Old Feb 24, 2011, 03:48 PM
ApachePilot
United States, MI, De Tour Village
Joined Oct 2006
1,937 Posts
Discussion
Premeir RC Eagle Thrust vector kite

G,day gang....

Nice to have a new topic here on RCG. Today I placed an order for the premier RC Eagle with Generation II Vector unit and should have it an a week or so. http://www.premierrc.com/eagle.shtml
http://shop.premierrc.com/707vectorp...ackage1-1.aspx
The weather here in North Carolina should be great for a maiden next weekend.

To date I have experience in mostly all other facets of the RC hobby. I have delved into everything from rubber power to turbine jets, helicopters. I have experience in buggies, truggies, boats, sailboats, subs, planks, rock crawlers and battle bots, but never before a RC kite.

I understand that you can only manuvere the kite with motor running and have no problem with that. From my understanding flight times with stock battery are around 8 minutes and up to 15 with a larger battery. My question for the gurus is, I have a lot of sailplane/glider thermaling experience and wonder if that is a real possibility with this type bird? ( I am hoping to get it up a bit and shut motor off and glide)Will it glide well? (I am hoping to blip or pulse throttle for direction/altitude change) again, possible?

Lastly, I am hoping to get some arial video using something like this here. I have used the same thing on my gliders/sail planes and all have performed well up to 1 mile away. FPV Kite?

Here is the camera/rx I will be installing for some back yard pleasure.(only a small 10mW system for flying close) (50mW system 2.4gHz for flying higher and further away.)

http://www.fpvhobby.com/94-8ghz-10mw-camera.html
http://www.fpvhobby.com/47-4ghz-50mw-camera.html

ApachePilot
ApachePilot is offline Find More Posts by ApachePilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2011, 06:12 PM
Joined Feb 2011
5 Posts
ApachePilot..good luck with that eagle..I'm in NC as well and just starting to explore rc kites...have some single line and stunts..but no rc's..ordered my first today..cheers.."Z"
zsony is offline Find More Posts by zsony
Old Feb 24, 2011, 06:16 PM
ApachePilot
Joined Oct 2006
1,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zsony View Post
ApachePilot..good luck with that eagle..I'm in NC as well and just starting to explore rc kites...have some single line and stunts..but no rc's..ordered my first today..cheers.."Z"
I think it will be an awesome new adventure....
I will post all pics, news, updates, configuration, flight times and such here.

Currently staying in Hickory, NC and do some flying here, but have been mostly flying in Huntersville area.

ApachePilot
Old Feb 24, 2011, 09:35 PM
Joined Feb 2011
5 Posts
Winston_Salem for me ...but spend a lot of time at the beach with the type of kites I have...happy to meet you..look forward to your posts.."Z"
zsony is offline Find More Posts by zsony
Old Feb 24, 2011, 11:03 PM
check the crazyplanes ...
Germany
Joined Dec 2006
323 Posts
Hi ApachePilot,

Welcome to the club

As an experienced RC-Pilot of all kind of remote controlled aircraft, You will find out, that '... Flying Vector Kites is a remote-control experience like no other .... ' (as Mike Gantt discribed in the Modelairplanenews Vector-Kite test, issued April/2010):

http://www.modelairplanenews.com/ME2...922A376107B876

It is a bit of 'thrust pitch' heli flying, as well as 'electro soaring', and, a bit 'ultra slow flying' in combination with some 'easy stunts at low speed'.

And, may be, the main fact: You can fly as close to You as You want with that 320cm Eagle (and with other vector kites, too). At least, You can fly it like a sail plane, but not in the same way:
As all the Vector Kites are flying objects without any possibility of control without motor action, You at first allways should keep an eye on the voltage status of Your onboard LiPo. Some new RC radios deliver telemetric data about that, and give a warning signal, if the voltage comes closely to 3V of the LiPo-cells(or another value You programmed). Heli pilots meanwhile oftenly use telemetry.

On the other hand, although the wingload of vector kites is one of the lowest of all winged model aircraft, You cannot expect the same glide ratio, like a top soarer has:
Without motor thrust, the light EAGLE (and the other vector kites, too) reduces it's speed to a minimum, so the 'glide' is more a kind of 'sinking'.

This helps, if once You forgot about the capacity-status of Your LiPo battery, the motor stops, and the kite will not fly away from You for a longer distance.

If a short running LiPo occurs, just at that moment, when You have found upwinds like a termal bubble, it could be a bit problematic, to get the vector kite down, where You want.

Kite Aerial Photography: Vector Kites are ideal slow flying platforms for onboard cams. On my bigger deltas (350cm +), I take my 'normal' camera (Canon Powershot) onboard, and it makes good videos.

A 3grs. Minicam, like You have choosen, should be no problem.

LiPo size: I flew my Eagle with LiPos between 1050mA and 2200 mA.
With the larger LiPo, it lies a bit 'heavier' in the air, but You will get double the flight time.

