HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:28 AM
Always puts it on the numbers.
United States, AL, Sylacauga
Joined Jul 2012
1,150 Posts
Help!
Trex 450 pro V2 setup.

Hey, I am trying to get started in Helicopters. I got the T-rex 450 Pro V2 Flybarless and have the Sky Fly radio. I am so lost. I have one radio with Th9x upgrade... I have no idea where to start in it's programing..... So I got a stock radio and used some 450 clone setup's from You tube but still nothing works right as in when I throttle up I get crazy right pitch......... and just a bunch of other movements that are obviously out of wack....

Rather than try to fix what I have set up.... can any one tell me if they are using the Pro V2 system with the SkyFly stock radio and if so can you help me with the settings. I just need to get close and will work with it from there. I would like to be able to test out my training gear at the least.
Spookeay is offline Find More Posts by Spookeay
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2012, 04:44 AM
Get to the choppa!
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Sep 2012
358 Posts
Are you using the 3gx gyro? If so there is a chance you did not properly setup the gyro.

Here is a link to a great video on the gyro setup along with the mechanical setup and controller settings. I suggest you follow along step by step and learn the why and how. If you just blindly copy someones config you will not get where you want to be, Don't worry that its not the same size helicopter, it will help you out. There are a few videos in this playlist.

Align 3gx full setup video 1 (freddy can fly) (14 min 9 sec)

Align 3gx full setup video 2 (freddy can fly) (14 min 33 sec)

Align 3gx full setup video 3 (freddy can fly) (13 min 13 sec)

Align 3gx full setup video 4 (freddy can fly) (4 min 25 sec)
RFDelie is offline Find More Posts by RFDelie
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:09 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
If it's the flybar head, it's easy...

All radios have basically the same settings - because that's what helicopters need. This is my method... (From here: http://jazzyflight.blogspot.com/2009...er-primer.html )

Set up the head. (Top-down method)
- Hold the blade grips at zero pitch throughout this procedure
- Adjust the pitch mixing links to equal lengths, and until the pitch mixing arms are both level - 90 degrees from the main shaft and level with each other
- Snap the radius arms onto the swash plate
- With the blades and paddles at zero pitch, adjust the washout links and the long mixing arm links until the washout arms are level - 90 degrees to the main shaft, and level with each other. This can be tricky because you'll need to get them both correct at the same time - use the suggested measurements from your helicopter manual as a starting point.
- At this point, the blades should be at zero pitch, the flybar cage level, and the mixing arms and washout arms should be 90 degrees from the main shaft, and level with each other.
- This sets the height of the swash plate at zero pitch.
- Center your cyclic servos, and adjust the swash plate links so that the servos and swash can be connected with the swash at the 'zero pitch' height, and the servos perfectly centered.

Program the radio.
- Set CCPM mode, 120-degree swash plate
- unplug the motor
- plug in the helicopter and let it initialize - center the throttle stick
- Move the throttle stick up and down a little bit
- All three cyclic servos should move up and down together - if one doesn't, reverse that servo only.
- Go to your pitch mixing setup
- Move the throttle stick up - all three servos should move together, and your blades should get more positive pitch. If not, change the pitch mixing number from positive to negative - we will set the actual number later, just getting the direction correct now.
- Move the cyclic stick to the right - your swash plate should tilt down on the right - if not, change the aileron mixing number from positive to negative. Again, we'll set the actual number later.
- Move the cyclic stick forward - the swash should tilt down on the front side. If not, reverse the elevator mixing number from positive to negative.
- Double check your settings - make sure that more throttle gives you more positive pitch, and the swash is tilting in the right directions.
- Check that the blades are at zero pitch with the throttle stick in the middle - you have not adjusted the pitch curve yet, so this should be the case.
- Put the throttle stick all the way up. Adjust the pitch mixing number until the swash moves up to the extreme - the washout block should nearly run into the head.
- Put the throttle stick all the way down. Make sure there is no binding, and the washout block does not slip off the washout guide rods. If it is going too far, be double sure you are getting zero pitch at mid-stick, and reduce the pitch mixing number if you need to.
- Go back to your servo reversing menu.
- Move the rudder stick all the way to the left - the leading edges of the tail blades should move to the right. If not, then reverse the rudder channel.
- Program the pitch curves - this is a matter of personal preference and flying style. I set mine up to give me maximum pitch in both directions, positive and negative. A 5-point curve for normal mode would be 30-40-50-75-100. For my stunt modes I use 0-25-50-75-100. It is important that the last three numbers be 50-75-100 in all modes, so that when you switch modes in flight, you don't get sudden pitch changes.
- Program the throttle curves - again, this is a matter of personal taste. For my normal mode I use 0-50-75-90-100, which gives me high head speed very early, makes the transition to stunt mode less severe, makes the helicopter a bit more stable in a hover, but also makes it more reactive. For my stunt mode, I use 100% all the way across. Some people prefer a v-shaped throttle curve such as 100-90-80-90-100.

