HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2015, 11:21 AM
Joined Apr 2012
5 Posts
Hello everybody,
I've been using a Turnigy 9xr (OpenTX) with a DJT modul and a D8R-II plus receiver. I've added a bluetooth module for displaying batterie and RSSI on my smart phone (FRSLogger).

Since a couple of weeks I bought a UNISENS-E sensor wich I want to build in my Sun3 electro glider. This sensor is supposed to give me all de nescessary data for flying. I had to move up to a X8R receiver because this sensor has a smart port interface.

Now I'm disappointed because my telemetry just doesn't work anymore.
I've been reading a lot of messages here but just can not figure it out: do I have to buy a XJT module? Will I stil be able to use my bluetooth module? Do I have to buy a taranis etc etc;

Just to be shure I did some logging on my 9XR with the djt module just to see what happens if I switch on the UNISENS on the X8R. I was surprised to see the result but don't know what to do with that.
Hereby I put a file with to log whitout the UNISENS(no_unisens.txt) every thing looks ok the serial port shows the frames for the AD1 port of the internal rx voltage of the X8R.
Then a logged the same thing but with the UNISENS switched on (with_unisens.txt) I'm surprised to see 7E FD frames wich are hub datas. The frames show 7E FD 04 XX 5E 10 20 20 20 20 7E wich would be hub/Altimeter data of 4 bytes (4 spaces).
I don't know what to think about this.
The unisens is getting dat through the smart port to the serial port of th DJT module!
Wher does it go wrong. The UNISENS FW the X8R FW the DJT FW the OPENTX or something else.

Does anybody know of a way to get the tlemetry of the UNISENS to my smart phone. It would be so much easier than to buy a taranis . fsky smart dashboard and so much less expensif.

Thanks you guys and girls for your help

Roel
cyberjunkie is offline Find More Posts by cyberjunkie
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2015, 11:26 AM
Happy FPV flyer
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Sep 2006
5,221 Posts
You already had an answer in the other thread you posted in, might not want to duplicate.
Kilrah is offline Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Feb 22, 2015, 03:30 PM
Joined Apr 2012
5 Posts
Hello Kilrah,
Thanks for your answer, I've just seen your answer on my other tread.
I understand what your saying. But why am I getting data on the serial port of the djt module. I re-did the test and with the module off I don't get any 7E FD frames.
So someting is been send by the unisense.
I like the unisens because it's so small and fits fine in my sun3.
Would it be possible to put back my D6R rx and hook a FVAS-02 to the data port and then hook the unisens to the FVAS-02 smart port? Or doesn't that work.

By the way I've posted here because I think this is more the place for my questions.
I would hate having to buy a taranis plus a smart dashboard. This would set me back for quit a lot of dollars. The most important thing for me is the power batterie volage and the variometer. Having my phone in my pocket giving me beeps to warn me is super. Having a screen hooked up to your transmitter isn't al that great while soaring. The Unisens has the extra of full power management and motor management. But these data I just don't need while flying. But it's great to log and take a look afterwards to see where I can improve on performance. My phone is already in my pocket just doing its thing and my transmitter stays light.

Thaks folks

Roel
Old Feb 22, 2015, 08:40 PM
Happy FPV flyer
Joined Sep 2006
5,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberjunkie View Post
I understand what your saying. But why am I getting data on the serial port of the djt module. I re-did the test and with the module off I don't get any 7E FD frames.
Hub data is 0x5E ID DATA DATA 0x5E.
What you see (5E 10 00 00 00 00) does not conform to that, 2 more bytes and no "closing" 0x5E. The first 2 bytes do seem like the start of an Altitude value, but the rest doesn't (and all I see in your log as DATA bytes is 00s, which couldn't happen if it was actually something sent by the sensor, it would vary a lot).

So something is there, but doesn't mean much. All I know as an OpenTX developer is that smart port -> D8 is not a supported operation mode.
An XJT will convert whatever data it receives from a D receiver in smart port format for the Taranis or Smart dashboard to display, but the reverse is not supported.

Quote:
Would it be possible to put back my D6R rx and hook a FVAS-02 to the data port and then hook the unisens to the FVAS-02 smart port? Or doesn't that work.
No again, the FVAS-02 will convert old data format to smart port but not the opposite.

