HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:59 PM
United States, FL, Titusville
Joined Jan 2007
222 Posts
Discussion
Classic vs Old Time vs Nostalgia

Howdy y'all! Please don't anyone be upset with me but I was wondering what defines a "classic plane" i.e. Old Time, Nostalgia 30? I'm sure it has been written out in the past but I missed it and I couldn't find the definition. For example what catagory would a Ringmaster S-1 be .... how about a Bi-Slob ....or say a Novi III ....?? What about a design like the Ruffy or Skylark that has been "upgraded" i.e. scratchbuilt using more modern techniques and materials, how would it be classified?? I ask this because I've scratchbuilt a Sig Banshee but I made foam cores for the wing then I scratchbuilt a Ringmaster S-1 variant but I goofed and cut the foam core backwards, that is the leading edge trails back and the trailing edge is straight (boy did I goof that setup). Nevertheless I went ahead and sheeted the wing and used it. It still flew just fine but it definately looks different from the original Ringmaster and my Banshee flies just fine and pulls like crazy with the OS 40FP providing the pull.
propaplace is offline Find More Posts by propaplace
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:08 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,765 Posts
Competition classes all have clearly stated rules as to what is allowed in that class. And the classes and their definitions vary widely across the world.

Outside of competition classes it's down to personal opinion. You can call your models whatever you like .

Steve
slipstick is online now Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:48 PM
United States, FL, Titusville
Joined Jan 2007
222 Posts
Thanks! My problem is that I built a model on a plane called the Novi III but I made some modifications; one of which is fairly significant. I made the canopy from a carved block of balsa vs forming one from plastic sheet, I built-up the lower cowl from balsa rather than fiberglass and finally I made the wing removable! I'm just not sure if that "unmakes" it Novi III. From 5 feet I'm not sure anyone would really know the difference, but I sure would like to know the cutoff! Can anyone make the call??
propaplace is offline Find More Posts by propaplace
Old Feb 23, 2013, 06:31 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,208 Posts
Unfortunately, the definitions of the different classes, and how they are judged are different among different countries. Here in the USA, there are supposed to be Fidelity Points in Classic (airplanes through 1969), but, for obvious reasons, they are seldom used, with appearance points used instead. I'd say your airplane should be OK.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:51 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,404 Posts
OTS in the USA is up until Dec31, 1952, Classic is up until Dec31, 1969 and Nostalgia '79 is up until Dec31, 1979. The Novi III is a Classic in the USA. Your model is legal too.
Chris...
stuntflyr is offline Find More Posts by stuntflyr
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:04 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,337 Posts
As far as I have understood discussions on the US Classic class, it has to look like the "original". What you do with things that are not all that visible is up to you.
perttime is offline Find More Posts by perttime