Set up the gyro.
- First you need to set the gyro direction. To do this, wag the tail to the left - the leading edges of the tail blades should move right. The tail should try to fight your motion. If not, reverse the gyro direction on the gyro itself. You should not need to reverse the rudder channel if you do this, but double check it to be sure.
- There are many ways to set the gyro gain - most setups have a remote gain setting programmed in the radio by signalling the gear channel.
- To adjust the gain, you will need to fly the helicopter. The gyro does not understand what is happening when the helicopter is not flying, and it may do weird things such as stick the servo to one side and stay there.
- Move the rudder stick to both sides and hold it there. Make sure the servo is not capable of driving the pitch slider too far. Use the limit feature of the gyro, or change holes on your servo arm to limit the travel. Do not use adjustable rates on the radio to try to limit the servo travel - it will not work, and you will risk having the servo bind and strip in flight.
- Using training balls to fly your helicopter the first time, you will adjust the gyro gain higher until the tail starts to wag back and forth forcefully. Then lower the gain from that point until the wagging stops. You may find that the tail starts wagging again after hard spins or loops, or during turns. Lower the gain some more if this happens. See my Trex 500 video on the "arvadamodelers" Youtube channel for an example of gyro gain too high, not causing tail wag in hovering, but wagging in forward flight. I lowered it 1% from there, and now it's perfect.

Balance and track the blades.
- Before your first flight, make sure the blades are balanced. You can use a blade balancing tool, or a very accurate scale to do this.
- Now bring your helicopter into an eye-level hover, and have an assistant look at the blades - there should be no gap between them. If there is, you will need to adjust the pitch mixing links to close the gap.
- Usually, I just pick a link to adjust and see if it makes the tracking better or worse. Mark the link with a silver Sharpie, and adjust it in the other direction if it makes the tracking worse. Do one full turn at a time, as this is a very sensitive adjustment.
- If you use carbon fiber blades, and you zeroed your blade pitch properly, they should track perfectly - if not, be sure to check the pitch again before adjusting the tracking.

Final inspections and test flight.
- Lube all the bearings
- Pull on the ball links and make sure they are tight
- Check the belt tension
- Check the blade grip tension
- Check the rudder direction while spooling up
- Make sure everything sounds smooth
- Watch for vibrations when spooling up
- Fly for only a minute or two the first time
- Check the parts temperature after first flight - motor, servos, gyro, and battery. Hot parts can indicate a problem.
Remember - the helicopter is the only type of aircraft capable of crashing into itself! If you build and maintain properly, this won't happen.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:52 AM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
4,157 Posts
Could not ask for a more informative post than that.
Superior knowledge passed to the masses...
Great work jasmine2501.
Steve_ is online now Find More Posts by Steve_
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Our Day at the Park
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:27 AM
banging head on wall
Joined Feb 2010
1,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookeay View Post
nothing works right as in when I throttle up I get crazy right pitch......... and just a bunch of other movements that are obviously out of wack..
Double check your servo hookup looking from the back of the heli the rear servo is the elevator! plug to your the elev chan.(3?) front right servo aileron! plugged to the aileron chan.(2?) and front left is pitch chan 6? haven,t looked at one of the manuals for a while so not sure of your rx labeling. In your post above these symptoms could show a miss wire after you check that the right servos are in the right plugs then you may need to do some servo reversing and possible setting the direction of swash travel to get everything moving the right direction and together (aileron stick left and aile. servo pulls down, right stick up and pitch servo arm up, elevator stick up and elev. servo arm moves up,) and together just a thought........ been there and done that!!!! hope I got that right on the servo and stick movement directions old age and my helis are about 500 miles away right now
skyeblu is offline Find More Posts by skyeblu
Last edited by skyeblu; Dec 11, 2012 at 02:43 AM.