New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2015, 11:25 AM
Find More Posts by Andynrose
United Kingdom, Salisbury
Joined Feb 2013
204 Posts
Build Log
BLEJZYK HARPIA 3.1 m

Following on from the mefisto, i decided to go with another Blejzyk model. it was a close thing - almost went for the Hammer (a 2.4 m f3f style), but this time I went for the Harpia. Very good service from Rob at flying dog, again, and this is a 3.1 m v tail version. The box arrived safely and contents inspected - a few photos attached. The wings are excellent - as per the mefisto. The wing comes in four pieces, and will be in three sections once built. wing root is 240 mm, and tip 130 mm. Airfoil is S7012The tips are similar to the mefisto style.

Its similar to the Mefisto except the wing joiner is steel, and much larger span!

Mefisto link is here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2244752
Andynrose is offline Find More Posts by Andynrose
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2015, 12:02 PM
Find More Posts by Douwe
United States, CA, Redwood City
Joined Nov 2006
565 Posts
Douwe is offline Find More Posts by Douwe
Old Feb 22, 2015, 01:00 PM
Find More Posts by Tspin
Bernoulli was only guessing.
United States, CA, Scotts Valley
Joined Dec 2007
305 Posts
I'm starting to not like you guys
Tspin is offline Find More Posts by Tspin
Old Feb 24, 2015, 07:08 AM
Joined Feb 2013
204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tspin View Post
I'm starting to not like you guys
Hi you just need to a buy one from their range and enjoy!
Old Feb 24, 2015, 08:00 AM
Find More Posts by Tspin
Bernoulli was only guessing.
United States, CA, Scotts Valley
Joined Dec 2007
305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andynrose View Post
Hi you just need to a buy one from their range and enjoy!
Iím just jealous, I have 2 Blejzyk kits. A First Plus 2 meter and a Faun 1.5 meter.

I need to free up some time and start building
Tspin is offline Find More Posts by Tspin
Old Feb 24, 2015, 11:52 AM
Find More Posts by mammuth
WWII combat fan
Huddersfield
Joined Jul 2008
191 Posts
Is it done yet ?
mammuth is offline Find More Posts by mammuth
Old Feb 24, 2015, 01:57 PM
Joined Feb 2013
204 Posts
Hey, there are some things you just cant rush.....
Im trying to finish off my winter project as well, but getting to the 80:20 rule.

Having said that I have made some progress.....as with the mefisto the throws on the flaps needed some work with careful sanding as in the box they come a little tight. The flaps now travel at about 60 degrees down which looking down through the sub trailing edge is probably all you can get from them as the flap control surface rotates back into the gap. I will take a photo later. The ailerons were fine out of the box.

The second thing for the wing preparation was removing foam and epoxying in the hardwood blocks which take the auxillary wing joiner/alignment carbon rods. (using epoxy/balloon mix). Downside to a four piece wing........

The centre panel is made of two sections. This has two hardwood blocks which fit into both halves where the wing retaining bolts (2 No) go, along with a steel wing joiner. ive made the recesses and trial fitted in the dry.

Thats it so far..you made need bigger bags of popcorn/crisps....

I will take a few photos and post more..

This particular model does not have instructions, but is similar to mefisto and you can get the general gist of other elements from the hammer manual on their website.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 04:43 PM
WWII combat fan
Huddersfield
Joined Jul 2008
191 Posts
Yes not good to rush - that usually bites back ....
Are you definitely going for oracover ?
Pattern on the wings looks beautifull.
You could post a picture so I can have a one more look at the wings aligned
And no worries - lots of snacks around
Old Feb 26, 2015, 01:02 AM
Joined Feb 2013
204 Posts
a couple of photos of the wings out of the box - unfortunately under house lighting so not the best.

Never really thought about not covering - but i can see the attraction! If it were finished as is would the visibility be a problem - i would imagine a "beige" colour to be a little indistinct.

Flap travel - part the way through easing. Im aiming for a similar angle to that i have on my mefisto where flaps work well (although that is lighter than this one!).

Test fitted the centre panels - it was a bit late last night but there did not seem to be much dihedral, which is fine, but a little different than the drawing (~60mm. i will check more carefully and post.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 08:18 AM
Find More Posts by Douwe
United States, CA, Redwood City
Joined Nov 2006
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andynrose View Post
Never really thought about not covering - but i can see the attraction! If it were finished as is would the visibility be a problem - i would imagine a "beige" colour to be a little indistinct.
IMHO the only way to finish the Blejzyk planes is with a clear finish. I use a very light coat of penetrating epoxy sealer followed by a light coat of clear acrylic. The wood really pops and it really is more like an orange than beige. Anyway almost all planes, at more than 100 ft, are just a dark silhouette anyway. Here is my Mefisto and I am doing my first + the same: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=172
Douwe is offline Find More Posts by Douwe
Old Feb 26, 2015, 08:44 AM
WWII combat fan
Huddersfield
Joined Jul 2008
191 Posts
It looks good Douwe - we've started Vampire build and trying to decide on finish for the wings - thanks for sharing .
Old Feb 26, 2015, 05:30 PM
Find More Posts by Mike_
Random slope flyer
United Kingdom, Scotland, Currie
Joined Feb 2013
260 Posts
Following

Mike (who just found a forgotten 2.2m Blejzyk IGI kit in attic )
Mike_ is offline Find More Posts by Mike_
Old Feb 26, 2015, 07:56 PM
WWII combat fan
Huddersfield
Joined Jul 2008
191 Posts
Igi is so quick to build - ger it done !
Old Feb 27, 2015, 01:41 PM
Joined Feb 2013
204 Posts
centre panel join.

the two central panels are to be epoxied together. There are two wing bolt hardwood blocks that sit 50% in each panel, and a steel wing joiner. Im ok with the hardwood blocks - dry fit, then glue in one side first. For the wing joiner - any advise? As you can see from the photo there is a loose fit, so lots of epoxy needed. I was thinking of making a tight fit one side by having carbon strips either side of the steel; then put enough epoxy in to get the joiner in the right position on the other side, let cure, then infill the void with epoxy. when the wings are joined just need less epoxy with a joiner and carbon strip, with greater certainty of getting a good contact. I have some concern about getting enough epoxy in if the carbon strip is not added.

The other thing im looking for comments on is the dihedral. The plan shows 60 mm each side for a 2.8m harpia. The centre panels are 700mm, so expecting to get 60 mm when one panel is flush to table. When laying the centre panels on the table i get about 6 mm dihedral. Should I work the roots to get sufficient dihedral? If the wings are laid on the top surface they are just about flat, and the dihedral is essentially through thinning of the airfoil section.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 03:45 PM
Joined Feb 2013
204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mammuth View Post
It looks good Douwe - we've started Vampire build and trying to decide on finish for the wings - thanks for sharing .
Douwe they look good. Something to think about. If I go this route I will need some stripes on the underside