HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 07, 2013, 06:16 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,481 Posts
Well this is it.... The sheeting comes mid width on the spars for addtion of capstrips and I'll bring it around on the angled rib to the rear. The rear inside brace top and bottom are below the covering line so they won't be seen. I cut out the rectangular hole for the LG block and the leading edge matches the sheeting angle top and bottom but I have no painters tape which is my method for attaching it so that will be tomorrow.

Thanks.. I don't feel a day over 51!
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2013, 09:14 AM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,481 Posts
Wetted and bent a piece of wing sheeting lengthwise last night being sure it was vertical on 4 stacked gallon paint cans using rubber bands. Ones without the lips top and bottom so no high points. Came out well. Just a tad to much curvature but that's fine.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 10:13 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,481 Posts
Time was taken up a bit but things calmed down some...
I added the top sheeting tonight and will let sit overnight. Added a balsa strip on last rib to support the wingtip sheeting.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 12:38 AM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,481 Posts
Put the wetted bottom sheet in the "bender" before bed. Cutout is for the LG block.
Last edited by Thermalin; Jul 12, 2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 10:50 AM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,481 Posts
Added the bottom sheet and it's TE piece... should dry by mid afternoon and I'll continue...

I got waaaay ahead but I cut out the bottom of a pant and drew up a first thought. Don't think I like all curves or maybe just make them much smaller.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 06:50 PM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,358 Posts
Those curves definitely make it look contrived.
loNslo is online now Find More Posts by loNslo
Old Jul 13, 2013, 07:10 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,481 Posts
Not sure exactly what you are meaning in this case? It is obvious and planned... I'm just not sure I like the amount...

One panel is now done with all sheeting and capstrips added top and bottom today. I'm holding off on the wingtip for now. The LG wire was long and it bumped into the top sheeting before fully seated so I cut it down.

I'm going to re-clean the bench and just go all out on the other panel . I'll pick up the thread when I'm ready to join and then glass the wings in order to not bore everyone..
Old Jul 13, 2013, 07:41 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,481 Posts
I was looking through the build pics and came across a couple shots I didn't post for some reason and thought some may be interested. The hardwood wnig hold down block centers on the LE with balsa filler top and bottom. The issue was the hardwood block needed to have an angle of removed wood on the side that would rest against the rib with the ply LG doubler. This was all expoxied into place and the bala top and bottom was shaped to the rib outline..
Old Jul 13, 2013, 08:47 PM
Yes my name is Cessna.
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Mar 2010
194 Posts
Maybe the fairing should be less "curvy" ? The part you have shown in the drawing. Would be easier to fabricate and more realistic rather than "artsy" shall I say? Just a thought...
wcessna is offline Find More Posts by wcessna
Old Jul 13, 2013, 09:57 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,481 Posts
I had the Ryan STA in mind and that is less curvy now that I look at it so thats what I'll do.. Second wing panel is underway and moving quickly.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:01 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,481 Posts
Update... Second panel should be done in next couple days with just LE top/bottom sheeting needed. Both being bent now, will add one tomorrow and other thur, then shape the LE. Will resume thread on Fri with joining the halves.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 09:00 AM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,481 Posts
Second panel is together and last bit of sheeting is curing. The kit did not supply what I'll call trailing edge stock to sit between the two panels to provide the correct dihedral and there also is no 5" wide glass cloth for the center section. .I have all types and weights but it looks like it was to be supplied.

Question... The kit has 1.25" dihedral at each tip. This seems like a lot and I would like to flatten it a bit to say 3/4 or 1". I'm not looking for the add'l stability the 1.25 offers. Thoughts?

Heading to S. Florida for personal stuff Friday PM so I'll pick this up in a few days...
Old Jul 19, 2013, 09:17 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,875 Posts
It's all about what you want your model to look like. It flies fine with the suggested dihedral, with no trainer-like self correcting properties.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Jul 23, 2013, 03:51 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,481 Posts
I made up the middle TE stock from a slightly thicker scrap piece I had on hand, sanding it to the proper angles called for in the kit. The amount of dihedral was not as much as I expected so I left it as is.. I have not joined a wing this way before so I'm a little stumped on how to get some descent pressure on the joint and instructions offer no input. I will epoxy the stock to one side first and let dry but its adding the second side I could use advice on. The ribs are to thin for any sideways pressure. I was thinking to place 2 short vertical pieces against the outboard area of the center sheeting to allow clamping the two wings together. ??
This is an old tip I learned but its useful for other sanding as well If you need to re-shape TE stock, tape a piece of brass tube or thick piano wire of correct thickness on your bench such that the TE of the stock is just before ledge of your bench. Tape the correct thickness piano wire at the TE and place the stock between the wires and sand off the difference with a block. Placing it near the edge allows the block to angle below the bench top and ride on the two wires. The block will eventually meet up with the front and rear wires or tube leaving the final shape. Flip the stock periodically to get the correct angle on both sides.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 08:14 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,481 Posts
Panels are supposed to be straight with no sweep and I have about 1/8 to3\16" on each side which I'm not going to worry about. Still wondering how to join....Problem is I'm solo which makes it a bit difficult. Have two expendable wooden rulers I cut at 6" each and was planning to span them with rubber bands... bugt two hands are not enough... I'll have to see if I can bribe a daughter for 10 mins of her time .