HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2010, 08:41 AM
Joined Feb 2010
4 Posts
Hey guys- new to the forum here. Bought a trojan for my second plane, and I have to say what a fun plane to fly. I can see flying becoming more addictive than rc cars! With about a donzen flights on the t-28 I am feeling pretty confident with this plane although I had a minor mishap with a light pole on final. The one complaint I do have with this plane and other electric warbirds in general is the material used in making the cowling. Why so brittle? If the cowling was made out of my tmaxx body lexan, I would never have to replace. I don't know how many times I've landed that 12+ lb. truck on its lid with only scratches to show for it.

I am really looking forward to some of the mods that are posted here. What a wealth of information, and from what I can see, a pretty good group of guys! I'm gonna try swingin a 10 x 10e apc prop today and see what happens.
Traun is offline Find More Posts by Traun
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2010, 08:42 AM
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Nov 2009
982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
Hey guys,
After getting snow dumped on me for the past few days, I decided to do some more aerial videography with my T-28. This time I went to the Red Hook baseball field, in Brooklyn. I was going for some really high altitude panoramas, but found that at these heights it is very difficult to maintain orientation. This is my way of saying it's not the smoothest flying I've ever done.

Enjoy !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrkgc-kideU
great video -
SMCLEODVT is offline Find More Posts by SMCLEODVT
Old Feb 28, 2010, 12:09 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Dec 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traun View Post
Why so brittle? If the cowling was made out of my tmaxx body lexan, I would never have to replace. I don't know how many times I've landed that 12+ lb. truck on its lid with only scratches to show for it.
I have been wondering the same thing since the first time I had to replace mine...
PilotPete01 is offline Find More Posts by PilotPete01
Old Feb 28, 2010, 12:18 PM
Alberta
Joined Mar 2009
18 Posts
Gotta love trike gear,wow.
Light Aircraft Lands on Car (0 min 52 sec)
tre33 is offline Find More Posts by tre33
Old Feb 28, 2010, 12:21 PM
Joined Dec 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmet6 View Post
Hi guys,

I recently got the T-28 Trojan PNP, and I was wondering if this battery will work for it?
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=8932#

Hey Varmet6,
As someone already indicated, they will work. However, I would recommend spending a couple extra bucks and getting a higher "c" rating. I have the 25C version of the same battery and a friend of mine has some 35C ones. We both have the same, stock set up in our planes and his will fly circles around me. It is a very noticeable performance gain for only a couple dollars per battery. It is almost a requirement if you are ever going to put a bigger motor in. The 20C version will have a discharge of 44 amps whereas the 25C will come in at 55 amps and 30C at 66 amps.

Just something to think about....
Old Feb 28, 2010, 01:14 PM
RC = FUN
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Joined Aug 2008
3,636 Posts
Alright you guys... I'll probably get a lot of crap about this but I know RObJ has the answer. I need the link to that motor that is very similiar in size and is a little more effecient. I am going to put it in a Radian, and want something that's a little more effecient. I know this has been said 100 times, but I forgot the name and specs of it to search it. Thanks so much, -Tyler
flyboy321 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy321
Old Feb 28, 2010, 02:32 PM
Z-8
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2010
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tre33 View Post
Nice video. I guess they didn't think about the prop needing to land about 2 feet behind the windshield.
Z-8 is offline Find More Posts by Z-8
Old Feb 28, 2010, 04:08 PM
Oh you pull BACK on the stick?
Bloomington, IN
Joined Feb 2010
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotPete01 View Post
Hey Varmet6,
As someone already indicated, they will work. However, I would recommend spending a couple extra bucks and getting a higher "c" rating. I have the 25C version of the same battery and a friend of mine has some 35C ones. We both have the same, stock set up in our planes and his will fly circles around me. It is a very noticeable performance gain for only a couple dollars per battery. It is almost a requirement if you are ever going to put a bigger motor in. The 20C version will have a discharge of 44 amps whereas the 25C will come in at 55 amps and 30C at 66 amps.

Just something to think about....
Ok, where can I find that?
and it'll work with the stock set up like yours?

