HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:57 PM
United States, ND, Fargo
Joined Aug 2007
180 Posts
Discussion
Skysurfer gone.. just.. gone...

Today my faithful Skysurfer decided to make a break for freedom. I was excecuting a sharp left turn at full throttle at some altitude when I experienced a momentary loss of power. Power came back within a split second and that is when I realized, to my horror, that I had no throttle or directional control at all. I hit my throttle cut switch and tried to nose down to at least save the electronics but nothing. All I could do watch watch her fly south at full throttle, at substantial altitude, completely out of sight and no sign of slowing down. I walked about 2 miles due south of my field listening for the no radio signal beep and trying to blip the throttle occasionally to hear the motor but it's like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Damn... I loved that plane too,
johnwohl is offline Find More Posts by johnwohl
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:40 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,853 Posts
That sucks. I've never had a total fly away, would be tough not knowing Whisky Tango Foxtrot happened.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:59 AM
United States, ND, Fargo
Joined Aug 2007
180 Posts
Any number of things could have happened I guess. Maybe something like the antenna got moved to the wrong angle or the rx power wire got jostled during a hard maneuver. I was never shy about tossing it about at full tilt boogie (which was rather quicker than stock), Could be that the BEC died? I don't feel too terrible about it. Although there was alot of sweat and tears put into that setup, I only lost maybe $40 in hardware max, and the airframe had seen MUCH better days. There was probably enough epoxy and contact cement on it to build a few more planes. I taught myself how to fly on that plane, and everything I ever learned how to do as far as mods and setup was done first on that one. My return on investment, experience and fun wise is outstanding.

Plus, now I get to buy a new plane!
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:18 PM
United States, ND, Fargo
Joined Aug 2007
180 Posts
Found about 3/4 mile due south in a yard. The highway going south runs south parallel to the field I fly in so I thought I would walk down a ways and I happened to see the broken tail section flapping around.

It's broken in several places, but I think I should be able to glue it back together. More jazzed about getting the electronics back though. May need a new LiPo, dunno yet.

I usually do repairs with epoxy but in this case that might add a lot of weight. CA maybe?
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:35 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,853 Posts
nice! I'd go with Epoxy, foam safe CA never seems to really make that strong a bond for me. Although maybe if you covered the inside seams with some wood or extra foam and more CA it would be okay.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 07:22 PM
United States, ND, Fargo
Joined Aug 2007
180 Posts
Back together and airworthy!

As you can see, the nose is pretty tweaked after putting it back together (tore in about 5 places) but oh well. I seem to have lost some prop/tail boom clearance possibly due to foam compression or something but hey, it's not hitting so we're good (maybe about 1mm clearance left though, yikes).

I also finally had to replace the stock rudder and elevator servos with some tower pro 9g that I had around and went to quick connects at the servo horns after cutting off the z-bends. I'm surprised at how long the stock servos actually lasted. The spoileron servos got replaced almost immediately and moved to the top after a clod of dirt took out one of the stock ones.

Oh, and I ended up trying low temp hot glue since I hadn't ever used it before and I heard it was good with EPO. It'll never sit in a hot car or anything, but we'll see how it holds up.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 01:44 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,652 Posts
Lucky! Judging from the reconstruction photo, it looks like it's gonna want to turn left. The whole fuse from motor back looks pointed that way.
HELModels is offline Find More Posts by HELModels
Old Sep 08, 2012, 02:23 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,853 Posts
Thats what trim is for right?
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:36 AM
United States, ND, Fargo
Joined Aug 2007
180 Posts
20mph winds today so no chance to fly. I've never actually used trim other than sub-trim to center my servos for equal throw. We'll see how that goes, but I think you're right, it'll want to pull to the left. Might not be bad enough for me to bother with trim though unless it actually rolls left, which would be annoying. I'm thinking with the decrease in vertical motor angle, I might have to mix in some elevator with throttle.