Find More Posts by Sir Dumb Thumb
Old Prop Buster
United States, CA, Grass Valley
Joined Dec 2009
843 Posts
Discussion
Keeping FPV out of Active Forest Fires

Greetings:
We in California have been experiencing a higher than usual forest fires this year. On our rural fires CDF and USFS use fixed wing and rotary wing aircraft to fight the fires by dropping retardant and water. We are having a problem with people using FPV aircraft to film the aircraft fighting the fire. Once the fire fighting aircraft are in the area it is automatically a closed airspace (FAA Regs). Well that does not stop some people who are ignorant or don't care. You may have seen some of this on national news, but it is also being reported by local California news. This is happening a lot in California, much more than being reported on the national news.
http://www.redding.com/news/local-ne...over-wildfires
It happened last year in my community in Nevada County and CDF pulled their planes out of the fight till they were satisfied that the airspace was clear. I am just trying to keep this issue in the forefront and hopefully reach a person of two that think this could be an okay activity. California has a history of finding real dumb solutions to problems that ruins it for everyone. I can assure you that if this continues the state will pass some stupid law. We had a anti drone countywide initiative that got nixed by the courts last year, so there is a anti FPV faction in my community. This law as first proposed would have affected all radio control aircraft, not just FPV. What can we do about this, if anything? My best guess is that a good portion of these pilots are using FPV to fly over the fire. Granted some these could be line of sight, hard to tell. My goal is reach the FPV portion. It is hard to image getting close enough with line of sight, but maybe.
Gary
Sir Dumb Thumb is online now Find More Posts by Sir Dumb Thumb
Last edited by Sir Dumb Thumb; Today at 12:11 PM. Reason: Correction
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 11:17 AM
Find More Posts by Made in Austria
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2013
1,327 Posts
Well it shows that idiots don't comply with rules and laws. Only law abiding people with common sense who wouldn't do something that stupid anyway comply. Only a arrest on the spot followed by a reckless endangerment charge will make them listen up. More laws and restrictions won't do anything as it would only hurt people with common sense who follow existing rules, laws, and restrictions. But try explaining that to the ones who think that only the government with pressing more laws onto us can make things better and safer. The problem is that the RC aircraft community is relatively small, too small to fight back. Unlike the firearm community. The media can spread lies about our hobby all day without getting any fire from us. People who are not into the RC hobby of course believe them. But, we are pretty lucky here in the US. Look at other tyranny countries where a "drone" is a luxury idem where one has to register a drone and to pay fees and taxes for it. Others allow you to fly them only at RC fields. Safety is not their main concern at all. It's about control and making a buck off you.
Made in Austria is online now Find More Posts by Made in Austria
Last edited by Made in Austria; Today at 12:43 PM.
Old Today, 12:16 PM
Find More Posts by Sir Dumb Thumb
Old Prop Buster
United States, CA, Grass Valley
Joined Dec 2009
843 Posts
I agree that more laws will not help, since it is already illegal. But being a life long California resident that has never stopped our state legislators from passing laws to fix something. It usually results in a one size fits all law that punishes all for a few meatheads and has a hefty fine to extract money.
Sir Dumb Thumb is online now Find More Posts by Sir Dumb Thumb