HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 14, 2014, 09:45 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,894 Posts
We had a small window in the weather to fly this weekend where the temp was forecasted to be in the lower 50's. Unfortunately, there was fog and the ceiling was low, but I snuck in a warm up flight on my regular Rifle 1M, then tossed the "Super" 1M with the Mega on 4S.

This one won't be turn-and-burn pylon style, but straight line only 'cause down time/coasting is needed for cooling. But from data logging I learned the ESC got up to about 200F and the motor never even broke 170F.

Well, this was just the first of more experimental to come.

The Amps, Watts and rpm figures in the title at the beginning of the video are airborne, not static!

Great Planes "Super" Rifle 1M maiden (1 min 49 sec)

Tim
KRProton is offline Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2014, 09:53 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmac1 View Post
Maidening tomorrow- using my sun racer 4 setup
Neu 1112-2D
4.75x4.75 apc
CC edge Lt. 100
4s TP1800 70c
Ds09's on ails
Hs5085 on elevator
Trex 500 links and balls
Ty to all on here for your great info- I glassed the fuse aft of the elevator servo, and the wing servo pockets- I'll bring a tp 4s2250 if I'm feeling frisky....
That should be pretty nice, but a little on the heavy side on 4S. I'm guessing weight is, what...about 29 - 30 oz?

Should go fine though on that prop. Since you know the setup and have already flown it in your Sunracer that's good. At that weight the Rifle 1M may not launch quite as nicely as the Sunracer must have with that setup, but should be no problem if you're experienced.

Best of luck to you.

Tim
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by KRProton; Dec 15, 2014 at 06:27 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 02:47 PM
United States, NY, Ronkonkoma
Joined Feb 2009
137 Posts
Dang

ty Tim- I didn't get the chance to fly it- as on pre flight checking, the servo arm split where I installed the ball (ail)- it sucks, but glad it happened BEFORE I flew it....
I've used these servo arms (DS09's) on a few planes, including my Swist with great success- now I've got to figure out how to pry that sucker out of the wing (epoxy) to get the arm off to replace it- should come out.... Ugh
Flew a few packs through SR., so wasn't a total loss.....

trim.5BCBB1B9-2035-491B-BF75-BE5F233DFF87 (0 min 43 sec)

Short vid of setup in Sunracer
patmac1 is offline Find More Posts by patmac1
Old Dec 16, 2014, 04:25 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmac1 View Post
ty Tim- I didn't get the chance to fly it- as on pre flight checking, the servo arm split where I installed the ball (ail)- it sucks, but glad it happened BEFORE I flew it....
I've used these servo arms (DS09's) on a few planes, including my Swist with great success- now I've got to figure out how to pry that sucker out of the wing (epoxy) to get the arm off to replace it- should come out.... Ugh
Flew a few packs through SR., so wasn't a total loss.....

https://vimeo.com/114697046

Short vid of setup in Sunracer
DAMN that's fast. looks like it needs TONS of space to slow down. How do you find launching it. I've been flying Jets and thought about grabbing a riffle.
itsparks is online now Find More Posts by itsparks
Old Dec 16, 2014, 07:25 PM
United States, FL, Coral Springs
Joined Jan 2007
508 Posts
I'm having a difficult time hand launching mine. Had a couple of scary launches. So far I have had members of the club hand launch. Are you guys launching at full throttle. So far I had been lauching at 3/4 throttle. I'm a little nervous to launch myself. When launching yourself are people using left or right hand?
falconjet50 is offline Find More Posts by falconjet50
Old Dec 16, 2014, 11:16 PM
Multifaceted Heli Nut
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Oct 2004
555 Posts
I fly mode 2 and am left-handed (throwing) so I got no problems getting airborne. But I do notice the Rifle wants to yaw rather hard nose-left on release so throw it straight and firm, get ready to give a little right aileron to clean it up. Full throttle is my power setting on launch, triggered via a throttle cut switch on the right of the TX.
heli-headcase is online now Find More Posts by heli-headcase
Old Yesterday, 07:02 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,894 Posts
The manual says it all...launch at full-throttle. A nice headwind helps if you're new to it, and you have to throw it hard. I've seen plenty of weak launches from inexperienced helpers. Only thing I may recommend different than what's illustrated in the manual is perhaps launch it at a slightly lower angle.

If it's yawing you must be throwing it crooked. Usually it will roll left, but not yaw.

It does take a little practice. If, for some reason, your Rifle 1M is heavy from on oversize battery or whatever that certainly doesn't help.

Tim
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 07:19 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconjet50 View Post
I'm having a difficult time hand launching mine. Had a couple of scary launches. So far I have had members of the club hand launch. Are you guys launching at full throttle. So far I had been lauching at 3/4 throttle. I'm a little nervous to launch myself. When launching yourself are people using left or right hand?
Here's a system I came up with a few years back that has worked well for me for all my 3-channel hand launched models. I program in a switch activated "launch" mode in my transmitter that puts in a small amount of "up" elevator(1/32" for the Rifle 1M"). I also program in a mix with the Rudder channel as Master and the Aileron channel as the Slave. Since the Rifle 1M does not have rudder control, the rudder channel is unused.

Now when I launch, I switch in my launch mode, go to full throttle, and give the Rifle 1M a strong toss with my right hand. The slight amount of "up" elevator will allow the plane to climb after launch and the rudder mix will allow me to make any needed wing leveling flight changes with my left hand during that critical time frame from when the plane leaves my right hand and the point that my right hand gets back on the transmitter stick. When I reach a safe altitude, I switch out of launch mode. I've also found it helpful to look at the plane and not at the horizon during the launch. By watching the plane, I've found that I can keep the wings more level during the launch.

I leave the Rudder over Aileron mix "On" all the time since I don't use rudder to fly the Rifle 1M. However, there are times when I've found myself instictively grabbing some rudder during landing from force-of-habit. I've found that it's better to have the plane make some reaction, than to bend the rudder stick and wonder why the plane doesn't do anything.

This process has worked very well for me on all types of 3-channel planes including some really touchy, overpowered EDFs. Give it a try and see what you think.

McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kingsflyer; Yesterday at 07:32 AM.
Old Yesterday, 08:26 AM
United States, FL, Coral Springs
Joined Jan 2007
508 Posts
I'm going to try that mix. Are you programming a Spektum Radio? I find myself pushing the rudder on launches knowing that it is not doing anything just habit from other aircraft hand launches. I think it would be better if I can hand launch myself instead of waiting for someone who ready does not know what they are doing to launch it.
falconjet50 is offline Find More Posts by falconjet50
Old Yesterday, 08:38 AM
United States, NY, Ronkonkoma
Joined Feb 2009
137 Posts
Launches

i have a few F5D models, and smaller pylon racers- all launched the same simple(for me) way- I'm right handed, and still use my left to launch- little over 1/2 throttle, and a quick hoist slightly nose up- my right hand is on the stick, and just counter the slight roll with a little input- I've done so many, I don't even notice any issue- be sure to have high rates on launch-

It sparks- landing with 8 mm of spoilerons is fairly short- my field length is limited- I do go out a ways, and wait until I've turned straight inbound before spoilers up- I made the mistake early in my learning curve deploying before the final turn- and stalling- if u can stay low on final and "drag" it in u can blip power if you get too slow- I find it easier than trying to slow down close in
patmac1 is offline Find More Posts by patmac1