HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 27, 2011, 10:36 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
I probably should of done the U bend on the throttle linkage when I put a magnum 70 on my brother's mustang.

I took the mummy wrappings of my thumb today. It only hurts when I put moderate pressure on it now. So I may be able to fly by sunday.

Heres some pic's of my thumb the next day after momma cleaned it up some before putting a new dressing on it.

I got 1 wing tip repaired on the MX but I still got to fix some minor cracks in the sheeting on the other wing's wing tip and an Aileron. then I got to repair a few holes in her. I'm now going to have to let the holes determine the decals.

I don't know if I can get this all done as I've been very busy. I had my grandson help me fix my brothers horn on his 260 Z and turn wrenches for me under my directions.
Now I'm getting swamped helping this guy clean carpets and flood damage. I gotta go to work later on this morning.
Kerwin,
That is a serious cut on the thumb...be sure not to rush the recovery! you don't want to get blood all over your transmitter if you get too jinky and bust open your stitches while flying.
I like the idea of the holes determining the decals! be sure to take a picture after the fixes!
Regards,
Mike
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2011, 11:21 AM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,316 Posts
Wayne, the diaphragm is a definite possibility!

Eric, tighten that thing down while it's hot.

Why can't they get the throttles and mufflers right on four strokes? :walks away shaking head!:
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old May 27, 2011, 11:43 AM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardude04 View Post
Wayne, it's a fresh bottle of 30% heli fuel. It was much worse on 15%, to the point where I couldn't make it run an entire tank of fuel. I'm thinking about putting a check valve in the exhaust line just to see what happens. Problem is it'll flood like a mofo when the engine isn't running I'm sure.

I may just put new gaskets in everything and re-seal the crap out of the exhaust. I put some copper RTV on it the other day but it didn't seem to help. I did get anxious and fire it up before it was cured though.

brathanke: Yeah it's me. Another hobby to cost me money LOL.

-Eric
I would check the o-rings first. My Saito 1.25 never had an issue with the stock pipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966 View Post
Wayne, the diaphragm is a definite possibility!

Eric, tighten that thing down while it's hot.

Why can't they get the throttles and mufflers right on four strokes? :walks away shaking head!:

My diaphram was OK, but the there was crap in the screen and I had to clean the needle seat.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old May 27, 2011, 11:48 AM
Cookies Good - Bacon Better
Portland, Oregon
Joined Sep 2008
1,613 Posts
Plow - also check the line in the tank. Tygon will get stiff and not follow the fuel after a while. Tends to stay soft longer if kept in fuel, but most of us drain the tanks. I have seen it recommended to change the tank line each year and I think yours may be a couple old, Maybe??
NoMatta is offline Find More Posts by NoMatta
Old May 27, 2011, 12:01 PM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,044 Posts
RC That sure looks like fun I think you should drive it and have the passenger flying the course with a T_ _ _ T leading the way at the same time.

Welcome back David

Sorry to hear of high winds and crashes Wayne

No help from me on Saito 4 strokes YET I'm on my first one

Plow enjoy the family time.
Quote:
Because the threads like this wouldn't exist.

Kerwin Good luck with all you have to do, Just don't use that Thumb for pulling out plums too soon

Brathanke It does look nice on there though

DOG When I put my Key in the OS 70 It shifted and I ended up damaging the prop hub in the back and cracked the shaft casing as I was wrenching the prop back on DOH!!! so be careful, I never had that problem ever in all my years but it only takes one time now I have to mention it. LOL
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old May 27, 2011, 12:03 PM
Montana Transplant
United States, OR, Klamath Falls
Joined Aug 2005
1,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David22 View Post

I'm back
were you gone??

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
I probably should of done the U bend on the throttle linkage when I put a magnum 70 on my brother's mustang.

I took the mummy wrappings of my thumb today. It only hurts when I put moderate pressure on it now. So I may be able to fly by sunday.

Heres some pic's of my thumb the next day after momma cleaned it up some before putting a new dressing on it.

I got 1 wing tip repaired on the MX but I still got to fix some minor cracks in the sheeting on the other wing's wing tip and an Aileron. then I got to repair a few holes in her. I'm now going to have to let the holes determine the decals.