Quote:
I would hate having to buy a taranis plus a smart dashboard.
With the Taranis you wouldn't need a smart dashboard.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 06:54 AM
Joined Apr 2012
5 Posts
Thanks a lot Kilrah,
This is helping me out quit a bit.
So to be on the clear side I just take a Taranis and I'm ok to have the data of the Unisens. I'm in to spending some buck for my hobby again. I explain to my wife that you advised me to do so

I'm still going to buy a xjt module for my 9xr. I have a arduino nano and a hc05 bluetooth board laying on my desk and I was looking for a project for those parts.
As soon as I have the XJT I'll log it to find out how the protocol looks like. I'll use the arduino nano and the hc05 to get the info to a smart phone. This might be nice for others.
Do you know if there is some information on the smart port protocol? It would make engineering a lot easier.

Thanks very much for all the information you gave

Roel
Old Feb 23, 2015, 07:33 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Joined Sep 2006
5,221 Posts
There's no published info about the smart port protocol, but the OpenTX source code is available for all to read.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 08:31 AM
Makers gonna make...
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah View Post
There's no published info about the smart port protocol, but the OpenTX source code is available for all to read.
You can get the full spec after joining the FrSky DevUnion
http://www.frsky-rc.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=125
pawelsky is offline Find More Posts by pawelsky
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:10 PM
Arducopter Developer
Joined Oct 2010
2,575 Posts
Can anybody explain how the FrSky fuel level sensor works? I'm actually looking at using it not with an FrSky telementy hub, but actually a Teensy3.1 acting as an I2C slave connected to Pixhawk/Arducopter. I'm making a system for gather gas engine parameters, RPM's, temperatures, fuel level, etc.

What is the output from the sensor itself? Is it a voltage? Or some kind of capacitive system? The Teensy 3.1 does have "touch" input, and I wonder if that's what's needed?
R_Lefebvre is online now Find More Posts by R_Lefebvre
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:25 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
16,195 Posts
The sensor itself is capacitive, but the output is a voltage, processed by the embedded IC.
The voltage values swing is between 0.9 and 1.3V, about 0.1V for each quarter.
These values are from memory, not remember exact values, you can easily test yourself.
They were stored in a corner of my knowledge base because the max/min values ratio is very close to the useful voltage range of a lipo cell, thus, with an appropriate divisor, the fuel input of hub can be used to monitor the receiver pack status in a graphical way
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Mar 03, 2015, 11:16 AM
Arducopter Developer
Joined Oct 2010
2,575 Posts
Very good, thanks! I'll order one and play from there.
R_Lefebvre is online now Find More Posts by R_Lefebvre
Old Mar 04, 2015, 01:36 PM
Joined Sep 2014
28 Posts
I discovered a Mod for Taranis X9D that allows the best of both worlds. Telemetry at the normal range AND 3x the range with LR12 rx AT THE SAME TIME. Just cut a trace and wire up an existing switch. 5 minute project. This allows you to disable the telemetry rx from transmitting remotely. Otherwise it will interfere with the LR12. I use the tiny X4R along with LR12. Now I can see my mAh remaining, battery voltage, amps, individual cell V, and altitude whenever I want, within a mile or 2, without sacrificing the extended range of the LR12. I can trim my elevator and throttle for level flight, and just keep right on going out to 5 miles plus. No need for RTH or APM if you're planning to stay less than 2 miles. With a simple capacitor you can view the RSSI of the LR12 to verify it is functioning as expected before you go for the extended range. This is better than a high powered Vtx in some respects if it interferes with your LR12, decreasing the range without 1m antenna separation. Not sure how useful this is for a multirotor, as my main battery range is only about a mile round trip. But it does allow you to launch from 2 miles away reliably, while you view and control the flight from a mountaintop. Then land RTH or autonomously. Or fly to where you are! This is a much different type of flying than being limited to 1/2 mile. It's perfect for long distance fixed wing flight. Want details?
SBright33 is offline Find More Posts by SBright33
Old Mar 04, 2015, 02:04 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
16,195 Posts
10 km is possible with a single D4R, using better antennas on both Tx and Rx, so why would I add a L9R ?
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Mar 04, 2015, 02:24 PM
Wexford, PA
Joined Mar 2001
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBright33 View Post
I discovered a Mod for Taranis X9D that allows the best of both worlds. Telemetry at the normal range AND 3x the range with LR12 rx AT THE SAME TIME. J
............rest of quoted post deleted
Please don't crosspost. You've spammed three threads with this same post. Not only is it annoying, it's against the rules.

Jim
Jim Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Jim Taylor
Old Mar 04, 2015, 02:28 PM
Joined Sep 2014
28 Posts
Sorry, I didn't know which thread was best until I found this one. Will go back and delete the others...
SBright33 is offline Find More Posts by SBright33