Old Jun 16, 2010, 09:45 AM
Spicy Torque Roll!
USA, CA, Pasadena
Joined Dec 2006
1,837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keehopper View Post
flyanything, I would be glad to!

I purchased the plane and all of the recommended parts from the local shop. I first tried the Ammo 3180 and the shaft was bent, returned and got another one. Servos were recommended JR servos, had to build up servo box area in wing for corrected fit. Servo box inside let go, so I re-CA the box before securing. Once the plane was put together, the information on this thread mentioned the wings were folding. I did the Carbon in the wings.
Once that was done, I went to the shop to test the props for amps/rpm and watts with the meters. several props were tested. settled on the 4.75x for maiden. at the time of testing, the front firewall gave way and we had to re-epoxy the wall back on. I have about 12 planes from slow gliders to showtime, stearman, beaver, pulse 25 (fast) and others. I am not too sure footed on the fast pylon racers, but would like to get into that type of craft. Several club member are and fly several different types as well as other faster fan jets and pylon craft. I wanted the maiden flight and trim done from someone with experience and seat of the pants reactive talent. The plane was balanced, cg set correctly, no vibration in prop at high rpm and I had worked on the trim setting to make sure they were free and easy. The battery (1800 hyperion) was set inside with velcro and hard to even remove, so it was set! servos were clear inside and I glued the cables to the side to make sure they were out of the way from the servo movement. The esc (30amp) had velcro to the top of the fuse in front and held in place also by the battery below.
The field was clear of other traffic with a very large flying area. Light winds (calm) early am, at about 70 degrees.
All of the trim settings were set to the recommended levels. Full throttle on take off, toss was about 45 degree.
The plane flew about 30 yards and never would turn and level out.
Well, obviously the guys felt real bad about helping out and having the plane crash, but we did everything we could to make sure it was ok to maiden. I did use pilots with many years of experience rather than trying to maiden myself. The pilot mentioned that the control serfaces even on high rate did not have much affect on the planes attitude while taking off. We are about 5100 ft above sea level and we did make changes to compensate (4.75x4.75 prop). I returned the plane back to the shop and requested they send all of it back to GP for credit on another plane.
Sorry to hear about your experience. My Rifle still flies today with a TON of right trim into the ailerons. On my maiden, I also noted that the stock throws on the elevator was not enough. The design on the elevator allowed for binding no matter what and the HS55 was just not giving me enough control surface movement. I changed it to a HS65MG and she was much more responsive and more control throw. Did you "break in" the control surfaces by bending them with your hand many times before building?
volcomsnows2k is offline Find More Posts by volcomsnows2k
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2010, 12:33 PM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,557 Posts
Hey guys,

I just read this entire thread. I was expecting to find you guys using 28mm motors but I wasn't expecting to learn about an alarming number of wing failures. I actually like the clever wing construction however it doesn't appear to be sufficient for a pylon racer. While I believe the airframe should be able to handle the weight of the systems that you guys are using I have to say that the weight is what appears to be folding these wings...not the speed.

I was planning to recommend an 28mm ARC to a friend who bought a Rifle but at this point my recommendation it going to be the 20mm ARC 110 and a 3s 1320. This is the trusty system I've used in many of my Micro Stingers. Its good for around 120 mph in that airframe but most importantly its a light setup.

In an actual pylon race its pretty standard to pull more than 30g turns around pylon 1. It wouldn't be wise to subject this airframe to anything close to that but if you can reduce the weight a little you can drastically reduce the load the wing is subjected to in the turns. From your reports the Rifle looks and is advertised as a pylon racer but is not built to handle the load. Its capable of going fast in a straight line but can't handle the G's of a tight turn. The best option at this point is a light power system.
pdawg is offline Find More Posts by pdawg
Last edited by pdawg; Jun 16, 2010 at 09:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jun 16, 2010, 12:39 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Mar 2009
82 Posts
volcomsnows2k, Yes, I broke in the controls and worked with them for about 30 min while watching tv to get them working easy. I also sanded the areas that had restriction. I am working on getting a pogo and moving toward the other type of racing planes. They seem to be having a lot of fun with those by eflite and don't need much modifications to make them great flyers.
keehopper is offline Find More Posts by keehopper
Old Jun 16, 2010, 03:36 PM
Spicy Torque Roll!
USA, CA, Pasadena
Joined Dec 2006
1,837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keehopper View Post
volcomsnows2k, Yes, I broke in the controls and worked with them for about 30 min while watching tv to get them working easy. I also sanded the areas that had restriction. I am working on getting a pogo and moving toward the other type of racing planes. They seem to be having a lot of fun with those by eflite and don't need much modifications to make them great flyers.
Good luck to your next project! I have been checking out the Pogo as well!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 16, 2010, 04:21 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by volcomsnows2k View Post
Good luck to your next project! I have been checking out the Pogo as well!
It takes a lot of power to get a Pogo up to high speeds.

