Cool Doug, it looks better in person!!!
MICKEL is offline Find More Posts by MICKEL
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2015, 02:57 PM
Find More Posts by immelman50
United States, MN, Hubbard
Joined Jan 2004
255 Posts
Congratulations Doug, It really does look great.

I earlier wrote and posted pictures of my electric Calypso inspired by your thread. It was kind of a quick rough test bed of the concept for me.

Last summer I finished a Summit III using the same basic power set up as your Conquest IV. It's a nice one to convert to electric because the fiberglass fuselage already has a removable canopy that serves well as access to the battery and a pipe tunnel that is a great cooling duct for the esc. It weighs 8 lbs 7 ounces ready to fly. My painting skills aren't great and it doesn't come close to the appearance of yours, but I like it.

The Summit flies great, though I think I need better and higher C range batteries. I'll take care of that this winter.

I know I will get static for it being a tail dragger, but I saw several when I used to fly competitively "back in the day" set up that way. It makes the conversion easier and I fly almost exclusively off fairly rough grass.

Anyway I just thought you might like to know of another electric classic inspired by your thread. Thanks for all the great information!

Chuck
immelman50 is offline Find More Posts by immelman50
Old Jan 14, 2015, 01:34 AM
Find More Posts by Fatherof4
Raised on 80's Pattern
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Joined May 2006
1,402 Posts
Chuck,

That is AWESOME!! Thanks for posting the picture. I am so glad that my C4e gave you motivation. I am very jealous as I have always had a thing for Summit III's and I would KILL to be at 8.5 lbs rtf.

The finish looks great. I could never paint a plane that well. I am just lucky to have been friends with Kevin for the past 35 years!

No problem with the tail dragger here. Many Summit III's were built that way back in the day. I am partial to trikes but your plane looks great sitting on its tail.

Please feel free to post video it you get any.

Doug
Fatherof4 is offline Find More Posts by Fatherof4
Old Jan 15, 2015, 08:43 PM
Find More Posts by immelman50
United States, MN, Hubbard
Joined Jan 2004
255 Posts
Thank for the kind words.

Any video will have to wait until April or May. That's when things warm up and dry out enough to fly here in the frozen tundra of northern Minnesota! So I am jealous , too... of your long flying season.

Chuck
immelman50 is offline Find More Posts by immelman50