HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:25 AM
United Kingdom, Warrington
Joined Nov 2012
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrumevets View Post
Hang in there George - one way or another we'll get this problem sorted because this plane deserves it!
Yeah it does. Certainly doesn't deserve to be gathering dust ontop of the wardrobe just have to look at it occasionally
Mrgeorgedoors is offline Find More Posts by Mrgeorgedoors
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:47 AM
Angry Bird ...
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
861 Posts
E-Flite 10-15 Nose Retract - it's not good news.

Hmm - looks like things aren't going to be straightforward

Here are some photographs to show you what I mean. The E-flite unit is a completely different size and shape entirely. Of course it doesn't mean that using it isn't possible, but it will/would mean some major surgery.

Notice firstly that the first photo shows how the stock unit has its mounting plate at the top of the main body, but that the E-flite one has its mounting plate on the bottom. This isn't a show-stopper, but means that the mounting stand that comes built into the well in the plane would have to be ground away with a Dremel or something similar. Then we'd need to hope that there was enough solid plastic left at the bottom of the retract well for the mounting plate of the E-flite to be fixed to, and remain firmly attached. This isn't that good to start with.

The photograph with the red mark-up lines (the third one) shows another aspect of the differences between the housings. This one exposes a more significnant problem. Notice that they're positioned to have the centres of the trunnions roughly in line. This is important because the nose leg MUST be in the correct position in the vertical plane to ensure that the gear doors will open and close properly. See how deeply the E-flite unit must be recessed below the bottom of the stock unit - that's a hassle, because at that depth I'm sure I'd be right through the bottom of the retract well and into soft foam ... with nothing to bolt the mounting plate to. One possibility is to dig a hole deep enough to permit gluing a piece of plywood into the bottom of it, and use that as something to screw the mounting plate of the retract into. Got to make sure there's enough room to dig a hole that deep though as I obviously can't afford to meet up with the motor or motor mount

Looks like I'm going to have to think a bit more about this one before breaking out the tools ...
yarrumevets is offline Find More Posts by yarrumevets
Last edited by yarrumevets; Feb 03, 2013 at 03:53 AM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:05 AM
Joined Nov 2012
553 Posts
Ahhh man that sucks BIG time had everything crossed that this wouldn't need major work or more work than what I'm doing now AND I still havnt sorted it since my last attempt jus can't bring myself round to sortin it because I know ill be faffing around for hours blurting out some very strong swear words when it doesn't work!!

Rod
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:59 AM
Angry Bird ...
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
861 Posts
Hmm - yes mate, well we're not done yet ... but it's clear that it's not a five-minute job. I'm having a bit more of a think about it during the week.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:35 AM
Joined Nov 2012
553 Posts
Quote:
Hmm - yes mate, well we're not done yet ... but it's clear that it's not a five-minute job. I'm having a bit more of a think about it during the week.
Wish I had your patience lol
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:57 PM
United States, GA, Dacula
Joined Feb 2011
26 Posts
Hey all.... I've been reading these posts, but not before ordering this on a whim last evening! I don't know what got the best of me... Anyway... I ordered the correct front retract as well... just in case

If this turns out to be half as good as the PZ model, I'll be pleased. My field is rough grass and I seriously doubt the OEM landing gear will last past 1-2 flights.

I'll report back in a month or so when it arrives...
dacula is offline Find More Posts by dacula
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:21 AM
Angry Bird ...
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
861 Posts
I've temporarily installed another new stock nose retract (plastic trunnion and all) just so that I can fly the thing tomorrow. It's not the best solution as we know, but I just want to have it whistling across the field because I haven't flown it for nearly a month and I know the weather is going to be good in the morning.

I've ordered another one of the nose retract wheel-wells - the complete plastic housing with the doors and all. With this available to look at and take measurements from, I hope to come up with a scheme for getting the E-flite gear into place eventually. It might even require a replacement fuselage ... but I hope not. Unfortunately, it'll probably take me a couple of weeks as work ramps up again
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:12 PM
Perth, WA
Joined Jul 2006
468 Posts
Has anyones T-28 gone yellow? my wings/tail/fuse have yellowed

And it's not due to sun.

Very big difference in colour to all the plastic white parts like the canopy.
Same is offline Find More Posts by Same
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:29 AM
Angry Bird ...
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Same View Post
Has anyones T-28 gone yellow? my wings/tail/fuse have yellowed

And it's not due to sun.

Very big difference in colour to all the plastic white parts like the canopy.
Yes - "Same" here!
(Sorry mate, couldn't resist that one).
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:29 AM
Perth, WA
Joined Jul 2006
468 Posts
Quote:
Yes - "Same" here!
(Sorry mate, couldn't resist that one).
Haha! How old is yours? I figured it must have been the quality of the foam as if it had been the sun then only one side of her would have gone yellow.

It doesn't get much sun light at all just a tad on the left.
Same is offline Find More Posts by Same
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:39 PM
Angry Bird ...
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
861 Posts
Had my maiden flight on 8th January last year - so just over a year old. I noticed it yellowing a couple of months ago and thought bugger it - I'll give the whole machine a new airbrushing job some time but I haven't got around to it yet. Apart from it yellowing (and the black sections in the cockpit swelling from being in the sun) the foam is pretty good stuff though, as the surface is still smooth all over.
I'm going to be heading off to the club field with mine in about 10mins, to put my 1800mAh 4S nanotechs through it
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:41 PM
Joined Nov 2012
553 Posts
Hung mine on the wall yesterday so it's out of the way
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:44 PM
Lubbock, TX
Joined May 2008
467 Posts
My 1954 Yellow Dynam T-28

I went yellow with mine from the start. I could not "SEE" it when making turns when it eas in the "Gray" color.

NFG
Navy Fly Guy is offline Find More Posts by Navy Fly Guy
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:23 PM
Aaron
Australia
Joined Aug 2012
1,809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Fly Guy View Post
I went yellow with mine from the start. I could not "SEE" it when making turns when it eas in the "Gray" color.

NFG
Wrong thread dude...
Realms is offline Find More Posts by Realms
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:57 PM
Lubbock, TX
Joined May 2008
467 Posts
Oooopppsss

Sorry!

NFG
Navy Fly Guy is offline Find More Posts by Navy Fly Guy