feb 16, 2015, 01:27 PM
Joined Jan 2007
120 Posts
I'll get my video posted tonight but the maiden went "ok".
I could give it a hard chuck towards the ceiling, and hold 100% throttle all the time, there was enough thrust to just eek out another turn before having to guide it back to my feet.

I'm going to see if a MSR-x tail rotor will press fit on this Nano Qx motor shaft. If so, we'll see if the larger prop disk yields a touch more thrust.

I have a UMX radian for long indoor flights, so this is just a fun experiment.
Thanks to the previous posters for sharing their ideas! :-)
Old Feb 18, 2015, 08:32 AM
Joined Jan 2007
120 Posts
Video of the ASk-21 with the Nano Qx motor/prop.
ask 21 with motor (0 min 59 sec)

Doe anyone know if the MSR-X tail rotor will press fit on the nano Qx shaft?
Maybe its 0.5mm diameter...? Not really sure, dang tiny!
Old Feb 19, 2015, 06:50 AM
Joined Apr 2013
957 Posts
Hey Monkey. I have a ASK-21 but I used two MSR-X tail motors as pushers on either side if the trailing edge of the wing. It works well. It requires full motor to get her up but she will get way up for periods of gliding before I have to add power again.

Your motor just does not have enough power for what your trying to do!

Just thought I put my two cents in here!

You've probably all ready seen this here but I thought I'd include a picture anyway.
Lots of ASK owners have done this mod and it works real well. I 'm glad I found this here as it made my ASK-21 fun!

jack
pjdog350 is offline Find More Posts by pjdog350