I do like the look and the size though. It will just cost more to get it going fast.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Jun 16, 2010, 09:03 PM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,108 Posts
speed isnt cheap
verticalspark is offline Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shooting my AR pistol
Old Jun 16, 2010, 09:07 PM
Spicy Torque Roll!
USA, CA, Pasadena
Joined Dec 2006
1,837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
It takes a lot of power to get a Pogo up to high speeds.

I do like the look and the size though. It will just cost more to get it going fast.

Ya I hear ya. I have viewed a few videos and stock its a nice Sunday flier even on the suggested Power set up from E-Flite.

Mi Rifle is still tearing up the skies so I will stick with it for a while!

Pete
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 16, 2010, 11:46 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,779 Posts
Here is a little video of Don and I flying my Rifle.

Terry really showed his expert camera skills on being able to follow this one! Tnx Bro!

ElectriFly Rifle (1 min 58 sec)
Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 17, 2010, 12:03 AM
Every flight is a maiden!
USA, CA, Fairfield
Joined Jul 2007
880 Posts
Scary!

I can't wait to fly mine! Oh wait yes I can... Scary

Kudos, to Terry, I don't know how he can do that. I can barely keep up with my own planes even without a video camera.

Nice!
johnm15141 is offline Find More Posts by johnm15141
Old Jun 17, 2010, 01:22 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,400 Posts
Pdawg, problem is that the rifle is overweight even when empty. Its heavy and weak. Im guessing a lot of the weight is in the excessive paint hiding the B grade glasswork. Electrifly need to go back to the drawing board and do it properly, or I really dont see the point.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=271
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Jun 17, 2010, 02:42 AM
buffalo NY
Joined May 2010
8 Posts
the camera work was nice on that video i wish i could find someone at my field with that steady a hand i can't wait until i get mine i got all the gear just waiting for an airframe from towers hopefully they don't push the date back again
airplanenut1 is offline Find More Posts by airplanenut1
Old Jun 17, 2010, 07:25 AM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
Pdawg, problem is that the rifle is overweight even when empty. Its heavy and weak. Im guessing a lot of the weight is in the excessive paint hiding the B grade glasswork. Electrifly need to go back to the drawing board and do it properly, or I really dont see the point.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=271

Thanks for the link. I understand what you are saying!
pdawg is offline Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Jun 17, 2010, 10:31 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Mar 2009
82 Posts
It is a shame about the plane. I wonder how many people have or are buying this without any information from a site like this. I have recently finished a Pulse 25 running 60-70 amps from a 12x10 apc and it screams .... It just takes more power and larger props...sometimes to get the same performances. It is kind of weird in the high country getting the same type of performance as sea level. I notice such a difference in the planes between here and lower elevations. Some differences are better and some not. It is ALL GOOD and we all try to make it fun.
keehopper is offline Find More Posts by keehopper
Old Jun 17, 2010, 10:41 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2004
3,092 Posts
Great vid!

Nice work on the edit and audio.

Looks like it's really stable and tracks well, no doubt a lot of fun.

That's a pretty neat little package, very suitable for a lot of the places that electrics are able to fly.

For those wanting more strength, power and speed, there are other choices and bigger budgets. The ole saying "Speed is money son. How fast do ya want to go?" ;-)

Glad to see a good plane in the 100 dollar range, especially in this category.
epwierman is offline Find More Posts by epwierman
Last edited by epwierman; Jun 17, 2010 at 10:54 AM.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 11:09 AM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg View Post
Hey guys,

I just read this entire thread. I was expecting to find you guys using 28mm motors but I wasn't expecting to learn about an alarming number of wing failures. I actually like the clever wing construction however it doesn't appear to be sufficient for a pylon racer. While I believe the airframe should be able to handle the weight of the systems that you guys are using I have to say that the weight is what appears to be folding these wings...not the speed.

I was planning to recommend an 28mm ARC to a friend who bought a Rifle but at this point my recommendation it going to be the 20mm ARC 110 and a 3s 1320. This is the trusty system I've used in many of my Micro Stingers. Its good for around 120 mph in that airframe but most importantly its a light setup.

In an actual pylon race its pretty standard to pull more than 30g turns around pylon 1. It wouldn't be wise to subject this airframe to anything close to that but if you can reduce the weight a little you can drastically reduce the load the wing is subjected to in the turns. From your reports the Rifle looks and is advertised as a pylon racer but is not built to handle the load. Its capable of going fast in a straight line but can't handle the G's of a tight turn. The best option at this point is a light power system.
Good observation.. mine didnt snap untill i went up to a 2200 mah battery.. Isnt that ARC motor rated for 100 watts? What prop is used? The stock 24mm ammo puts out up to 350watts on 4.7" prop to go 120mph.. the rifle is bigger than the stinger fg in terms of wing area a empty weight.
MikeRx is offline Find More Posts by MikeRx
Last edited by MikeRx; Jun 17, 2010 at 11:28 AM.