New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by dbeach, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 04:15 PM
Find More Posts by dbeach
Amherst, NH
Joined Apr 2005
432 Posts
Discussion
ALES League News - 2015

With two feet of snow outside and a little more expected overnight, it seemed like a good day to post the scores of those who get to compete while others only dream about it.

The 2015 ALES League season has begun!

Elliot Bowl ALES - http://www.ales.org/ContestResults.aspx?contestid=256

TCMAA Jan 2015 - http://www.ales.org/ContestResults.aspx?contestid=257

This year's competition should be fun to watch under the new league rules. The 'body count' bonus has been reduced by 1/10 so consistent top performance (even in smaller contests) will be recognized.

You can continue to submit scores using the old spreadsheets, but the new scoring spreadsheet is available at http://www.ales.org/DesktopModules/L...leaguesub.xlsx

I've also attached it in zip form to this post for convenience.

David

P.S. - new sticky requests are appreciated. I'm closing the 2014 thread now.
dbeach is offline Find More Posts by dbeach
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2015, 04:22 PM
Find More Posts by benskoning
United States, WI, Oshkosh
Joined Feb 2013
243 Posts
subscribed.
benskoning is online now Find More Posts by benskoning
Old Jan 27, 2015, 07:06 PM
Find More Posts by Soarkraut
soarkraut
United States, DE, Ocean View
Joined Nov 2004
204 Posts
Hope all you guys stay safe up there in new England.
Thanks for your effort on behalf of the ALES community, Dave.
Looking forward to the new season..............How many days till spring??
Pete
Soarkraut is online now Find More Posts by Soarkraut
Old Feb 01, 2015, 10:49 PM
Find More Posts by Luckyducky
AMA 179
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Dec 2007
113 Posts
Are there any ALES events scheduled for SoCal?
Luckyducky is offline Find More Posts by Luckyducky
Old Feb 02, 2015, 09:22 AM
soarkraut
Joined Nov 2004
204 Posts
AMA ALES rules

been wondering about item 7 under general requirements :

7. Any device, other than the approved Altitude
Limiter Switch, which is carried in or on the
model and which enables total or partial
independent control over the model, is
prohibited

is there a list of approved switches ?? is the ALTIS approved ? where does it state this in writing ?
I am asking because I now have a ALTIS........can I keep it in the model for ALES ?

Pete
Old Feb 02, 2015, 10:10 AM
Find More Posts by FredM
powered by caffine
Akron, New York
Joined May 2004
1,013 Posts
The Altis is fine for ALES
FredM is offline Find More Posts by FredM
Old Feb 02, 2015, 10:28 AM
soarkraut
Joined Nov 2004
204 Posts
hearsay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredM View Post
The Altis is fine for ALES
I have been told this...........but, who can show me the official version ??

Pete
Old Feb 02, 2015, 10:35 AM
Find More Posts by RotorCycle
Thermals the path to elevation
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jul 2004
3,390 Posts
Yes - we have a dozen or so pilots that use the Altis V4 for the monthly ALES and F5J contests. Just load the regular v1.8 firmware (not F5J). Using the following settings, you only need to adjust your altitude switch setting for the height you want the motor to cut.

Competition tab:

> F5J FAI enabled. This turns on the F5J max height display. Not checking this will result in a "---.-" meter display.

> Time switch enabled - set to 30-seconds.

> Emergency Motor ON - ENABLED! Or else you cannot power up to save plane.

> Altitude switch - recommend enabling this to 200-meters if new to F5J. Remember, there's a .5 point deduction per meter for launch altitudes up to 200-meters, then it jumps to 3-points per meter! Someone landing much earlier and launching lower can win the round. You can leave this blank and cut when you feel comfortable, but having an upper limit takes away the guess work.

Screen tab:

> Select F5J Number screen. This will display F5J height full screen making it easy to read. When each pilot lands, their timer must record the F5J height.

> Setting Screen Duration 5-seconds (or so). This displays your settings for 5-seconds after power-up so you can verify your motor run time, launch height setting, and if emergency restart is on. Important stuff.

For your ALES events just set your altitude switch for the height called for by the CD, and you're done. If you have 200-meter ALES events, the controller is ready to go for both contests with no changes.
RotorCycle is offline Find More Posts by RotorCycle
Old Feb 02, 2015, 11:02 AM
soarkraut
Joined Nov 2004
204 Posts
Ok, I give up ( hands in air)
Old Feb 02, 2015, 11:09 AM
Joined Jul 2004
3,390 Posts
Feel free to look, but you won't find a phrase that says "Altis OK" or "Only CAMs allowed". The rules state an altitude switch, and the final call is up to the CD to determine if an altitude switch is functioning according to the rules. The rules for ALES would be the 30-second cut-off and an altitude cut-off.