Anyway: I wish You as lot of fun as I have with my Eagle(s)

flattermann
flattermann is offline Find More Posts by flattermann
Old Feb 25, 2011, 06:17 AM
ApachePilot
Joined Oct 2006
1,937 Posts
Thanks for your post flattermann,

I will be certain to keep everyone posted here with new videos and my findings. Videos will include the building procedure, through setup and the first flight. Later I will begin to post other videos from a camera possitioned on the ground as well as video from the bird itself.

This will all come from a completely new pilot to the aspect of RC kites.

Stay tuned..........

ApachePilot
Last edited by ApachePilot; Feb 25, 2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 07:51 AM
ApachePilot
Joined Oct 2006
1,937 Posts
Well, I recieved some more news in the past couple of days. My kite with vector unit will be here on wednsday of next week. I also have ordered my micro wireless video system and it should be here around the same time. Lastly, I placed one last order from Ram RC products.( I ordered a digitized sound board with eagle call sounds to install on the kite as well.) That ought to get the locals scratching their heads. The sound board is only about 1"x2" and comes with a micro switch and 2" speaker. Very light weight and should be able to hear it at some distance.

I will be certain to post pics and video when all this comes together.....

Stay tuned............

ApachePilot
Old Mar 01, 2011, 01:54 AM
Damn Gremlins!!!!
Milescity,Montana
Joined Dec 2007
41 Posts
Ok, I think this would be cool, some may think it's childish....
But...
Take a test-tube full of watery flour/ white flour past, and attach it to the bird. Then rig a servo to open and close it for some real bird action.

I live on a golf corse and think the carts would make for some good targets for the slurry bomber.

Is this a cute idea, or a crappy one
Sgtmonkeynads is offline Find More Posts by Sgtmonkeynads
Old Mar 05, 2011, 06:28 AM
ApachePilot
Joined Oct 2006
1,937 Posts
Good morning gang,

The kite made it along with the vector kit.....
I have to work today but will begin uploading pics later this evening....

This thing is BIG!!!

ApachePilot
Old Mar 05, 2011, 12:27 PM
Account closed - user passed away
Chicago
Joined Nov 2009
333 Posts
Ordered mine today!

ApachePilot, looking forward to your pics and first flight report.

Mike
Patron is offline Find More Posts by Patron
Old Mar 05, 2011, 04:52 PM
ApachePilot
Joined Oct 2006
1,937 Posts
Here is a teaser pic for everyone.....now to begin composing pics during building process. Raining today and possibly tomorrow morning, but as soon as the weather clears I will try to get in a maiden and flight video.

ApachePilot
Old Mar 08, 2011, 06:13 AM
Just Happy To Be Here!!!
United States, AL, Tuscaloosa
Joined Nov 2004
1,695 Posts
Lovin' my Eagle!

I've been flying my Eagle since last Summer and love it! It looks great in the air and glides better than any of Premier's powered kites. Birds from time to time "attack" my other powered kites but for SOME reason they run away whenever I fly the Eagle... go figure!

ApachePilot, you're going to love flying this bird!
It goes together easy, easy to hand launch, easy to fly.
I catch mine before it lands to avoid damage to the beak.
The Eagle and Canard are my two favorite powered kites, although I have them all (so far at least!).
Have fun!
harrymc is offline Find More Posts by harrymc
Old Mar 08, 2011, 07:17 PM
ApachePilot
Joined Oct 2006
1,937 Posts
Well, it had to happen some time,.....
Tonight after work I too out the eagle and gave here a maiden flight. I noticed a couple things right off, very different than flying planks....
Another thing I noticed is, even though I mounted the battery where it was shown in the directions, my kite wanted to climb straight up, I checked the thrust angle and found that it had up in it, so I used my trim to tame it a bit. For it to fly level I had to hold almost full down elevator. At the end of the flight it wanted to nose in, so I would have to feed it power to level out. Right now I have down thrust and the battery in the foreward possition to fly level, but glide still suffers. Battery was warm after 5 minute flight.....

I know I can figure things out, but would like to ask the experts what I might need to change.

ApachePilot
Last edited by ApachePilot; Mar 08, 2011 at 09:09 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 06:06 AM
Just Happy To Be Here!!!
United States, AL, Tuscaloosa
Joined Nov 2004
1,695 Posts
ApachePilot,
I PM'ed you with my phone number. Give me a call, I'll go over a few things with you.

Harry
harrymc is offline Find More Posts by harrymc
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:58 AM
Beaver Dam.Wi.
Joined Jan 2003
309 Posts
harrymac

I also have the Premier rc kites eagle and am having the same
problems flying the rc eagle as ApachePilot does.
So I was wandering if you could also Pm me with advice and help?
or maybe post directly to this thread to help all who have problems
with their eagle.

Harris
harrisdouma is offline Find More Posts by harrisdouma
Last edited by harrisdouma; Mar 11, 2011 at 03:01 PM.