Is this it?
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s..._25C_Lipo_Pack
Varmet6 is offline Find More Posts by Varmet6
Old Feb 28, 2010, 04:53 PM
Z-8
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2010
770 Posts
Super Tigre ST .10 as a drop-in upgrade for the T-28

Here are the stats for the Super Tigre ST .10:

Good News: This little $24 motor safely gives the T-28 greater than a 1:1 Thrust to Weight ratio using the stock ESC.
Bad News: It's easy to generate unsafe numbers with aggressive props and batteries.
Great News: The safest prop is one of the best overall performers.

This little motor also takes weight off the end of the seesaw, making the airplane better balanced during maneuvering. It makes the T-28 so fast that I tore left elevator off using the stock battery and prop, so you should tape the hinges and reinforce the elevator where it passes through the rudder.

Stock motor stats here.
Last edited by Z-8; Mar 01, 2010 at 07:32 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 05:09 PM
Joined Dec 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
Ok, where can I find that?
and it'll work with the stock set up like yours?

Is this it?
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s..._25C_Lipo_Pack
Those are the same ones I purchased, they work great. I bought three of them but am going to order some more soon.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 06:00 PM
Joined Oct 2006
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIXXIN2FLY View Post
I can answer that for ya, set it aside, sell it, give it away, but for goodness sakes, unless that is going to be your only plane, buy a nice 6i or something.
Thats just the thing, i was looking to pickup another stock tx/rx since mine glitches and i cant fly the plane with it
ATK_Staind is offline Find More Posts by ATK_Staind
Old Feb 28, 2010, 07:01 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
United States, NY, Alfred
Joined Apr 2009
7,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATK_Staind View Post
Thats just the thing, i was looking to pickup another stock tx/rx since mine glitches and i cant fly the plane with it
They all glitch, bro. All the stock ones anyway.

Invest in the DX6i, or a DX7, or the new Hitec Aurora looks very nice. If you plan to have even just three planes (like me) it is worth every penny. Since converting to my DX6i with 2.4ghz, I have had 0 radio problems.

It's an investment, but it will pay for itself with usability very quickly.
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Feb 28, 2010, 09:43 PM
Oh you pull BACK on the stick?
Bloomington, IN
Joined Feb 2010
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotPete01 View Post
Those are the same ones I purchased, they work great. I bought three of them but am going to order some more soon.

Ok, and this will work with the full stock setup?
Varmet6 is offline Find More Posts by Varmet6
Old Feb 28, 2010, 11:27 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
United States, NY, Alfred
Joined Apr 2009
7,704 Posts
Quote:
Ok, and this will work with the full stock setup?
I bought some of those recently and flew my stock Trojan with them today.

The only thing you will have to change is the connectors on the battery. Assuming your T-28 and ESC are completely stock, it uses blue EC3 connectors. You will need to lop off whatever funky connector HK gives you on the battery and solder on a "battery side" EC3.

Hobby King actually sells EC3s in packs of ten for $6. I haven't been able to find them anywhere else (10 packs) and everywhere stateside you get two for $3. You do the math.
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Mar 01, 2010, 11:23 AM
Z-8
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2010
770 Posts
First impressions: T-28 with optimal engine-prop-battery

After the test results, above, I flew the T-28 with a 10 x 6 prop and NRG 35C battery and the ST .10 for the first time today. Amazing performance! Even with the stock battery, this is a fantastic low cost upgrade well within the capability of the stock ESC.

Short take off, pure vertical, giant loops, snowmen, Lomcovaks, multiple aileron rolls, impressive speed and especially acceleration. You have straight up go-around capability from painted corners. I tried to estimate the "original power" throttle setting, the 60% marker will do a couple loops in a row from level.

Less tangible flight impressions:

The plane is better balanced for aerobatics with a lighter nose. It flys better all around, and has less tendency to slide off during slow pattern turns. No need for down-trim at high power settings, the engine pulls harder on the mount's down vector. Full throttle trim is basically the same as best glide trim, making the T-28 an even easier trainer.

I think this is a GREAT engine for the T-28--more balanced maneuvering, can use the stock ESC, and it'll peal the paint off. I can't even believe it's a $24 upgrade.

Highly recommended.