I don't know if I can get this all done as I've been very busy. I had my grandson help me fix my brothers horn on his 260 Z and turn wrenches for me under my directions.
Now I'm getting swamped helping this guy clean carpets and flood damage. I gotta go to work later on this morning.
Just a scratch, eh plow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardude04 View Post
The half-moon thing is called a 'woodruff key' and is probably not too hard to find at a good hardware store somewhere if you look hard enough. I've never had to find one but it's a standard part usually.

Also, I went autocrossing again. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ud7Q...el_video_title

I need to get this Decathlon done and off the bench so I can fix the tail on my Twist... I'm getting tired of flying the trainer with its lamesauce inconsistent Saito.

Speaking of which, anyone got ideas on that? My Saito 56 won't hold a tune. It's floating everywhere. I should probably put o-rings in it and I think it's got an exhaust leak but still... lol.

-Eric
I'm sure you have checked the valves, right?
mt_flyer is offline Find More Posts by mt_flyer
Old May 27, 2011, 12:14 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,316 Posts
Kerwin did a good job on the thumb, gotta give him props!
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old May 27, 2011, 12:14 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,196 Posts
Ok guys so I tried to fire up the 91 FS a minute ago and it sounds like it will run but there is a fairly loud click right after the compression point that doesn't sound too good to me. It does it again a little further through the rotation. Does it need an adjustment or what? I'm afraid to really run it with that noise going on.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old May 27, 2011, 12:15 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
Ok guys so I tried to fire up the 91 FS a minute ago and it sounds like it will run but there is a fairly loud click right after the compression point that doesn't sound too good to me. It does it again a little further through the rotation. Does it need an adjustment or what? I'm afraid to really run it with that noise going on.
Could be the valves need adjusting. You can find plenty of sources online for adjusting the valves.
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old May 27, 2011, 12:41 PM
Montana Transplant
United States, OR, Klamath Falls
Joined Aug 2005
1,940 Posts
Quote:
make sure glow plug is not hitting piston...
mt_flyer is offline Find More Posts by mt_flyer
Old May 27, 2011, 12:44 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Yea, pull the valve covers and look at the rocker arms. Check the clearance and rotate it through a couple of times. Pull the plug to make it all easier. They don't make an audible click to me but I don't have the best hearing, especially at high freq.

If you don't have valve problems then you have to look at the cam/timing gear and the crank/bearings.
Old May 27, 2011, 12:45 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post
Sorry to hear of high winds and crashes Wayne
At least the crashes were not my planes.
Old May 27, 2011, 02:02 PM
Wichita, Ks
Joined Jun 2005
1,986 Posts
Plowboy; I always tighten it while it's hot. It still leaks out of the muffler where it joins to the header, more than any other Saito I've owned.

Wayne; I'll prolly just go buy some o-rings. This pipe is more leaky than anything else I've seen on a Saito but you'd think it'd still be OK since I assume it's fairly consistent. Never know though. RC cars get PISSED OFF when there's even the slightest bit of exhaust leak.

-Eric
rccardude04 is offline Find More Posts by rccardude04
Old May 27, 2011, 02:08 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,196 Posts
false alarm guys it turns out I was just being dumb. The motor had been sitting for a while so it had tightened up some. Well I guess the first taste of new fuel and a kick from my starter was a little too much to ask for the first go around. It had backfired but I didn't notice that it had knocked the prop nut loose. That is what my clicking was coming from. I took the spinner cone off and tightened it up and the click is gone.

I got it running and tuned it up to the max rpms of about 10000 with a 15x4w. I feel pretty good about that... it pulls like no other. I think it ran out of fuel before I got it tuned properly and I had to run to work so next time I get it out I'll adjust it properly.

Sorry for the false alarm on the motor but thanks for all your help as usual.

-Nate
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old May 27, 2011, 03:38 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,444 Posts
Wayne... Waldo.....

Thanks for the info and tips

I took a chance at Lowes today, they have some small one, with my luck they wont fit right, had to try. To waldo's point, I aint forcing it to fit, that could be bad.

This Looks Fun!

Marugan Aero Meeting - Iberian Freestyle Championship - Teaser #1 (1 min 34 sec)
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Last edited by DaOldGuy; May 27, 2011 at 03:51 PM.