HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:22 PM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebbb View Post
True, to a point, but then why not make it available with more camera type compatibility? considering the price, its pretty restrictive surely?
To get that kind of performance you need perfect balance. It's the same for the steady cam units that people use on the ground. They set it up for the EXACT camera/lens they will be using for that shot. Then they have to re-balance when they change cameras. People have been re-balancing the Z15 when they switch out lenses with pretty good success.

DJI can't possibly offer a different setup for every camera/lens coombo availible so they make them for the most used AP cameras
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:50 PM
Joined Aug 2011
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
To get that kind of performance you need perfect balance. It's the same for the steady cam units that people use on the ground. They set it up for the EXACT camera/lens they will be using for that shot. Then they have to re-balance when they change cameras. People have been re-balancing the Z15 when they switch out lenses with pretty good success.

DJI can't possibly offer a different setup for every camera/lens coombo availible so they make them for the most used AP cameras
Im not criticizing, but they are limiting themselves in that respect, but i have watched videos from other people using various different mounts and cameras, and to compare to video done via the Zenmuse, theres not much in it, if any in some videos, so honestly, is it really worth that much ?
Davebbb is offline Find More Posts by Davebbb
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:18 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebbb View Post
Im not criticizing, but they are limiting themselves in that respect, but i have watched videos from other people using various different mounts and cameras, and to compare to video done via the Zenmuse, theres not much in it, if any in some videos, so honestly, is it really worth that much ?
I don't think so, you are limited to not just the camera but also the lens. That is a non-starter for me.
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:20 PM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarro View Post
I don't think so, you are limited to not just the camera but also the lens. That is a non-starter for me.
If you change lenses you just have to rebalance it with weights.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:46 PM
PolynÚsie franšaise, ╬les du Vent, Papeete
Joined Mar 2010
521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid3ways View Post
Technically I think all you need is the IMU which you can buy separately for around 650 or so. Anyone else confirm that with hard info? Thought I saw the video of someone using the IMU standalone.

EDIT: Nevermind, after thinking about it compass comes into play which is inside the GPS unit. Fail.
i don't think you need Gps because during GPS recall we did some nice footage without GPS . S800 and Zenmuse worked perfectly in atti ( of course no GPS mode no course lock and no return home ) .
But i don't know if the zenmuse work with an IMU plug directly in the zen GCU
could someone confirm.
flytahiti is offline Find More Posts by flytahiti
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:55 PM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,082 Posts
Guess I should have tested it myself, I was unaware the Z15 worked without the GPS unit! Bonus
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:10 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
If you change lenses you just have to rebalance it with weights.
If so, why can't you do the samething with cameras?
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:18 PM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,082 Posts
Quote:
If so, why can't you do the samething with cameras?
Physical space limitations. There is barely enough room to run the Zeiss lens on the 5N. Best you could do is probably put a Sony RX1 on there. . GH2 mount of course is larger but you'd never be able to fit a T4i or anything of that size.
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:23 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,759 Posts
Tarro, you can within the limitations of the servos to move the mass. Remember is not the start but the stop that makes great gimbal performance. The higher the mass the greater the load on the servos. DJI has a Zen for a Red that I saw at ASUAV show in Las Vegas the size of the servos was about 1.5x larger. You also have to consider the Z15's calibration motion. If the camera is too large then the mechanism will be inhibited or damaged.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:32 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
Tarro, you can within the limitations of the servos to move the mass. Remember is not the start but the stop that makes great gimbal performance. The higher the mass the greater the load on the servos. DJI has a Zen for a Red that I saw at ASUAV show in Las Vegas the size of the servos was about 1.5x larger. You also have to consider the Z15's calibration motion. If the camera is too large then the mechanism will be inhibited or damaged.
Wow, the Red mount must be a fortune. I am using a CS Gimbal with the Radian Stabilization system. It works fine but like any mount care must be taken when balancing it.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:46 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,759 Posts
Quote:
Wow, the Red mount must be a fortune. I am using a CS Gimbal with the Radian Stabilization system. It works fine but like any mount care must be taken when balancing it.
I can't afford the camera so I didn't even ask. The gasser that it was on was 800+. If Sidney were around he could tell you the exact details. But DJI has been making special order gimbals for some time for the film industry. At least that is my understanding.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:29 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Edinburgh
Joined Nov 2010
1,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffythesaint View Post
The Z15 is a lot of money hanging under a multi. Why is it so expensive? And it only works with a WKM. I have the AV130 mount and a new Sony 760 camera and the stabilization is awsome. Both are less then the price of the Z15. Perhaps it will be cameras that will provide the best video stab. in the future and not the gimble.
The price reflects on the countless man hours Dji spent designing and testing z15. They are the only company who possesses this marvellous thing.
So for now the price will stay high.

Maybe when a next company jump on the wagon, the price will go down

Z15 is for pro work, money making.
Not for back yard goproing for you tube.
If your in the right connections a 20 second clip filmed from the z15 can buy 6 more z15 and still leave extra for a house, an Audi tt new shape and food for the fridge.
hexa is offline Find More Posts by hexa
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:54 AM
Joined Jul 2007
35 Posts
Nope... Checked the voltage after I got home and the still had plenty of juice left. Thought it might of been low battery, or ESC related... but it's looking more like firmware related... but can't confirm.

Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyWavey View Post
That's exactly what my CX4 looked like when my Lipo when flat. Could that have been one of your ESCs going low battery?
apeman88 is offline Find More Posts by apeman88
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:54 AM
Joined Sep 2011
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by apeman88 View Post
Nope... Checked the voltage after I got home and the still had plenty of juice left. Thought it might of been low battery, or ESC related... but it's looking more like firmware related... but can't confirm.

Ken
Simply stuffing a voltmeter into a battery won't give you the under load voltage. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it wasn't firmware (I'm still on 5.08 cos I don't trust anything later) but did you properly load up the Lipo and read the voltage under load?
DaveyWavey is offline Find More Posts by DaveyWavey
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:57 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Edinburgh
Joined Nov 2010
1,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdww View Post
Feature Request

1. Logging. It would be nice to see stuff like, mode changes, errors, and warnings. Sometime when the machine is far away, I might not see what the LED is doing.

2. I would like to see if my machine is out of balance somehow during flight. Which motor is working the hardest during a hover, etc. I know external things like wind can changes this, but maybe we fly in a controlled environment.

By adding these two features, the tech support may go down as we can see more info to help solve mechanical issues that may look like software issue. For instance I had a yaw issue, which turned out my machine was way out of balance because I was not picking it up in the right spot to check CG.
Yes i have being beating the wooden Drogon for those 2 features, 3 actually led board for soldering own led for a wile now.

any time Dji add those 3 features to the wkm. I shall retire from Rcg. I shall delete my account and lay at rest.
hexa is offline Find More Posts by hexa