I have (1) pilot that uses a brand other than Altis for combined ALES and F5J use, and it complies with the rules. We made a concerted effort to use Altis, since we can support all the Altis users at the ALES and F5J events. I normally have a handful of pilots that need to change a setting or verify settings. So I have both the Altis keyboard for standalone use, along with a USB cable and PC application available for programming.

It's also very interesting to check the captured Altis altitude setting at ALES events. Many pilots have no idea how much of a zoom they obtain with little or no effort. We find 10-15 meters is quite normal. The Altis teaches ALES pilots to minimize energy at launch top, and actually push level to stay complaint with no ALES zooming. So it that regard, an Altis is better than a CAM for ALES.
Last edited by RotorCycle; Feb 02, 2015 at 11:14 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2015, 11:20 AM
soarkraut
Joined Nov 2004
204 Posts
zoooom

It's also very interesting to check the captured Altis altitude setting at ALES events. Many pilots have no idea how much of a zoom they obtain with little or no effort. We find 10-15 meters is quite normal. The Altis teaches ALES pilots to minimize energy at launch top, and actually push level to stay complaint with no ALES zooming. So it that regard, an Altis is better than a CAM for ALES.[/QUOTE]
Interesting...........
So , if you are in a rising thermal, when you cut off.........do you have to come back down to meet the "no zoom"requirements.........(tongue in cheek)
Old Feb 02, 2015, 11:31 AM
Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,890 Posts
how about I climb to about a thousand feet in 25 seconds, stall, dive straight down at about 130 miles per hour for 8 seconds, till I reach 100 feet... level out for the last 2 seconds, and then zoom back up another hundred feet or so.

easy peasy.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Feb 02, 2015, 11:36 AM
Joined Jul 2004
3,390 Posts
^^^ Without telemetry you could never do this (not legal), not to mention the altitude switch will cut-off at the desired altitude ^^^

In F5J the rise due to thermal or inertia energy is captured in the launch height display and launch zoom algorithm (highest point in flight 10-seconds after motor cut-off). So this hurts you in F5J with more launch height deduction points unless you recognize this and push level.

In ALES it's sportsmanship. You try to do what is legal, but at times it's difficult to tell. But I have seen pilot's gain 40-50 meters on an intended zoom, and as a CD you need to call it. The rules state a 10% guideline , so if a pilot zooms over 15-meters at a 150-meter launch event that's excessive. With an Altis you can check a pilot you think 'might' be zooming.

Here's the rules for your reading pleasure:

(X).2 Altitude Limiters
All models must be fitted with an Altitude Limiter Switch (ALS) that will shut off the motor when it reaches the designated altitude above the ground. This device must also shut off the motor 30 seconds after launch if the designated altitude has not yet been reached.

1. The ALS must not be enclosed in any material other than that recommended by the manufacturer. It may not be positioned in any part of the model which could result in distortion of actual air pressure variations (e.g. – near forward facing air scoops or venting ports).

2. Models must include sufficient static venting to ensure that outside pressure is duplicated inside the model at the ALS location. In the event of a launch exceeding 10% of the designated launch altitude due to insufficient venting, the Contest Director may assign a score of zero to the violator for that round.

3. The Electronic Speed Control must always operate via its series connection to the ALS and not with direct connection to the receiver.

4. The connectors linking the ALS to the receiver shall be readily accessible so that a check altimeter with appropriate interconnection can be installed on demand by the Contest Director. Such check altimeter will serve to verify Start Height while retaining the normal operation of the competitor’s own installation.

5. 'Zooming' is defined as using kinetic energy (speed) stored in the plane during the launch to exceed the designated launch height by more than 10%. Zooming will be considered in violation of the intent of the altitude limiter rule and the Contest Director may assign a score of zero to the violator for that round.

6. Any attempt to subvert the intent of this Altitude Limiter rule set is grounds for disqualification from the event as unsportsmanlike conduct.
Old Feb 02, 2015, 11:42 AM
Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,890 Posts
I posted in the wrong thread. I thought I was posting in the f5j altitude device thread... But I'll leave it up there since you responded to it, otherwise I would delete it and say opps.
sorry.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Feb 02, 2015, 12:14 PM
soarkraut
Joined Nov 2004
204 Posts
yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Sharp View Post
how about I climb to about a thousand feet in 25 seconds, stall, dive straight down at about 130 miles per hour for 8 seconds, till I reach 100 feet... level out for the last 2 seconds, and then zoom back up another hundred feet or so.

easy peasy.
Yea......its a rule that should not be.........who can judge if I leveled off at 200 or 230.
If you have 10 launching spots, then you need 10 calibrated eyes to watch each plane.
Just lower the cut-off point, if you feel the launches are to high.

nothing is fair in winch launch.........zoom is your option. In good air I can zoom like a champ.....
not so much in down air. There are flyers that always winch launch higher than I do.......now these are the guys we need to coral You know who you are ( Mike)