HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2005, 05:12 AM
Or am I...
Bournemouth, Dorset, UK
Joined Jan 2005
2,461 Posts
Turboprops

Are jet driven prop planes considerd a Jet or a Regular plane, for instance the Piaggo avanti has a jet that drives a prop, Im assumeing that most would categorize it as a regular plane righ??
im-sad is offline Find More Posts by im-sad
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2005, 10:43 AM
bigglesjets
Notts UK
Joined Jul 2005
201 Posts
Hi Im-sad

Collins Dictionary :-)

jet , a aircraft driven by jet propulsion
jet propulsion, propulsion by jet of gas or liquid- jet propelled

Suppose it could pass as a jet,it would look the same with 2 brushless motors jetting it along!!!!!!!!!

HMMMMMmmmmm!

Cheers

Al
bigglesjets is offline Find More Posts by bigglesjets
Last edited by bigglesjets; Dec 03, 2005 at 10:52 AM.
Old Dec 03, 2005, 10:58 AM
bigglesjets
Notts UK
Joined Jul 2005
201 Posts
Hi Im-sad

Hey ,on second thoughts that looks a really nice project, Anyone got plans

Al
Old Dec 03, 2005, 11:16 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
All "jet" engines are technically gas turbines. Turbines are used to drive compressors which push compressed air into combustion chambers where the addition of burning fuel causes rapid expansion of the hot gas which is then used to drive the turbine and you're back to where you started. What you want to do with the "surplus" energy (in the form of hot gas) determines what you end up with. If you just let the hot gas go as a high speed high pressure gas stream you have a jet. If you insert one or more extra turbines into the gas stream which are coupled to a propeller you have a turbo prop (and no jet effect in the exhaust because all the energy has been soaked up by the power turbines). If you couple the power turbines to an electricity generator you have a gas turbine generator etc etc. In practice most modern commercial aircraft "jet" engines are a really a mix of ducted fan and jet. A significant proportion of the intake air is compressed by the big "fan" up front and is then ducted back around the engine (so not through the combustion process) to the rear where, relatively cool and slow in velocity, it mixes with the very hot and high speed gas coming out of the hot bit. Still a jet but quieter and more fuel efficient than a pure jet.
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Dec 03, 2005, 11:20 AM
bigglesjets
Notts UK
Joined Jul 2005
201 Posts
Hi Roger

Thats the best explaination (layman type) I've heard yet! mate

Cheers
Al
Old Dec 03, 2005, 08:54 PM
United States, CA, North Highlands
Joined Aug 2004
595 Posts
To answer the original question a turboprop aircraft is simply a propeller driven aircraft (regular plane if you like) with turbine engine providing the power to turn the reduction gearing and propeller. Take the propeller off and the engine can not provide enough thrust to move the aircraft.
This type of engine was designed to produce mechanical energy (high speed low torque rotational force) to drive something, usualy through a reduction gear system as the turbine speed can be in excess of 40,000 RPM.
As mentioned above the energy can be extracted by use of an extra turbine or turbines which are not physicaly attached to the gas generator (free turbine) Pratt Whitney PT6 is one example .
The energy can be extracted directly from the gas generator shaft (direct drive) Honeywell TPE331 seres engines are one example, both engines drive an attached reduction gear to convert the high rotational speed to a lower speed and increase the torque to drive something.
The first thing that comes to mind when turbine engines are mentioned are aircraft but there are many other things that use turbines for power, ships, trains, tanks, cars, boats, and the list goes on.
Broncomech is offline Find More Posts by Broncomech
Old Dec 04, 2005, 03:00 AM
Or am I...
Bournemouth, Dorset, UK
Joined Jan 2005
2,461 Posts
yeah i know how they work but could planes like the Avanti be put in this fourm?? I also know of the many other uses of turbo-drives, I saw on discovery channel a motorcycle powerd by a gas turbine, really cool.

back to the Q. As here is the fourm for airplanes that are jetlike but prop powered would a turboprop driven aircraft be moved to the , say.. fomies if it was posted here??
Old Dec 04, 2005, 10:47 AM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by im-sad
back to the Q. As here is the fourm for airplanes that are jetlike but prop powered would a turboprop driven aircraft be moved to the , say.. fomies if it was posted here??
That would be the Jets - Pushers Forum

P.S. Your in it
RCParkflyer is offline Find More Posts by RCParkflyer
Old Dec 04, 2005, 01:38 PM
bigglesjets
Notts UK
Joined Jul 2005
201 Posts
Hi Guys

hmmmm, Well! ummmm, errrrr!!!!!!!!, it looks like a jet guys? what do you think?

Al
Old Dec 04, 2005, 02:13 PM
FoamyFactory.com
USA, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Nov 2001
4,356 Posts
Interesting question...

Broncomech hit it right on the head on the . I fly a BE1900D for a living. 1 PT6-67D on each wing. Almost 1350hp per side... The thing is a BEAST! But if I called it a jet, I'd get laughed out of a job...

Now, an Avanti IS a pusher, and it DOES have a jet engine... I think it would fit right in here... It looks fast just sitting still.

I say go for it! My 2 cents...

Tim H.
Tim H. is online now Find More Posts by Tim H.
Old Dec 04, 2005, 03:56 PM
bigglesjets
Notts UK
Joined Jul 2005
201 Posts
Hi Tim
Now if I told a guy that flys D/F or Turbine jets that I fly jets, ummm with a prop on.
Now he would probably laugh at me.

Go for it

I like the Piaggio, anyone got any plans drawn up yet.LoL

Cheers
Al
Old Dec 05, 2005, 03:05 AM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
Simprop Piaggio Avanti P180 ARF Kit (no longer in production)

Hobby Lobby doesn't sell it anymore

FMS Simulator
http://wald.heim.at/schwarzwald/522450/AFPD_models.html
http://wald.heim.at/schwarzwald/5224...vanti_AFPD.zip
Old Dec 05, 2005, 07:32 AM
Or am I...
Bournemouth, Dorset, UK
Joined Jan 2005
2,461 Posts
OK if the avanti could be placed here i have a new Q.

If we made a F18 PJ, and stuck the motor to the nose it wont be out of place here. but say if we put a C-5 which has turboprops(i think) wouldnt it be moved to the foamies or parkflyers or whatever??
Old Dec 05, 2005, 07:57 AM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
If you made that F-18, people would fly to indonesia just to take a hammer to that plane LOL a C-130 has 4 turbo-props, a C-5 is a 4 engine Jet.
Old Dec 05, 2005, 10:55 AM
Phantom Mechanic
Westpoint Utah
Joined Jul 2005
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim H.
Interesting question...

Broncomech hit it right on the head on the . I fly a BE1900D for a living. 1 PT6-67D on each wing. Almost 1350hp per side... The thing is a BEAST! But if I called it a jet, I'd get laughed out of a job...

Now, an Avanti IS a pusher, and it DOES have a jet engine... I think it would fit right in here... It looks fast just sitting still.

I say go for it! My 2 cents...

Tim H.
I used to work on the MUII and I hated the bird.....those D@!* garrett engines were to loudest things out there!!!
PhantomII is offline Find More Posts by PhantomII