SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:03 AM
United Kingdom, England, Dorset
Joined Sep 2011
203 Posts
Discussion
Scratch built Spitfire

This is my 2nd build of a spit using freebuild plans from flitetest,com i didnt go for the removable powerpod. I double skinned the whole fuse instead for better strength and durability and kept all electrics permanently installed. Weight without batt should be 14.9oz, mine came out at 1lb 8.5oz probably because of double skin. Having said that she flies very well, let go of the stick and she stays right on track where you left her. Power is supplied by 2200kv dys motor, 2200mah 3s batt and 30amp esc 7x4 E prop. I used 3x9gm servos as i find i dont use rudder at all (not into knife edge yet). Plane made from 5mm posterboard from Hobbycraft 2xA1 sheets is enough and at 4 a sheet thats cheaper than epp. The folded wing construction is amazingly strong and also gives aerofoil profile, a brilliant design. Have flown 10min flights and landed with power still in battery. Stall speed is a little high but flies comfortably at half throttle, full thottle gives vertical climb! Needs a little thottle when landing so you cant float her in. In the air she looks great and flies and manouvres like a real spitfire.Havent flown her since the paint job so cant wait to get her airborne again, but weather is not looking hopeful in the U.K for a while.See pics.

22/10/2014
p.s Just been out today in slightly windy conditions and being 1lb 10oz all up weight she handled the wind o.k. Flying into the wind i could slow her down till she almost hovered which made landing a breeze (excuse the pun).

Tip: I find the best way is to print out the tiled plans and glue to the posterboard with pva, when dry cutting through the lines is much easier than trying to cut round a paper profile. Glue the plans on the posterboard with excess paper around the outlines then you can cut through the actual lines accurately.
brianvc is offline Find More Posts by brianvc
Last edited by brianvc; Oct 22, 2014 at 10:16 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2014, 09:53 AM
Bipes Rule!
United States, LA, Pearl River
Joined Feb 2006
348 Posts
Very nice work I like it! I have had one printed for 3 years still in the to do pile
RM
RITTMEISTER is offline Find More Posts by RITTMEISTER
Old Oct 25, 2014, 01:50 PM
Joined Sep 2011
203 Posts
scratch spit

Quote:
Originally Posted by RITTMEISTER View Post
Very nice work I like it! I have had one printed for 3 years still in the to do pile
RM
Hi, are your plans from flitetest as their plans have a post date of May 2013.
If they're not i can recommend the flitetest plan as it worked like a dream for me.
I'm not usually a fan of posterboard (a bit fragile) but double skinning the fuse made it much stronger and their single skin wing construction is very strong, so no need to strengthen that. I shall be using posterboard in future with strengthening where necessary as epp is rather expensive, it cost 8 just for the courier delivery alone!
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:00 PM
Bipes Rule!
United States, LA, Pearl River
Joined Feb 2006
348 Posts
Spitfire

No my plans are different. Can you post the link here for the ones you used? Thanks and very nice job again!!!!!
RM
RITTMEISTER is offline Find More Posts by RITTMEISTER
Old Oct 29, 2014, 02:52 AM
Joined Sep 2011
203 Posts
re flitetest spitfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RITTMEISTER View Post
No my plans are different. Can you post the link here for the ones you used? Thanks and very nice job again!!!!!
RM
http://www.flitetest.com/articles/ft-spitfire-build
Hi, the link above will take you to the build video with full plan and tiled plans link within the text below. I found the fuse to be a bit fragile in single skin so i suggest you make it double skinned (thats what i did) and not bother with their swappable powerpod. The wing on the other hand is very strong so make it as they direct, the only mod i did on that was to put 2 x 3mm short ply spars across their foam joining spars. Whole thing goes together with hot glue and builds quickly. Paste the plans onto the board with pva, then when dry you can cut thru the lines rather than around them.
Enjoy, bvc.