HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2014, 10:42 PM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
How are you measuring your launch height?
It is a combo switch/altitude logger. It's an early unit from when this concept first was invented. Apparently flicking the throttle on and off after power up disabled the switch in the early firmware version. Not having actually used it in a contest until that first contest i attended in may I didn't know that.

Ryan
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2014, 11:56 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,119 Posts
You are right Ed. Poor choice of words.

I was just curious if anyone else, had found out they were overshooting the altitude and did what Don suggested to adjust it. Not really even care if it happened in a contest or not.

Just curious if:

1. this discussion got guys to think about if their setup was in compliance
2. if they found out they were overshooting the mark
3. and if they took the time to adjust.

Frank
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Sep 26, 2014, 04:16 PM
Little Red Plane
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Dec 2012
586 Posts
I use the Altis4 limiter. Don Harban has researched all of the limiters available and I took his advice when I looked to purchase a limiter. I really like the ease that it can be programed and really like the altimeter logging feature.
I have tested my limiter in three different airplanes. The first is my "Little Red Plane" With it's power combination my altitude is right around 210 to 212 meters, no matter how I launch it. In another plane my altitude is consistently between 200 to 210 meters.
With my AVA I was concerned since it will reach the cutoff in 10-12 seconds and looked like it was zooming quite a bit after the motor cut off. It can be a handful when launching. I have looked at over 50 launches and the highest altitude after 10 seconds was 219 meters, so I do not feel that I am overshooting the mark. All of my launched are within the 10% variance.
With my AVA I did reduce the diameter and pitch of the prop, it now takes about 18 seconds to hit the cutoff altitude, but it is less of a rocket when launching.
I do think that it is like Don earlier stated, it is all about the launch technique, but once the motor cuts off how much energy have you built up? Enough to zoom over 20 meters?
GarryOgilvie is offline Find More Posts by GarryOgilvie
Old Sep 26, 2014, 04:23 PM
agnotology
Joined Jan 2007
3,678 Posts
My Onyx with it's HK motor will easily zoom 20 to 25m. When I flew the British postal series last winter with their cut-off height of 175m, I left my Altis 4 set at it's usual 150m. All my launches were 170 to 174m max recorded on the Altis.

The zoom is pretty predictable on most e-gliders, so it isn't hard to compensate for. Fast gliders are likely to zoom more, regardless of their climb rate. I usually use the full 30 seconds of motor run time to explore as much sky as I can, and sometimes the glider speed can get quite high if I don't throttle back enough. The high speed gives me the biggest zoom, opposed to a high climb rate.

Kevin
kcaldwel is offline Find More Posts by kcaldwel