HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:41 PM
I ask a lot of questions.
Canada, AB, Airdrie
Joined Aug 2012
211 Posts
Question
Battery assortment for foamies

I am just getting into building foamies (The one-sheeters and "5 Easy pieces" type) and have already downloaded several plans. since i have to order batteries to suit different builds, is there a basic list of common batteries for foamies? I was thinking of a few 3s and 4s batts, but not sure of what mAh sizes are best for these type of planes.

I would like to order several batteries at once from HK instead of ordering piece-meal and always waiting for the slow boat from china to make a delivery.
Disco Stew is offline Find More Posts by Disco Stew
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:55 PM
Fremont, CA
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jan 2009
1,742 Posts
The most popular types IMHO are:
1300 and 2200 mAH both 3S and 4S. Also 850 to 1000mAH in 2S.
I always get second to the lowest discharge rate ( 20C or 25C).
djacob7 is offline Find More Posts by djacob7
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:03 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,949 Posts
All the one sheeters fly with 2s 850-900mah packs. With the 1700kv blue wonder motor and a 7x6 sf prop, they are plenty spritely. I find that I use these batteries for a lot of planes, including the combat wings (f&f type) and the ww2 combat ones. They are cheap and last a couple years of several times a week cycling. I like Gens Ace from hobby partz and the Nanotech from HobbyKing. I have 8 that I use every week between combat and just flying out back, and a couple of old tired ones that I use when i just want to float around for a few minutes.

I also have several 3s packs in the 1K to 1300mah sizes. I fly the faster racer types like the PV2, Mike, Quicksilver, Mooney and my 42" blubabies with them.

The largest packs I currently have are two 1550mah 3s GensAce. Those are used for the superTwin, Quicksilver and once in a while a BluBaby.

I haven't seen the need to go with 4s packs. Partly because many of my planes are small enough to fly fast with just a 2s setup and a high pitch prop, but also because 4s will lead to high current draws, bigger esc's and motors and lots more $, and I'm cheap! Certainly I wouldn't bother with 4s as a beginner.

Another thought, is that I tend to buy packs in pairs. That way I can always have a fresh one if I just can't get enough fun out of a single pack, and I'v also use a wye cord and run them in parallel from time to time to get serious long flight times. Gotta watch that, though as the additional weight sometimes cuts the flight time and it's almost a wash.
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:07 PM
St. Louis
USA, MO, Ballwin
Joined Mar 2010
634 Posts
The plans should have a suggested power system and its requirements. My "one sheet" foamies call for 2s 350mah-400mah batteries.

Airplanes weighing aproximately 25 to 32oz begin to require 3s 1300mah batteries and larger depending on flight time.
Foambird is offline Find More Posts by Foambird
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:15 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,722 Posts
I've standardized most of my foamies to use 3S-1000mAh-30C batteries, along with the same class of motor (TP2408, TP2409 and similar) and 8x4 props. That way, I don't have to bring a lot of spares to the field. This set-up gives me 3-5 minutes of flight time, usually more than enough for me.

I have other batteries in 2S (1300-1600) and 3S (2200-45C), and I try to always have at least two models per type. For example, the 3S-2200 fit both my EDF jet and my 450 heli.
V-Man is online now Find More Posts by V-Man
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:38 AM
Canada, AB, Airdrie
Joined Aug 2012
211 Posts
Thank you for all the replies. I am sure mot of you experienced builders can appreciate the costs involved with getting started. I know there is no single battery that will handle all foamy plans, but I think that getting a few of the "common" ones will at least get me going.

And I guess along the same line of thought, is there a recommendation for the "commonly needed" motors that are the most versatile with sheet foamies? Do you switch motors between planes, or just mount them once and leave them with that plane?
Foambird's comment about exceeding 25 oz will require a slightly larger motor makes sense to me, but now my poor, over-taxed brain needs to understand motors and all their respective differences.

Thanks for everyones input

Cheers,
Stew
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:45 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,949 Posts
1700kv bluewonder 24gm will fly probably half the planes on this forum. If you can only get one get one of them. Hobbyking has one that includes the mount and propsaver for $9 I think.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:37 PM
Canada, AB, Airdrie
Joined Aug 2012
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
1700kv bluewonder 24gm will fly probably half the planes on this forum. If you can only get one get one of them. Hobbyking has one that includes the mount and propsaver for $9 I think.
At that price I'll probably get 2 or three. It's almost winter where I am, and I hope to keep myself busy for the next 6 months making planes. Even if I don't get to fly them, I can learn alot about making them
What ESC would you recommend for those? (Sorry for my noobness)

Is this the "BlueWonder" you speak of? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...%5F1700kv.html

There is also a 3000Kv for the same price. Which option would be best? (I'n not really worried about prices of these things if they are within a buck or two of each other.)
Last edited by Disco Stew; Oct 14, 2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:54 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,949 Posts
any 10-20 amp one will work. I buy several of the HK SS8-10 amp ones at a time as they're only about $6 ea. If you are thinking of running the BW on 3s (doable but one has to watch amp draw, prop size/pitch, etc to keep from burning the motor up) I'd go with 15amp or above just in case. Another factor you will need to keep in mind is the smaller esc's have smaller Battery Eliminator Circuits (BEC's) so if you are building a plane with Rudder, ailerons, elevator, throttle (especially if you use two servos for the ailerons) you will need a bigger esc just for the bec. The cheap HK 10 amp ones are 1 amp bec, ok for a three channel setup, but I wouldn't use them for anything but a 2s 4ch setup with single aileron servo. The specs in each esc's page will show the amp rating for the bec.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:59 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,949 Posts
Stew: your link is correct. HK sells several "versions" (hextronik, turnigy, hobbyking branded) they're essentially the same for a given kv rating, so I get whatever is cheapest. But ya must check to see if propsaver comes with, tho.
They also come in 4 kv's 1300,1500,1700,3000. The first two will fly a 10-14oz plane sedately on 2s with a big prop, or pretty fast on 3s. The 3k will fly similar planes fast on 2s but need a smaller prop. I think the 1700kv is in the sweet spot for power & speed, tho. One of the reviews on the HK page said on 2s with 7x6 prop he got 9.5amp, 70.6 watts & 11.9oz thrust. Pretty hot on just 2s. Cheap thrills!
Also on that same page of HK site is the FC28-12 @ 1534kv. This is a heavier motor, so swings a bigger prop. I use 9x6 & 9x7.5 with this guy on 30's racers 32-36" span, 12-16 oz. And it's only $6.45 now.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:04 AM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stew View Post
At that price I'll probably get 2 or three. It's almost winter where I am, and I hope to keep myself busy for the next 6 months making planes. Even if I don't get to fly them, I can learn alot about making them
What ESC would you recommend for those? (Sorry for my noobness)

Is this the "BlueWonder" you speak of? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...%5F1700kv.html

There is also a 3000Kv for the same price. Which option would be best? (I'n not really worried about prices of these things if they are within a buck or two of each other.)
You can certainly keep flying in the wintertime - small slow flyers indoors ! Check with RC clubs in your area that may have indoor flying , or find a gym or church where they'll let you fly .
How slow can you go RC electric indoor flying 11D4 (5 min 34 sec)
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon